PDA

View Full Version : Automag vs. Spyder and why?

k2spyder
04-29-2002, 09:35 PM
im wondering, what will my resently bought automag do for me better than my spyder will? cuz i need to sell one or the other and i dont know which, because since i run on CO2, the automag last time i used it, started to sputter. and compaired to my spyder i dont know which is better. they both have about the same upgrades (aka expansion chamber, bottom line and such) so i just want to know some resons to keep my automag (besides that it is new) and what it can do for me, i know the spyder is lighter, and i really like that about it, but still, if anyone can help me with what to do that'd be great.

blackmag3
04-29-2002, 09:46 PM
well first off i'd keep the mag but thats me. reasons why i like the mag more than the spyder is how much more reliable a mag is vs. a spyder. at my local field countless spyders go down all day long and hardly ever does a mag have a problem that can't be fixed right away. the mag will also cycle faster meaning that it shoots faster. mags are built to stricter tolerances and are made of better materials. also do you have an anti siphon on your mags tank? if so was the siphon set up for the mag's tank exclusively? if you don't have an anti siphon give a remote a try. i'd keep the mag especially if you are someday (in the future) willing to buy a compressed air tank. mags really thrive on compressed air. i hope this post helps.

ramsee1
04-29-2002, 09:50 PM
What's up? You're the only one that can decide what to do, but I can offer my experience. I've been playing for five or six years, the majority of that time with a Spyder of one type or another. I found that when I started playing Kingman markers were great. As my experience and expectations grew, the marker couldn't really keep up. So out of curiosity and a slightly larger paycheck (notice the word slight), I wound up here. I have a powerfeed automag and an RT on the way and I couldn't be happier. It is ever so obvious that AGD puts in a lot more time, research, and testing of their products; This shows in the product performance and indviduality (is that a word?) of each marker. If you look at the Kingman site each marker is a knock off of the other. In my opinion, adding a drop forward is not worthy of a new name for virtually the same marker. Now I'm not knocking anyone because I really respect both companies, but they are entry level for a reason. And for all the wise guys out there, yes I know a great deal has to do with the skill of the player.
As far as sputtering and troubleshooting the marker. I am sure it is something simple. In the short time I've been here, I've seen most problems solved by changing an o-ring.

blackmag3
04-29-2002, 09:53 PM
ramsee1 i completely agree with you. funny quote.

than205
04-29-2002, 09:58 PM
Your sucking liquid co2 in the mag, it hates it.

1. Get an Anti-siphon co2 tank. Or keep the bottle vertical. Or go remote. (I like the remote option)

2. Get a stabilizer reg.

3. Go to Nitro/compressed air. (co2 still is cheaper by the shot, but isn't as consistant w/o a reg)

Why to keep the mag?
Easy to fix. Rock hard. Very fast. Too fast.

Why to keep your Spider?
You may already know how to maintain it. (if you tell me someone else takes care of it for you, then my point is moot)
You may like it better.
A mag "may" be hard on paint. (some mag owners stay away from very brittle paint)

My suggestion, weigh your options with regards to co2. Try the mag for a while. Read the your bible (owners manual).
Learn a little about it. If you have problems, don't get too frustrated. Ask someone here.
Good luck and welcome the world of Automags!

ramsee1
04-30-2002, 01:05 PM
Thanks, BM3. I think it was Rowdy Roddy Piper from that alien movie. You know the one where they can only be seen if you're wearing those special sunglasses. :D

FrAuStY
04-30-2002, 05:01 PM
Mag before spyder:

