Thread: accuracy Via bolt

accuracy Via bolt

Ok, right now i'm talking about spyders. I know some of you smarties here know spyders well so i find this the best place to ask the question.

How much does the bolt affect the accuracy of the ball on a spyder.

the reason i ask this question is because on another forum a kid is trying to explain how a venturi helps because it doesn't make the ball change shape like a bolt without a venturi.

he tried explaining it using the example of how long it takes a ball to return to normal shape after pushing a dent into the ball with your finger but i thought that was rediculous.

actually an openface bolt puts the air over a larger surface area on the ball, contrary to what venturi claims are(they put smaller high pressure jets around the outside of the ball) its a common law of physics that a gas expands to fill the area its contained in untill it reaches equilibrium, so with an open face bolt the ai spreads over the entire surface of the back of the ball. i dont know if you get what i'm saying, but thats what happens.

also tom kaye proved that paintballs dont deform like waterballons when being shot

i think i understand what you're saying but i dont really see how that answers the question on how much the bolt affects accuracy.

the bolt can affect accuracy, althought its mostly dependent on the barrel and paint. bolts with open faces, as Der Cockermeister said, you could say is the "most accurate" mainly because it distributes force over most of the ball, instead of in a few parts with a venturi. in laimens terms, its a bit like trying to shoot a spitball with one giant straw instead of a bunch of little coffee straws.

not to mention tom kaye went through who knows how much R&D to research paintball's behavior with different bolts, to find which was the best, and open faced turned out to be the winner
    SIG RULES SUCK REAL BAD AND THEYRE STUPID AND DUMB AND THEY STINK AND ARE STUPID AND I HATE THEM AND THEY SUCK REAL BAD

From the moderator of the Kingman Forum on PBN

The bolt does not affect accuracy in any positive manner. It CAN however impart backspin (but it requires a radical bolt design to do so) but backspin generally causes a ball to be less accurate.

So no. the bolt doesn't affect accurcay.
    To be an AGD supporter, one cannot be an AGD bigot. -Nero

Truth is a complex thing. One must govern by simplicity. -M. Mercier, special counsel to his Majesty for domestic matters. The Brotherhood of the Wolf

"You can't outrun Death forever, but you can make the bastard work for it."

Every decent bolt should perform the same, but a real crappy bolt will have a noticeable downside. I had a cooper t undershot bolt for my parts box cocker once. With good paint to barrel fit it was just normal like any other good cocker. But once i fired micro sized paint in my oversized All American, paint was zinging all over the place. I even thought i saw it zig zag horizontally once.

I remember Doc Nickel mentioning once that an Angel comes stock with a venturi style bolt and the most popular mod is an open face. While a cocker comes stock with an open face yet a venturi bolt is touted as essential.

There's an assumption by most people in paintball. Stock = bad. When that's just not the case usually. Same goes for radio control cars. (I was stuck in that hobby for a while... and learned what was good stock, and what really needed replacement) Oh well. :-) Keep your wits about you.

Regardless of what many companies would like you to believe, there isn't much that an aftermarket bolt can do for accuracy. The only thing that you can gain by adding a new bolt is possibly efficiency/velocity. Newer style delron bolts are a nifty thing to have as there is little blowback and you don't have to oil them, other than that, I would stick with the stock bolt and remove the venturi piece from the center.

wow, great job digging up a dead thread ;-) Well said though. Still a subject that's been regurgitated so many times it makes me sick :-/