Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Kid just got accepted to The Citadel...

The Kid just got accepted to The Citadel...

Yea. We got the BIG envelope in the mail today. He is accepted. And we still waiting to hear on the ROTC scholarship at Clemson. And also he tells me he had an offer to interview for an ROTC scholarship down at the Citadel we now need to make an appointment to do that and see what happens on that one. But he is in at the Citadel.

AGD, where we are so good we can do it with only ONE tube!

cphilip.com

Wow, thats quite an achievement.

A site for gay and alternative lifestyles: www.zakvetter.com

Thumbs up

Congratulations!

Holy Guacamole!

That is awsome. Tell him Congratulations for me. I bet you are super proud.

Oh well don't congradulate me... That place is not cheap!

We need that dam scholarship if we can get it.

Tell him to go to Clemson!
    Dub V

Where greatness is learned
    and couches are burned

WOOHOO CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!

You might be interested in this little fact Mango...

If he ends up going there he is wanting to study Criminal Justice. They supposedly have one of the top ones in the country there under their Poly Sci Dept. He is an Explorer now as a matter of fact.

Phil,

Tell your boy good going !

I hope it goes well with the ROTC interviews.

-RObert
    Serving AGD customers since 93, wishing I could beat some common since into some of them about 5 hrs later.

Originally posted by RobAGD
    Phil,

Tell your boy good going !

I hope it goes well with the ROTC interviews.

-RObert
    Will do Rob. And hell yea them scholarships WE NEED EM!!!

Total cost for four years at the Citadel is 52 THOUSAND dollars. I got 20 grand of that covered but thats it... the rest we gotta find. But...well if its what he wants to do then we do it.

Congrats!!!

Good school even if it isn't in the ACC!

Best of luck!

As for the $, make sure he applies for grants too!!!

Grants, loans, scholarships...sell his body on the street...whatever we gotta do.

Wow that is awsome! I was there for a week this summer SC AFJROTC Leadership School(infact Im wearing the shirt right now) Make sure he is awair of how the life is thier. Lol I dont know about the rest of the doorms , but the one we where in had NO AC at all.
    -AKA Viking
    -WASED Out
    -Halo B,rip drive,z code
    -14 in. Ultralite

CALEB! You have reached the pinnacle of Southern military pride, you have some HUGE footprints to fill! OUTSTANDING! I couldn't be happier for you

GO DAWGS!

Tell him I said great job! Now good luck with the scholarships!
    I have worked with some of their Cadets and worked for some of the officers they have produced. Very impressive. He has even more hard work in front of him now!
    Good Luck!
    Last edited by Doobie; 10-01-2003 at 08:37 PM.

The gun is 1/8" of a game that is a FOOT long!
    (...but a 'mag helps)
    I know I was born and I know that I'll die...the in between is mine. -Eddie Vedder
    Sinister Sainthood

Originally posted by cphilip Grants, loans, scholarships...sell his body on the street...whatever we gotta do.
    I've found that one to be the most effective.

Jobs, loans, scholarships, and grants are the way to go.

Heh, if you're throwing 20k his way for school that's really nice. I haven't gotten much $$$ support from my family. It just isn't practical. Besides there is something about earning your way through college that adds just a bit more to the experience IMO.

/whispers: Now what's the Citadel? Sounds like some militant cult type place thingy.

Originally posted by vf-xx
    /whispers: Now what's the Citadel? Sounds like some militant cult type place thingy.
    The Citadel is one of two PREMIER military colleges in the USA, West Point being the other. The Citadel has a rich and proud alumni history of Famous Generals and US Presidents.

To be a "Ring-Knocker" is a valued commodity in the military.

That's about what I figured.

It was a premier male only military school until that fat cow Shannon What-ever-her-name was sued to enter. She then promptly dropped out one week in! It was national news a few years ago.

Tradition sacrificed to PC. Jeez, the women were admited due to federal funds going to the school. Maybe a few men ought to look at some women only colleges and sue to get in!

But I digress.

Congrats again to CCaleb!!!!!

Originally posted by pbguy888
    Wow that is awsome! I was there for a week this summer SC AFJROTC Leadership School(infact Im wearing the shirt right now) Make sure he is awair of how the life is thier. Lol I dont know about the rest of the doorms , but the one we where in had NO AC at all.
    LOL yea they have leadership school there don't they. Oh we been there many times. He knows its stark and bleek. And a real challenge.

No there are no AC dorms at all. All four Quads are the same. Including the new one they building now. And all Cadets rooms are almost exactly the same. Upper and lower classmen. It would not be my choice. But he knows exactly what its like and still its his top choice of where he wants to go.

I've found that one to be the most effective.

Jobs, loans, scholarships, and grants are the way to go.

Heh, if you're throwing 20k his way for school that's really nice. I haven't gotten much $$$ support from my family. It just isn't practical. Besides there is something about earning your way through college that adds just a bit more to the experience IMO.

Oh he will have to work. I been putting money into a prepaid tuition program for him the last four years. So I have the tuition covered. Which is 5K a year. However because they have to stay there and they have to have a lot of uniforms thats where the costs are I did not have or have covered. Its 11K more the first year and 7K more each year there after. 4K difference that first year is upfront uniforms for the full four years. You drop out...you lose. So thats the other 32K we gotta fincance and save and all. So grants and scholarships will ease that if we can get em. I can maybe come up with 4K or 5K a year of that on my own without them. Maybe. So we see. But I should think he will have to work summers and all for spending money.

