Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Smart Parts Patent Will Destroy Paintball! - Read!

you could buy an impulse, and mess it up repetedly right up untill the warranty is over, and then return it.

personman Guest

There are preexisting patents...

http://www.northarc.com/~tinker/smartparts.html

Smart Parts has also conveniently forgotten that there are a few patents that pre-date their shocker patents that deal with paintballs and electronics. I would like to see smart parts take on the US Navy, since the navy gets the credit for being the first to build an electronic paintball gun back in 1971-72, yes thats right 1971-72.

Smart parts also left off there patent application another patent (which is a no-no) that was issued a full year before they filed on the shocker. It was a patent on a truly electronic conversion system for a pro-lite. It used solenoids and micro-processor controlled electronics. So they will have a had time making their patents stand up in court, unless someone makes a shocker.
    All your farm animals are belong to us.

What's the next event Smart Parts will be at?

Johnny that would be true, but if they ACTOUALLy won all of this, the tournament circuits would boycott sp, and they would go out of business.
    Ah but thats where your wrong. The Philadelphia Americans, SP's main team plays Xball. Guess who runs Xball? NAP and Draxxus. Remember Draxxus no longer owns the Matrix so thats no skin off their nose, NAP would be hurtbut they would still be a major company. Strange could be moved to Xball if needed, and thats $10,000 in NAP and Draxxus's pockets right there.

But look at the bright side, AGD will triple it sells of mags if electros do go down.

EDIT: By the way this thread should be stickied.

http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-P...l&RS=Paintball

Read that.

it says Zap paintball Patented "Electrically operated paintball gun"

in 2001

personman Guest
    Originally posted by nippinout
    What's the next event Smart Parts will be at?
    LOL Burn the booth down~~!!!!@!1!!

Originally posted by Johnny_Reb
    I could only see SP profiting from this. Think about it, do you think pros and long time electro users are going to stop using electros and switch to mechs? Of course not. Theyll just use Impys and Shockers. As much as I hate whats happening I think its a smart move for Smart Parts.
    i disagree. i think the legions of paintballers out there would so hate sp for ending the age of electros that very very few would buy their products. i think teams that have other sponsers would be pushed to use other guns and that sp would eventually have no support or customer base.

I almost want to cry thinking of what they could do

Whelp...

A quick search of the USPTO database yeilds a few patents, and yes, they are that bad.

Of course, that doesn't answer key questions like, were the patents filed on time, is there prior art, and is the invention obvious to anyone with competency in the area in question.

On the upside, maybe we'll all just stop using electronic markers and then we don't have to worry about trigger bounce anymore.

Also note that (near as I can tell) the way the patents are written, they don't apply if you remove the barrel. So just play without your barrel.

(Or more likely, sell the markers without barrels, and then make Smart Parts enforce their patent against every player who adds one to their marker individually. )

- Chris
    National Collegiate Paintball Association, Inc., President
    www.college-paintball.com - "A Club for Every Campus"
    www.high-school-paintball.com - "We Create Newbies"

American Paintball Players Association, Director
    www.paintball-players.org

About those other patents...

The Shocker patent was filed in Jan 15, 1997.

A patent for a similar electropneumatic was filed at May, 5, 1996. Click here for patent
    This alone would invalidate Smart Parts claims.

But there are others.

A patent was filed for an E-GRIP type conversion in Nov, 2 1993. Click here for patent
    This definetly predates any smart parts patent.

Lastly, a patent was filed by the US Navy in 6/10/71 for an electro paintball gun, that even had an ACE!!! Click here for patent
    This predates paintball as we know it, yet the patent clearly describes it to use "dye filled gelatin capsules" for use in "military simulations".

Plus, the CCI semi was also out before the Shocker, but it wasnt patented.

SO, how the heck can this lawsuit even continue?
    The lawyers can see the exact same patents???
    (unless SMart Parts bought the rights to them)???

Nick

Don't Support Paintball Nazis

Boycott Smart Parts

Originally posted by personman

I'm all for a witch hunt. If I lived in Penn I would definately pay Smart Parts a visit with my water balloon launcher and some frozen water balloons (Leave my Matrix at home so they don't think I'm a hooligan)

i disagree. i think the legions of paintballers out there would so hate sp for ending the age of electros that very very few would buy their products. i think teams that have other sponsers would be pushed to use other guns and that sp would eventually have no support or customer base.
    So you think long time electro users and pro teams are just going to switch to mechs that easy? No way man, one team could be using mechs and the other using electros, the second team would have the technology advantage. All paintball players want the technological edge. Even tho SP wouldve put out other electros they would also be the only makers of them. Players' desire for electros would cause them to but the SP electros.

This is the stupidest thing I have ever seen.

All these electro companies! Are they just going to accept $75 extra per gun? They cant! They cant pay a tax because a company patented the pencil... they have to take that to court! Why is smart parts doing this? What a stupid move, if they try to follow through SO MANY PEOPLE are going to HATE THEM! Absolutely hate! Paintball's first evil corporation?
    Last edited by FalconGuy016; 07-21-2003 at 08:38 PM.
    Hey
    AIM: FalconGuy016
    BANG!!!

