Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No drop forwards for the pros??

No drop forwards for the pros??

aimlessly wondering from picture to picture in a recent paintball 2xtreams, i started realizing that almost none of the pro/semi pro/sponsored teams use drop forwards, and if they do, they are small (ie shocktech mini). is there a reason for this? the only thing i could think of was that you could get your arm tighter to your body because it wouldnt have to wrap around the tank... but im not allways the smartest guy on the block.. any thoughts?
    I'm a big guy with a big marker- 2oo2 'shoebox' style Dust Green 'Planet' milled SP Shocker 88/45k.

i hate using drops with my tanks/guns

i couldnt tell you what the reason is, i find it uncomfortable to be all scruntched up with my gun right in my grill.

so to answer your question, i dont know
    AO MEMBER# 2967
    No Limit
    check out these killers...
    NFeel The JoyN

Where the beer is deep. The forest is funny colored. Cloud nine is a thought away.
    I dotn use a drop forward. I run a straight ASA. Im not pro either...

CCM autococker, 45ci right to the bottom line.
    AO #765
    CCM Series 5
    Prerelease Impulse
    Hyperframed Warped Mag w/flatline tank
    Feedback.

Good to know that somone of Tom's status seeks "relief" from a sport he helped create. A sport now ruled by a single patent.

haha, a 45ci tank doesnt even need a drop, those things are way too tiny

i should have made it clear but ive got a 92ci without a drop

It is to lower the profile of the gun.
    Dynaflow for sale, PM ME!
    My AO Feedback Here
    My eBay Feedback Here
    [/font]

I porefer little to no drop for 68 tanks and smaller. More and more people are starting to realize that tanks make great stocks for stabilizing your marker and steadying your aim. The shoulder also takes some off the weight off of your hand to leave your shooting hand free to work the trigger, without having to goosneck your wrist too much. I find it easier to stay tucked in without the tank hanging way down, too. It's all personal preference really.

Moorewatch

If you read this, thank a teacher.
    If you read this in English, thank a soldier.

EDIT: lol, guy above and I posted at the same time...

Without a drop you can play a little bit tighter, wrap around sup' air bunkers, etc.

I have found that it is easier to point/aim without a drop too. I also dont like having the end of the gun right in my face.

Also your trigger hand is in a more comfortable position w/out a drop. Instead of the wierd bent wrist position.

Personaly i find no drop, makes a beter platform for running while shooting, and its a lot quicker to shoulder, with the butt of the tank acting as a pivot. But yeah, its all a matter of preferance.

...ever in the continual search of time dilation.

Emag 4.0 "I love the way you turn me on"

I just got rid of my drops in favor of CP rails. I have found that the rails are much easier to shoulder, provide a more stable platform, and reduce my profile.

A site for gay and alternative lifestyles: www.zakvetter.com

I tried a drop but found it made the marker a bit ungainly, now just using a rather ghetto rail:

I like the Shocktech Mini drop personally. But, I guess it's all a matter preference.
    Giant flying dogs are gonna give you a flame-thrower enema!!!

SUPPORT YOUR TROOPS!!!!!!!!

Chuff!!! Chuff!!!

ABQHC

hybrid and cp both make really nice mini rails... they work great with the dovetail mount of a flatline tank and are perfect for a 45/45...

I think you may be right with the goose neck thing. If the bottle is forward you will have to bend your wrist around the bottle, if not then you won't.

I have an Eclipse drop on mine. Just a small one.
    Bolter
    Storm Uk

i guess i am in the minority then. i NEED a drop. anything else just doesnt feel right. right now im running a cp razor drop, and it is a nice length and drop. however, im looking our for something that moves the tank forward a bit more. i like to be very compact, and the closer the gun is the better i feel.
    TONIGHT WE DANCE FOR TOMORROW THEY RELEASE THE DOGS

maybe... little is the new big?

I think with the more compact tanks available today, you just don't need the big drop to balance the setup...

and maybe players are realizing that the 45 gripframe isn't the most comfy when its an inch or two in front of your mask...

---Fred
    Warp Feed Evangelist
    My Feedback

Cool

Need Big Tank It's a long walk back to the refil station in a scenario game

I really don't see how having a 3 foot long setup makes you "tighter." I love compactness.