I guess I can speak from personal experience. I retired my 4 yr old spyder compact to get an automag. My reasoning was simple. I wanted an accurate, consistent, reliable, high-quality marker.
With the spyder, even having a fieldstrip kit, you still have to remove 5 screws to clean the internals due to breakage. With the mag, you shut-off your air, remove ONE screw, and everything comes out. I can have my mag torn
down and rebuilt in 3 mins. My spyder took that long just to get it apart, minus cleaning and re-lubing.
The spyder is one of the most widely-used "cheap Designs" (Cheap meaning cost to produce not quality of design) As you can see, everyone copied kingmans blow-back design which I think kingman stole from sheridan but who knows..the design is great for people who just want a gun that shoots, thats about it.
They're not consistent, even on air. With my compact running c02 my shots went like 274,260,292,280,262, etc.. +/- 13 fps. With my mag I get like 281,283,282,280,283 etc +/- 3 fps. Great leap in consistency which leads up to better accuracy if there is such a thing in paintball :confused:.
Fact of the matter,
only you can decide which one is best for YOUR interests. No one can prove to you that a mag is better. All I can say is learn like I did.. find someone willing to let you use it for a game or two. Once you learn the trigger pull... its ONNNNn!!!

k2spyder
04-30-2002, 06:15 PM
thanks a lot you guys. you've helped a lot!

oh and ramsee1, indviduality is a word.

blackmag3
04-30-2002, 09:00 PM
i've seen 45-47 ci 3000psi aluminum hpa tanks(maybe not aluminum but it wasnt fiber wrapped) for about 60-80 bones new. i'm thinking of getting one just cause of how small and cheap it is. as long as where you play fills air then a small tank isn't bad at all.

JEDI
05-01-2002, 11:22 AM
What is the name of the Piper movie? It comes up more times between me and the guys. We're playing Saturday finally. If you guys are interested I'll call you soon.

ramsee1
05-01-2002, 12:25 PM
Hey man. I think it's "They Live". Not positive though. We're on for Sat. too. Give me a shout. I think your guys are a lot more relaxed than my guys... everyone's always mad about something lately, it's just getting stupid. :rolleyes:

Automagisurdad
05-01-2002, 10:38 PM
EASY!...sell spyder, take money, buy nitro = great mag that is a million times better than a spyder.

TransMan
05-01-2002, 10:46 PM
il have to go with auto on that one i own and RT and a TL+ im selling the TL+ as we speak

Rambozo
05-02-2002, 10:48 AM
Well there are a few reasons I would keep the mag over the spyder.

Firstly is engineering. Many companys like Kingmann simply design things to work. While companys like AGD design things to work well. AGD puts more effort in research and developement. They spend more time in developing a quality product.

Secondly is the design. I believe the automag has the highest potential when it comes to consistancy. Its allmost as if the marker was designed with consistancy in mind. It has an air chamber that seals off for every shot. This allows it it use a measured set of gas per shot nomore no less. The valve system is just more consistent. Where as the valving on the spider relies on dwell timing.

But this doesnt mean that the mag is for everyone. The person I got mine off of just couldnt use it. Probably couldnt get used to the trigger and was short stroking. Anyway it just didnt work out for him. But its working like a dream for me.

And Mags do NOT like co2. Like these guys say its the liquid. But If you was to run antisiphon and a palmer you should be ok. I generally run my mag on co2 like this with no problems. Just keep in mind that when you use co2 that cold weather does have an effect on it. Also so2 isnt nearly as consistant as nitro or compressed air. So running it on co2 really doesnt do the gun justice. But if you configure it right I can perform quite well on it.

Just my $0.02

magatron
05-02-2002, 02:45 PM
is with automagisyourdad. i had a spyderflash and had to put like 150bucks into it just for it to be nearly consistan, and after a new reg, valve, springs, and bolt, it was still +-20 fps. with a mag, your getting consistancy and relieably, greatly surpasing anything kingman could ever mass produce. keep the mag and you wont be disapointed.

Automagisurdad
05-02-2002, 03:09 PM
co2 aint cheaper where i come from i get my 64 4500 filled for 3.30 and thats 1000+ shots instead of an expensive co2 tank. and dude if your gonna buy a new gun RESEARCH IT!!! when i decided to buy a automag i decided no co2 would ever be shot through it.