Animal Mother Guest
    Originally posted by personman

Yeahhhhhh!! And I'll save the twins so they will forver be in debt to me.

heh heh...

But look at the bright side, AGD will triple it sells of mags if electros do go down.

EDIT: By the way this thread should be stickied.

you think that its no skin of the tournaments backs?? Its bad for paintball its bad for them. period. If they win the price of marker will go up by $75, it wont be the end of electros.

ok u guys have no right for saying crap about smart parts they make great products let them do whatever they want to
    yes it may mess with some other companys

yes agd has SOME good products i had a classic mag myself to start out with but it never worked when i wanted to.....no i am not flaming agd because like i said they do make some good products

but these companys should try and think of ways to beat this patent im sure tom can think of something amazing but im not a big agd lover such as u guys on here i am more of a smart parts lover ebcause their guins are really nice and have some awsome products

but anyways u guys should really not flame them because im sure if more iogers find this they will be talking about ti over there and both sites will get *POOF* up anyways STOP FLAMING SMART PARTS
    im done
    Last edited by Load SM5; 07-21-2003 at 10:02 PM.
    member of team GhettoBoyz

good traders: p8ntballplaya13,blazestorm,tunaman, ghillieguy,cleatus
    -------------------------------------
    i want impy parts

it wont be the end of electros.
    Then again it could be. An etra $75 bucks isnt much but look at how much electro manufacturers are panicing. When ppl buy and electro off online places like pbgear and see in bold letters "Extra $75 charged due to patent infrigement" dont you think that will discourage ppl from buying that product, I do.

And...

If smart parts was indeed the first people to come up with an electronically triggered marker, and the invention is deemed non-obvious...

They're no more evil than Tom is with all of his patents. Patents are there for a reason, and if Smart Parts coming up with an electronically triggerred marker caused a whole bunch of other companies to do the same thing, then yes, all of those other companies who followed their lead owe smart parts some money.

Anyone tried to find a grip frame that extends more than 90 degrees forward for any marker other than an AGD one lately? Anyone wonder why Viewloader has not incorporated belt-drive technology in their hoppers?

- Chris

Ok, I'm going to rephrase this...
    If I lived in Penn I would definately pay Smart Parts a visit with my water balloon launcher and some frozen water balloons
    {wink, wink}

Originally posted by logamus
    i dont think this is a joke, i just think that there are some out there that see a paintball world with no electros in it and arnt all that upset by it...
    Well gee, nice way to look at it.

I could see businesses going under, people losing their jobs, and thousands upon thousands of players losing customer service of their electronic marker after their board fries and then needing to spend hundreds more since all they'll have is a paperweight.

You have to think a little bigger there logamus.

Then again it could be. An etra $75 bucks isnt much but look at how much electro manufacturers are panicing. When ppl buy and electro off online places like pbgear and see in bold letters "Extra $75 charged due to patent infrigement" dont you think that will discourage ppl from buying that product, I do.
    hah not someone who has heard that smartparts caused this... and it wont say +75 for patent, the companies will have to independently raise it.
    also sp is overpriced as it is, so the playing field will be more "even" if anything.

Originally posted by Black_Dragun2578
    ok u guys have no right for saying crap about smart parts they make great products let them do whatever they want to
    yes it may mess with some other companys

yes agd has SOME good products i had a classic mag myself to start out with but it never worked when i wanted to.....no i am not flaming agd because like i said they do make some good products

but these companys should try and think of ways to beat this patent im sure tom can think of something amazing but im not a big agd lover such as u guys on here i am more of a smart parts lover ebcause their guins are really nice and have some awsome products

but anyways u guys should really not flame them because im sure if more iogers find this they will be talking about ti over there and both sites will get f***** up anyways STOP FLAMING SMART PARTS
    im done
    Do you even know what they are trying to patent

Anyone tried to find a grip frame that extends more than 90 degrees forward for any marker other than an AGD one lately?
    look at bushy's

Grayso Guest
    Originally posted by raehl
    (Or more likely, sell the markers without barrels, and then make Smart Parts enforce their patent against every player who adds one to their marker individually. )
    I think thats a pretty good loop hole, even if the patent goes through.

Can they sue individuals for adding parts onto an electronic paintball gun? Even if they could, they're not gonna sue every individual player.

Even if the patent goes through, there will be loopholes.

Originally posted by brett

look at bushy's
    They were made by Zenitram under license from AGD

thats a legit patent on an original idea. Smartparts does not have a legitimate patent. their obtaining of the patent was a mistake on the part of the US patent office.

Re: And...

Originally posted by raehl
    If smart parts was indeed the first people to come up with an electronically triggered marker, and the invention is deemed non-obvious...

- Chris
    Thats a good point, except that PVI invented the shocker, and other electro patents predate the shocker anyway.

Same situation with the SP EC, Maxflow, Freak, and Impulse.
    None were original, yet they have patents somehow.

Like I said before, the FTC shut down Adam Gardners patent scam that he was doing a while ago.
    He is crooked and "knows the ropes".

Nick

Well I have now truely seen it all.....

AGD, where we are so good we can do it with only ONE tube!

cphilip.com