I have a 47ci tank and I use a psycoballistic drop. My gun is so compact. I just like the gun being close and small.
    My Feedback
    Tippmann Custom 98 F/S
    Automag Classic l 68/3k NitroDuck

Originally posted by Fred
    I think with the more compact tanks available today, you just don't need the big drop to balance the setup.
    This is exactly what I was thinking.
    "Relax. Don't worry. Have a Home Brew."
    -Charlie Papazian

Feedback: https://www.automags.org/forums/showt...threadid=40134

I like rails, but Im also a big fan of shocktech mids, with my 68 Ill switch to a shocktech mid, but if and when i get a 45/45 ill switch to a rail. I used to hate long guns, now its the other way around I like the gun alittle longer

www.TeamNever.com

i like havign small drops ... the shocktech one right before the tiny angled one is the best for me.

i like the reg part of a screw in to be mostly under the grip. and the whole bottle out. i dont like any bottle under the grip
    Aced/predator Adrenalin LCD
    2k Dark Angel [
    98 LED Angel ( kinda )
    shark attack X-MAG
    Eclipse Factory Eblade
    "We Want More Squeege!! (rawwk)" - AGD
    "I'm looking for an xmag in excellent or perfect condition. I have a black 2k3 mech cocker with Palmer everything (worth about US $800) I can trade, which is in excellent condition, well timed, reliable, and pinches all but the oldest super brittle paint." Flyboy771

i love long drops

how do not having a drop make you tighter or lower profile?????? thats an oxymoron.

i cant play without a drop, it makes it way more compact and easier to play tight
    Bad Traders: Brice34, complete total fraud, lied constantly and stole 60$ for an egg

drop forwards with rule the day! but if i have a drop it has to be long, no use in spending 30 dollars for a rail or stubby

i hate drop forwards. its weird. when you first start paintballing you LOVE drops and you think the bigger the better. then you become experienced and realized drops are amazingly stupid and only hurt your game and feel like crap. its just something that grows on you and the lightbulb turns on and ur like hmmmm thats why all those pros dont use drops.

drops make your gun more compact from top to bottom. when you are snapshooting it doesnt make a difference how compact your gun is from back to front because your opponent can still only see from the front. having no drop helps keep your gun smaller from top to bottom and reduces hits. second of all it keeps the gun further than like 1 inch from your face. you can aim better and you have abetter view of whats going on when you dont have a gun in your grill. with the frame further away your hand is also in a better position. its not all curved at the wrist like it is when the frame is too close to your face. this allows your hand to be in a more comfortable shooting position and helps sustain higher rates of fire form what ive experienced. to top it off the smaller the drop you have the less your gun will kick. if you are running a huge drop you will notice you can feel the gun kick more. this is due to the gun pivoting over the balance the drop creates. without a drop all the kick is pretty much absorbed into your shoulder and you feel almost nothing. besides all the positive points of running no drop, the feel of not using a drop grows on you and it seems like anything with a drop is too close to your face and uncomfortable.

so you see there are reasons for pros not using drops. they realized that from playing all those years that running no drop actually helps and improves their game. its as simple as that. its not some "bandwagon" as some people call it. theres a reason for drops being obsolete with more experienced players.

as for what i think is perfect. a preset 68/4500 with eitehr a check-it unimount or a CP rail mount and on/off asa. even a shocktech micro drop feels too big to me(im only 5'9" too). at the same time a regular duckbill asa feels too long. so basically the only thing i would ever use is a unimount or CP rail mount like in this pic of my gun:
    My Trader Feedback

*AKA factory certified tech
    AIM: TonyG749
    EMAIL: TonyG749@hotmail.com

Re: No drop forwards for the pros??

Originally posted by atcer
    aimlessly wondering from picture to picture in a recent paintball 2xtreams, i started realizing that almost none of the pro/semi pro/sponsored teams use drop forwards, and if they do, they are small (ie shocktech mini). is there a reason for this? the only thing i could think of was that you could get your arm tighter to your body because it wouldnt have to wrap around the tank... but im not allways the smartest guy on the block.. any thoughts?
    It makes your gun shorter, you can shoot from the hip while running also. It's easier to shoulder or tuck and press into a bunker when using a rail mount, and it balances the guns out better in my opinion.
    OSK