PDA

View Full Version : Bolt Mystery and Leaking

Bonx0007
05-12-2002, 02:16 PM
Ok I was at the field this weekend and I was getting all my stuff ready. I gased up my gun before I put any paint in it because I always like making sure it is firing properly.
Gun Specs: 68 automag with retro valve, .215 spacer, I believe .745 on/off pin, Intelli frame with a little space between trigger rod and the trigger(never adjusted it), warp feed intelli linked, pmi pure energy preset 68cu 3000psi steel tank
Well it wasn't firing properly. Every time I placed my finger on the trigger I would get a very inconsistent leak down the barrel. For the life of me I could not figure out what o-ring it was. I changed alot of them: all 3 in the on/off , reg seat, and power tube. it was still giving me a little piss sound before the trigger was completely pressed. I changed to a longer spacer(.220) because I already had the .215 spacer in and I wanted to try anything. Well it just got worse when I did that. So I changed back to the .215 Then my friend told me to change my bolt with the one he had. So I said why not. so I went from this, what I believed was a long nose bolt to a bolt that had a shorter outside covring but the nose or venturi piece extened over the outside covering(short or long nose someone please clarify the difference for me). I will show pictures. anyway after I changed to this new bolt my leak stopped and the gun worked perfectly.:confused: ???????? I had no idea that the bolt could make the gun leak. If you people could shed a little insight that would be nice. I want to know what would causeed this. The bolt that made the valve leak was the bolt I got stock w/ my retro valve.

Bonx0007
05-12-2002, 02:18 PM
Stock bolt that came with retro valve I rounded the front edge a little but I doubt this had anything to do with the leaking.:confused:

Bonx0007
05-12-2002, 02:19 PM
Friends bolt that I replaced my stock one for.I am not sure if it is a long or short nose one:confused: :confused:

Bonx0007
05-12-2002, 02:22 PM
Here they are side by side. My gun now is starting to feel more reactive with this new bolt. The edge was not rounded on it but I only got 2 breaks out of 2500 one wasn't my fault. Friend does not know how to pull the trigger correctly.

a_malfunction
05-12-2002, 05:46 PM
The one that came stock with the retro is the extended hardnose bolt. Your friend's is the standard hardnose bolt. As for the leaking with different bolts, it might be that your bolt is defective. Milled out of tolerances, perhaps? You'll have to get someone with a bit more knowledge on the subject to help you with this.

RobAGD
05-12-2002, 07:09 PM
What you were seeing was the bolt riding up further on the sear from wear. This will cause that little leak, check teh edge of your bolt and sear for wear.

-Robert

Bonx0007
05-12-2002, 07:47 PM
ok my guess is that it will be hard to see. When I look at the two bolts the edge that grabs the sear looks about the same. How often does this happen to bolts. I have never heard of this happening to anyone else here?Is there anyway to fix it so it doesn't happen again or am I going to be replacing bolts every 6 months. Thats about how long i have gad that bolt. I go about once every two weeks or so. I didn't think it would wear out so quickly.

Wheelman
05-13-2002, 03:55 PM
So what is the difference in bolts anyway?? I have one of each too and was wondering the difference, and which on is better?

Bonx0007
05-13-2002, 04:24 PM
I didn't grind the standard hard nose and only broke 2 out of 2500. One was not my fault. I like it better because it is a little lighter and I think it feels a little better. Some technical info might be nice though.Anyone?

Minimag4me
05-13-2002, 05:28 PM
the one with the extended outside cover is the longnose, the one with the venturi like part sticking out is a shortnose.

You may want to try a slightly longer on off pin to reduce wear.

Bonx0007
05-13-2002, 06:30 PM
wear on which part the bolt? whats up brad!

Minimag4me
05-13-2002, 08:55 PM
like when i had the hyper the problem was too short of a on/off pin. It caused the sear and bolt to wear. I dont know if that could happen with your setup. The wear would be at the base of the bolt where the sear catches. It should be noticibly different from the working bolt though. I cant see any wear from the pics though. Maybe the elves ran away from your bolt.

any news on next practice yet?

Bonx0007
05-14-2002, 01:01 AM
THanks man, I will be posting next practice tomorrow.:)

Gohmz
05-14-2002, 10:08 AM
Buy a spyder!