I am Police Officer. This Post Is for some people who might be interested in reporting stolen equipment to police.
1. If you maker or equipment stolen totals more than $1000
MOST states consider that a grand larceny. If it is stolen out of your vehicle no matter how much its worth it is considered B&E auto.
2. The most important thing is serial number or OAN (Owner applied Numbers) this is a PERMENANT number you applied somewhere on your equipment. Make sure you write them done somewhere safe. If you dont have these you are up @#$%@ creek with out a paddle!!!!!
3. When you report this to the police be nice dont give them a hard time. I know that i put effort in to just about every case i get but some officers dont but if your nice to him maybe he will spend more time on it.
4. When doing the report describe in detail everything ie. color brand model any special features. Ask the officer NICELY if he is going to enter the item stolen in NCIC which is the nation computer system that stores items as stolen(YOU MUST HAVE THE SERIAL MAKE AND MODEL NUMBER FOR THIS TO BE DONE NO IF ANDS OR BUTS ABOUT IT!!!!). this helps if someone tries to sell you maker at a pawn shop which must submit a form to the police for every item that they purchase and plan on selling or if an officer decides to check it if he found the item on someone that he doesnt think owns it and is important if you want to get it back i cant stress how important the serial number is.
5. To those of you here that are minors varies by state you might have to have your parents or guardian file the report.
If anyone has questions pm or email me
HEY LETS KEEP THIS UP TOP FPR A LITTLE WHILE SO ADD A POST IF YOU READ