PDA

View Full Version : Lathes and other machining machines (yes I'm tired)

Matt_mg
06-28-2003, 12:16 AM
Can anyone tell me if the following lathe could be used to make markers? (ie drill holes for macroline fittings, bodies, make threads for barrels and the like)

http://www.toolex.ca/lathe.htm#CH-350

I'm really ignorant for now and I'm trying to find equipement and info...

Thanks for helping a newbie, I'll pass it on when I get some experience ;)

magmonkey
06-28-2003, 08:16 AM
If I were you I would keep my eyes on the auction pages in your local newspaper and wait for a local machine shop to go up for auction in my mind buying a decent used machine is alot better than buying a new low end machine

I got my first bridgeport at auction with digital readouts for $700 I bought a doall lathe that needed a bit of work for 500 (I put $1000 into it but I now have a nice lathe that will do just about anything I want)

just keep your eyes open and keep in mind to do anything heavy you will need 220 power and most likley a phase converter

askman
06-28-2003, 09:13 AM
if you are looking at the lathe/mill combo, I would recommend something beefier. The light lathe would be good enough for cutting aluminum but I would be concerned about cutting barrel thread.

the mill you are looking at will probably do light drilling and some milling cuts. Main problem that I see, is that it is really light duty, meaning that chance of bit chatter is really high. I've had mill like that, and you had to cut really slow. I would recommend the benchtop mill like the TDM30 with R8 quill. I've used ones like that, is it is decent for most aluminum milling and drilling. Good for 5mil tolerance. I am spoiled, and Digital readout is really nice to have...

I guess it all comes down to what you really want to accomplish and how much you want to pay. if money is less of an object, bridgeport style with DRO or CNC is really nice. but they are at least 5k or so... unless you get a really good deal on used one...

Matt_mg
06-28-2003, 11:02 PM
thanks guys.

I really appreciate how people help each other on this forum, we have to keep it up this is a really great place for noobs like me :)

And eventually noobs learn and get to teach so it's never wasted!

luke
07-02-2003, 09:40 AM
This does not directly answer your question, but, here's a link to a thread I started sometime back, you may be able to glean some information from it.

http://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=63503