PDA

View Full Version : how to make an emag easier on batteries.

athomas
03-24-2003, 07:46 PM
How to make an emag easier on batteries?

There has been a lot of talk on the boards about magnetically assisted trigger frames to reduce the pull force of manual trigger frames. Why not apply that technology to the emag frame. What if the sear assembly which pulls in at about 4lbs of pull (may vary by gun setup) were to have about 3lbs of magnetic assisted preload. The electronic solenoid would then only have to provide the extra 1 lb of force to fire the gun. Since the required force is reduced by 75%, then the electrical current required to pull the solenoid could also be reduced. This would mean that lower rated batteries could be used to power the mighty emag with no detrimental effects. The front battery grip could be made smaller and lighter.

Any comments and ideas?

Redkey
03-25-2003, 11:09 AM
Not sure how the emag works...

But, if you use magnets to assist the solenoid and reduce the pull force from four to three pounds... won't you be pushing against the same magnetic force when you push the solenoid back into firing position?

So... while you are using less energy to fire the gun you need more energy to cock it?

Not sure if there is enough metal and room for magnets to actually achieve 3 lbs of force either... couldn't you just use a spring to preload it?

Again... never played with an emag so I'm just guessing here.

hitech
03-25-2003, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by Redkey
Couldn't you just use a spring to preload it?

I've been meaning to test that theory on a classic 'mag. Use a spring to preload the sear/trigger. I'd think it would work even better on a ReTro valve since it returns with more pressure that required to pull.

Anyone want to try it on a classic 'mag? All you need is the stock grip that you are willing to modify to put a spring in.

athomas
03-25-2003, 03:39 PM
I'm not sure of the actual pressure that can be exerted by a rare earth magnet, but if the same effect can be achieved by spring or some other form of pressure then it achieves the same thing. It is the idea that I'm interested in.

I've thought about trying the spring on the classic mag. If I find an appropriate spring I am going to try it.

The retro valve should work no problem. Even if the preload force is almost as high as the pull force, the retro force is going to be considerably higher because of the greater force of the gun's input pressure.

The classic may not be as forgiving. The return pressure would have to be sufficient to accelerate the sear and trigger assembly back to its starting position in a timely manner. There will be a point where the increase in preload will slow the assembly down. I just wonder how close to get that force.

nicad
04-16-2003, 01:36 PM
I had a hyperframe that was tempermental.. I had to mount as assisting spring under the (back part of the) sear to help the poor 'noid. workd pretty good once i tuned the spring just right..

la690
04-23-2003, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by hitech

I've been meaning to test that theory on a classic 'mag. Use a spring to preload the sear/trigger. I'd think it would work even better on a ReTro valve since it returns with more pressure that required to pull.

Anyone want to try it on a classic 'mag? All you need is the stock grip that you are willing to modify to put a spring in.

in the tech forum a long time ago somebody did this. they stretched a spring from a pen and put it on the trigger rod to push against the frame. the person said it made the trigger pull a lot easier but it also made it easier to short sroke.

Viral
05-05-2003, 05:06 PM
I've had pretty much this exact same mod on my classic Mag for years. I started with a little spring (slightly stronger than a pen spring) and started cutting it down until it quit short stroking.

My main goal was to eliminate the "play" in the trigger. I wanted to keep it tight against the push-rod until i fired it, but it does lighten the trigger pull a bit. Like someone pointed out, you just have to find the right balance so taht it doesn't start short stroking when your tank pressure drops.

I can post pics of it if you are intersted, though there's not much to see...

--Viral

AGD
05-06-2003, 10:20 PM
Guys,

I would only answer this here because its the only place anyone would understand it. Using a preload to offset the trigger weight is EVERYONES first idea on how to improve the pull. Don't you think we would have thought of that?

Well we did and after a lot of trial and error we discovered that ANY tension you preload on the trigger turns the on/off pin into its own regulator and screws with the pull and your velocity.

Please take my word for it, its a waste of time, you will on get frustrated.

AGD

athomas
05-07-2003, 10:21 AM
Good point. Never considered that.