PDA

View Full Version : Slings on Mags...

zeroack
11-24-2003, 12:05 AM
I'm soon going to have custom mag. I attend a few different scenario games a year and I'd like to sling my mag. Have you seen it done? Can it be done? I'm thinking a single point harness. A loop at the back of the rail. Tell me what you think.

Zero

vf-xx
11-24-2003, 12:15 AM
when I was using a benchy frame I ran a standard sling through the frame under the grip panels.

Severe
11-24-2003, 08:37 AM
The way I addressed this cost me a grand total of like $9.

From either Lowes or HomeDepot, you can go to the wiring section and find, what I think is called, either a wiring clamp or retention clip. These are made of either rubber coated tin or plastic/nylon. Individal tin ones are like $.25 and the nylon ones come in a small pack.

To mount it on the marker, all I did was remove the rear valve screw and place the loop under it. If you use the tin one, a little electrical tape will buffer the frame.

Now all you need is your sling with some sort of hook. I ended up getting mine from a local gun show. It uses 3/4" black nylon material attacked to a "Y" shaped connector. Price was about $7. The part that actually connects the sling to the marker is a metal locking hook like used in the older military "H" harnesses.

With paint and tank the marker hangs perfectly.

If you need pictures I could get some.

Steve

judster
11-24-2003, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by Severe
The way I addressed this cost me a grand total of like $9.

From either Lowes or HomeDepot, you can go to the wiring section and find, what I think is called, either a wiring clamp or retention clip. These are made of either rubber coated tin or plastic/nylon. Individal tin ones are like $.25 and the nylon ones come in a small pack.

To mount it on the marker, all I did was remove the rear valve screw and place the loop under it. If you use the tin one, a little electrical tape will buffer the frame.

Now all you need is your sling with some sort of hook. I ended up getting mine from a local gun show. It uses 3/4" black nylon material attacked to a "Y" shaped connector. Price was about $7. The part that actually connects the sling to the marker is a metal locking hook like used in the older military "H" harnesses.

With paint and tank the marker hangs perfectly.

If you need pictures I could get some.

Steve
yea id like to see some pics...sounds intresting...

zeroack
11-24-2003, 05:59 PM
Severe I'd like to see that too. I work for a major hunting,fishing,camping biz so I'm look'n for a way to attach a good swivel mount, but I'm still intrested to see how your hang'n your rig.

Zero

Severe
11-24-2003, 06:01 PM
Here's a picture of one of our rigs being wore. The player on the right has his automag just hanging.

If you look closely, you can see the black strap coming across his right shoulder down the "Y" connector. There, it attaches to the marker just below the valve.

http://pages.prodigy.net/pirates4ever/images/lg_stevejason.jpg

The way you see the marker hanging there is exactly how it hangs naturally with a full loadout. We also use 30mm red-dot scopes on top so that adds a few more ounces to the load.

I'll get some closeups of my harness once I get home.

Steve

Severe
11-24-2003, 07:17 PM
OK guys, here's some better shots. I know my descriptions were a little rough. The pics are around 170kb each, so sorry if that is a problem.

This first pic just shows the "Y" connector and the back of my 'mag. You can see where I've used the valve retention screw to mount the hardware to the marker.

http://63.219.110.106/bf1942/sling1.jpg

This second pic is with it attached and turned slightly so you can see the hook I used. I would recommend some type of plastic hook since the metal ones like I'm using will scratch the back of the rail. If that's not a huge deal to you, these work great.

http://63.219.110.106/bf1942/sling2.jpg

This last pic I've attached my tank and hopper (which is empty) for a hanging reference. Since this is intended for a cross shoulder sling, it hangs in such a way that it makes it very easy to grab the grip.

http://63.219.110.106/bf1942/sling3.jpg

The only change I would recommend to this setup, which I'm currently looking for myself, is to use a broader or cushioned shoulder strap. The strap will bite in to your shoulder a little bit, but if you're wearing a harness or heavier clothing, it's not bad. But the value of being able to let your mag swing while you read a map or refill your hopper is invaluable.

Let me know if you need more information.

Steve

zeroack
11-25-2003, 05:37 PM
Ahhh nice rig. I can copy that. Thanks for the pics and the instructions. As for your padded strap Cabela's has them for ya. I also think we'll have a pad that slides on to your strap. We also will be carrying a really cool sling in the spring. Thanks for the ideas.

Zero

PCI2000
12-01-2003, 03:35 PM
I used a solution where i looped a wader belt around the grip frame. Was nice and cheap, and I could disconnect at a moment's notice...

Details can be found on my thread here:
http://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=111912

I do like your idea of the o-loop around the field strip screw though. I may consider that later on.