AO,

Once again I have been asked to give an interview for a school paper. This has come up before and this time I am posting it on the forum. AGAIN I am going to give truthfull answers that a lot of people are not going to like. This is the real world, you have to take the good with the bad. This is not for someone asking what path he should take in life its for a school report.

1.) What schools did you attend and how many years did you attened each?
High school only, I quit college after one semester because I didn’t like it. Don’t make this mistake.
2.) What degree did you obtain?
None (see above)
3.) Why did you choose this career?
I didn’t choose to be in paintball I was forced into it when a very large customer went overseas. I did want to own a business that manufactured things.
4.) What factors or people influenced you to choose this career?
While hitch hiking across the country at 17, a man I met saw my backpack that I had made myself. He told me that I could make A LOT of money working for some people he knew. That didn’t happen but it started me thinking….
5.) What do you do with math(like what products do you make using math)
I don’t use math directly but do use it extensively in the software we use like CAD and FEA. Fortunately todays software makes a lot of math invisible.
6.) How do you use math in your career?
See above
7.) What are some joys and struggles of your career?
The joys are when you make it work well. The struggles are when they want it to be a different color
8.) What are some joys and struggles that have resulted for you because of your career choice?
Creating things from nothing means that most of the time, most of the people don’t think you can do it. The joy comes when you finally do but that only lasts a short time compared to the climb up the hill. You really have to love the climb.
9.) Would you recommend the career you are in to a person and why or why not?
I would recommend a career in engineering but NOT in paintball. Engineering means you make something that works, paintball means you make something people THINK works.
10.) What classes or other things should one be doing during high school to prepare yourself for joining a career like yours?
Classes are boring, projects are fun! Do something like a robotic competition, if you get into it then the classes are a lot less boring.
11.) Are there any other important things I should know about?
Besides making money a career must have some personal accomplishment to be fulfilling. Too many times people choose a path that looks “cool” on tv etc. Make sure what ever path you choose it’s as natural for you as going to sleep at night, you will be in it for the rest of your life!

AGD