Thread: Tom's Tech Tip #5-Statistics Without Math

bunderwood Guest

Tom's Tech Tip #5-Statistics Without Math

Greetings all.
    This is my first post to AO, but I have visited many times. I look forward to talking to you.

I am in a intro to statistics class at DeVry this semester, and I brought Tom's Tech Tip #5 (Statistics without Math) up for discussion on our class message board. I was wondering if someone familiar with the data collection for this study could fill in some details like ...
    * type of gun used
    * barrel used
    * paint used
    * temerature on day of testing
    * other relevant stuff etc.

As a "couldn't be happier" Minimag owner, I can tell from personal experience that the 'gun shoots perfectly. It is the guy behind it that could always aim with more accuracy.

Thanks for reading this post.
    See y'all out on the field.

Welcome to AO!

Welcome. Please don't feed the Jack & Coke.
    Lets see some pics of your Mini

Welcome to AO. I'm not sure actual guns were used and those diagrahms were from real shots. To me it shows how the topic of accuracy can be twisted. It shows a possible pattern of 2 guns shooting, and while they look the same which one is better?
    Feedback from: AO,PBN

I really have nothing to add to the topic, but I'd like to wish you luck in the class. I too go to DeVry (Seattle campus) and took Stats. Let's just say I passed, but it wasn't pretty (and I like math!). Anyway, good luck and have fun.

Originally posted by Jack & Coke
    Welcome to AO!

devry nation-wide pre-reunion on AO?? >.<

I attend at the fremont, CA campus....took statistics but passed without doing any real work :-/...not sure about the answers to your questions, bunder, but I'm sure someone here can answer them...
    - natgry -

Re: Tom's Tech Tip #5-Statistics Without Math

Originally posted by bunderwood
    * type of gun used
    * barrel used
    * paint used
    * temerature on day of testing
    * other relevant stuff etc.
    No gun was actually fired. The groups are all hypothetical representations. This wasn't a comparison between certain brand names, but how a comparison can easily be done by anyone willing to gather a variety of guns and paint brands.

The accuracy tests can be made neutral, by forcing all the tested guns to shoot the same course and direction. Again, easily done.

Make a wood frame with a 10"X20" slot or window, at 5' above the ground. Place this frame 25' in front of your firing bench, with a 24" circle target at 75' downrange.

Shoot over a chrono for every shot, and ONLY COUNT THOSE THAT REACH YOUR SET SPEED (say 280fps). Discard all other shots. Using sandbags or some sort of rest that will hold or prop up each gun the same, shoot through the slot at the target. Only those shots going through the slot will be counted.

Using as many different brands/makes of paint, and as many different brands/makes of barrels possible, interchanged among all the markers as a set ('Mag with .670 JJ barrel and marbs, then Angel with .670 JJ barrel and the SAME box of marbs) to get your comparison results.

Since all guns MUST shoot through the same window, at the same speed, at the same target, in the same environment, with all the same equipment, at the same angle, all the variables will be kept to an absolute minimum, yet equally distributed among all the guns. Count the hits on the target for every new variable that is made (change a barrel, count the new hits. change bag of paint, count hits)

You can't use customized guns, they must be as factory stock as possible to be fair.

This little test will prove that all guns will shoot the same distance, same place, since they all MUST shoot to the same standards.

bunderwood Guest
    Hey guys.
    Thanks for the warm welcome...
    And thanks for the info on the stats stuff. I shared Army's response with my group. I 'preciate it.

Hey Coffey, as far as pics go I will be happy to take some and put em up. Give me a day or two.
    In the meantime, a quick description...

I am fond of a compact setup. For the most part, the gun is a level 7 stock mini. I switch between 3 barrels: Boomstick, Progressive, and the 8" stock mini barrel. (Basically tight, medium, and large bore.) I use two drop forwards together to put my tank where I like it. On the grip frame is a Dye Drop Forward. Attached to that is a Warped Sportz drop forward with an on/off knob. The tank (a Nitro Duck 90cu 4500psi - with a centerflag Hyperflow reg) screws into the ASA. With mircoline run to the gas thru grip, and I'm good to go. This puts the center of gravity right at the grip, which I LOVE. The gun is not back or front heavy and is easy to use all day. On top is the typical 12volt revvy.

I am thinking about a double trigger. My thought is to buy an Intelliframe and link it to the revvy. Have you got any experience with this? If so, how do you like it? Let me know.
    Thanks.
    ~B

Originally posted by bunderwood
    I am thinking about a double trigger. My thought is to buy an Intelliframe and link it to the revvy. Have you got any experience with this? If so, how do you like it? Let me know.
    Thanks.
    ~B
    The i-frames are awsome! Very nice trigger pull, especially once you get used to it. Also, there is the y-grip. It's basically the same thing as the i-frame, but with a forward angle that is supposed to put your hand in a more natural posistion. I havn't personally tried the Y, but I have an i-frame and it's an awsome trigger.

Welcome to AO!

I have a Y and an intelli. I would say get the Y before the intelli. If for some weird reason you don't find it incredibly comfortable you will have no trouble finding someone to trade you an intelli for it. It can be intelli'ed also. Putting the switch in the frame and wiring it and the revy were pretty fun. I soldered my connections so any excuse to solder is welcomed
    --edit-- I think Y's are currently out of stock

bunderwood Guest
    Coffey Nitro,
    Sorry for the delay, but here is that picture I promised you. I mentioned the double drop forward, and this is what I tried to describe. Pretty standard in most other respects. For sure, this is the most trustworthy performer on the field. Makes me laugh though, that my setup is taller than it is long!

Brad