PDA

View Full Version : Spring Powered Ram Return? (Cocker Related, sorry)

WonTon
08-17-2002, 02:58 AM
I'm sure someone has thought of this before, but it occured to me when I was thinking of ways to bring down my pnuematic pressure on my STO...

Everyone wants to have a cocker that won't bust balls if the bolt was to close on a paintball, ie, "pinch". Most people have been able to achieve this through use of lighter hammer springs (which in return often comes lighter valve springs), heavier hammers, and of course an adjustable LPR. While they may be able to turn the pressure way down, they lose speed...

Obvously, you need to have enough cocking pressure pushing out the back block to cock the gun and have the bolt clear the breech so a paintball can feed. But then, you want as soft a pressure coming foreward as possible...

So, people want it strong in the beginning and light at the end, but since it's all from the same LPR you have to make do with one pressure, the minimum it takes for the back block to cock and the bolt to clear the breach.

What I was to take the 3 way, and make it a 2 way... (or, for the techies, take a "4 way" and make it a REAL 3 way)

Then, have the hose from the LPR go into the first barb, and a hose going from the last barb in the 2 way to the front barb of the ram. Then, put a spring of some sort (disposable mechanical pencil spring?) into the ram to push it into the return position.

When I'd pull the trigger, the gun would shoot, and then I could have my rock jacked all the way in for all I care, just enough to combat the force of the ram spring, hammer spring, and have the bolt clear the breach.

Then, when I let go, the air would clear out of the ram through the hose, and the spring (light) would return the back block/ram/bolt to its/their original positions...

I think it would work, if anyone has a stock cocker or something they could donate I'd try it.

Anyone else have input? Has this already been tried? Has this idea already been proven negative?

LMK, if I get enough positive and little enough negative I might just have to try it...

Peace
Alan VanToai
Pev's Paintball Rockville
14-year-old Paintball Addict

08-17-2002, 09:55 AM
www.apbbolts.com has a spring loaded bolt to stop on a ball.

sniper1rfa
08-17-2002, 10:13 AM
its called a single acting cylinder and a 2/3 valve. you could just buy the parts, and not have to worry about modifying the current parts.
and yes, as long as you drilled the ram to return faster, it would work beautifully.

TRIAD
08-18-2002, 02:31 PM
The bolt I bought from APB is neither the right size, nor do the valve opening, push-pin hole, etc. line up. I have to give them a call, but be careful, they could all be like that.

WonTon
08-18-2002, 08:16 PM
I saw them at IAO, and stuck my finger in a cocker w/ the bolt on it, and i must say, the spring didn't do jack... My STO cocker w/ whatever the heck springs I got in there and the Rock turned down with a Shocktech Superfly bolt was easier on my finger than that crap bolt... the spring didn't do jack

Alan

nerobro
08-19-2002, 08:42 PM
actually the fist autococking guns WERE spring return... Air is still probally the ideal way to return the back block. You can adjust return force by changing the diameter of the shaft in the ram.

In fact the palmer quickram is deisgned with this in mind. You get the same effect with minirams.

08-21-2002, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by TRIAD
The bolt I bought from APB is neither the right size, nor do the valve opening, push-pin hole, etc. line up. I have to give them a call, but be careful, they could all be like that.

when i was at the iao, i saw bolts for <99, 2k+, works, evolution/p block cockers. you probally just asked for the wrong one.

Originally posted by WonTon
I saw them at IAO, and stuck my finger in a cocker w/ the bolt on it, and i must say, the spring didn't do jack... My STO cocker w/ whatever the heck springs I got in there and the Rock turned down with a Shocktech Superfly bolt was easier on my finger than that crap bolt... the spring didn't do jack

the only thing that is keeping the equil and opisite reaction from the ball from pushing the bolt back is the weight of the bolt, and the spring tension (the two are probally just what is needed + a little of a safety margin). the bolt was easy on my finger so i was impressed.

orangejulius
08-22-2002, 04:59 PM
theres a better design much better and I am in the way of patenting it :) where you are able to adjust the spring.

Jonny05
08-26-2002, 06:43 PM
I made almost the exact same thing about 4 months ago...

Man... people think a lot alike.

After doing some testing I made an adjustable spring tension and something I won't mention for obvious reasons.

PBpunk
08-28-2002, 09:25 PM
here is my idea:

take a regular 4-way, ram and springs and everything take the ram spring that was talked about earlier in the ram and put it on the other side of the piston that way you can set your pressure really low and what the spring does then is it helps cock the gun on the way back and on the way forward it takes some of the forward pressure off thus less or no chops

tell me what you think

here are some pictures i scribled up real quick i dont know if they will help

http://geocities.com/staticlight/rama.bmp
http://geocities.com/staticlight/ramb.bmp

for some reason you cant use the links so just copy the addresses and paste them into your address bar it works

PBpunk
08-30-2002, 11:11 AM
hey i just want to know if anybody thinks my idea will work. i would really like to try it but dont have the resources right now. so if anyone else wants to try that would be sweet. or if any one has seen anything like this before.

something else i thought about it would probably have to be a ram with a pretty big barrel (shocktech, STO or something not ans or anything that size) to fit a big/long/stiff enough spring in it