The incident with female admittance was due to the fact they are a State Supported School. But that is a close dipiction otherwise of how it happened.

From what I know it is one of two Non "direct" Military Academies (although run by Military people) that still gives direct Commissions just like the Academies do. It and VMI. It is a tradition laden place and Graduates network and it leads to more things. For instance, he was at a talk given by Senator Gresham Barrett Monday night. And after that Caleb was able to speak with the Senator. When the Senator found out he was planning on going to the Citadel (we did not know at the time he was Accepted) the Senator introduced him to his Aid and instructed the Aid to take his name, phone and address and then asked Caleb if he wanted to be a Legislative Aid for him in the Summers. It seems the Senator is a Citadel Grad. So he is now in with that job for the Summers. If he goes to the Citadel that is.

Oh I almost fogot. The Senator also told him he was going to submit a letter of recomendation to West Point for him. Now everyone knows a letter from a Senator is one of the things you HAVE to have to get into West Point.
    Last edited by cphilip; 10-01-2003 at 09:51 PM.

What does your son want to do with his Criminal Justice degree? Is he interested in local law enforcement, Federal law enforcement, or pursuing a legal degree? If its Federal, PM me, I can give some advice if you like.
    Last edited by Steelrat; 10-01-2003 at 09:53 PM.

That I have no idea. I just know he is into Explorers right now and I think eventualy he was thinking Law School maybe.

Sometimes he lies to me. So I suggested Politics but however he is not that good of a liar....

Oh I been meaning to ask you thing Steerat, do you want me to change your user name to Steelrat like you ment to or are you comfortable with the name now?
    Last edited by cphilip; 10-01-2003 at 10:01 PM.

Changing it to Steelrat would be like mana from heaven. Oh please please please change it The name screwup was a good schtick for a while, but its a little old now...

Mana is served

Refresh.

Originally posted by 1stdeadeye

It was a premier male only military school until that fat cow Shannon What-ever-her-name was sued to enter. She then promptly dropped out one week in! It was national news a few years ago.

Tradition sacrificed to PC. Jeez, the women were admited due to federal funds going to the school. Maybe a few men ought to look at some women only colleges and sue to get in!

But I digress.

Congrats again to CCaleb!!!!!
    I don't see the big deal... if Women can hack it, there should be no reason why they can't get in... obviously Shannon whateverhernameis couldn't, but should that set the standard for ALL women? Not allowing women into a military school simply because of gender is a throwback from 100 years ago. Who says that only men can be great generals and leaders?

But on topic, Congrats! Hope everything goes well, and maybe 30 years from now when we hear of General Ccaleb conquering Canadialand, we'll know where it started
    Hey Zero, how much did that Chipley cost ya?

Originally said by Boggerman When I got married I thought it would go down too... The insurance, not the wife.

FRUITCAT!!

Phil, that's awsome! I know he will do well.
    Giant flying dogs are gonna give you a flame-thrower enema!!!

SUPPORT YOUR TROOPS!!!!!!!!

Chuff!!! Chuff!!!

ABQHC

Good for him.

Games Workshop is cool!

(anyone that gets the reference is as nerd as me)
    Or better yet, why don't you kill yourself. No, really, die. Drop dead, don't leave a note, in fact burn your house while your little ego is stuck in a bench vice so that you'll also incenerate yourslef and everything you own with it. Because that's all you're worth. You're not even wirh thte time it'll take for the house to burn down, so just kill yourself. You're a waste of space. You are nothing, you always will be nothing. Don't leave a note, you're not worth the ink. - Tyger

Phil,

you can sell you hair! as for the paying of the education, have you considered home equity loan or a 2nd or 3rd mortgage? if caleb has good grades (which i'm sure he has, to have been accepted) there are scholarships/grants, but you have to do alot of research to find them all. work study doesn't really pay all that much but, its still something right?

speaking of the shannon whatshername, just my opinion she was a fat out of shape cow. she just couldn't handle the physical part of it, and from my point of view sued for the principle of it rather than the education. on the other hand, i've heard that the women that have been accepted after her were so so but recieved alot of verbal/mental abuse from the male students and dropped out after that. as for the all women colleges, i think most of them do accept male students and some actually have a few enrolled but its not as big a public debate.

Graycie, I have indeed thought of that. I have my home almost paid for. Only a first mortgage. I think I only owe about 10K on it. And I have about 7 acres of land here. So I have a lot of equity to use if I need too. Almost 130K worth of equity as a matter of fact. I am going to try and do it without involving that but it is an ace in the hole if I needed too.

Oh she deserved the right to go no doubt about it. She then had to make the same standards though and could not physicaly. At least not by the time she was finaly entered. Had she been entered right away she would possibly have made it. Heck many men do not make it. She was not overwieght when she first applied. And since it was a state supported school she had every right to insist on being admitted. They fought it for a while because of the tradition of it being all male. But eventualy they realised they would lose that case unless they turned private. And they did not feel that they had enough funds to do so and forgo the 30% or so of thier budget that the state provided. So by the time she was admitted she had gained weight. But I think more than that was the feeling of isolation she recieved. As the only female she had to be seperated. And so she could not be just one of the Cadets. Several women have since Successfully completed the four years. But still because there are so few that want to go they are somewhat isolated. But in the end I think it will be a good thing for the school to have a woman corp.

If you will recall VMI was also going through the same thing at the time. And eventualy a woman Corp was started there.
    Last edited by cphilip; 10-02-2003 at 08:56 AM.