Page 22 of 24 FirstFirst ... 1218192021222324 LastLast

Thread: Smart Parts Patent Will Destroy Paintball! - Read!

By filing for patents, they can claim originality for their "inventions". If it goes through, they get a significant ego boost ( and financial) knowing that they can 'officially' say that they have actually invented something, because the court system said they did.

Well with their upcoming Shocker, Nerve, and inline Maxflo's I wonder why they are so worried about their financial future. If their words are true, the markers and air system should rake in the money. Maybe they know something about their upcoming products that we don't?

I know that waiting list of the `03 Shocker is a longer than is 7 year old boy's Christmas wishlist.

Officially created something? What is that? How much more official does it have to be when there are hundreds of thousands of your company's markers being used worldwide. That would be official enough for me.

I hope I didn't puncture through your flame suit, for it was not my intention .

Wow, that is 100% gayness..... can i get one of those Smart Parts Nazi stickers made 4 my hopper? The field i goto is Space Coast Paintball and they have osmething to do with smart parts and pretty much all they sell is smart parts and i see at least 2 imps sold every time i got there.... from now on ima do EVERYTHING in my power to convince them NOT to buy the impulse or shocker.... i think the nazi sticker would make the owner made (the owner in which is one of the biggest jerks ive met in my ENITRE life)

ok thanks, that was my moment
    -Adam
    bring it!

Originally posted by WickedAirSportz

The Ellis patent pre-dates this as a electro-pneumatic pellet gun. This patent was referenced 3 times in the first 3 patent submissions by Smart Parts, which were declined BECAUSE of this patent (according to the patent accessor's notes). Amazing that they leave the reference to this patent out, and they get their patent granted. Later on, they put a reference to this patent in an attachment (not as a reference in the reference section)... nice, eh?
    I noticed that too. Seems pretty sneaky since the "ELLIS" patent clearly claims:
    1- electronic control means for controlling said gun;
    2- electronic means to detect presence of a said projectile in said firing position and send a projectile presence signal to said electronic control means;

And the ELLIS patent was approved 1 -year- before the Shocker patent. My guess is that Smart Parts BOUGHT THE RIGHTS to this patent.
    Why? Because this patent also covers ACE systems, and "some say" that Smart Parts is also wants to stop all ACE production.

The "ELLIS" completely invalidates the Shocker patent 100%. You could argue that the NAVY patent doesnt apply because it was patented before paintball, but the ELLIS patent is pretty solid. Smart Parts -must- own the rights to this? How can we find out?

By the way, notice that the inventor is "Shawn Ellis of Georgia".
    There is a "Shawn Ellis of Georgia" who plays on the Avalanche pro team! Weird huh?
    Does anyone know the Shawn Ellis of Avalanche?

-Nick
    -NE Devil Dogs

Don't Support Paintball Nazis

Boycott Smart Parts

ok, a few thoughts

First i happen to agree with the man in the flame suit.
    SP coppied or bought MOST of their product lines, the Pneuventures shocker! hell i owned one of those. The maxflo, had one of those on my Pneu shocker!
    I must admit i do own a SP shocker, and i will continue to own it, but i must state that what they are currently doing is very underhanded. The revision of their patent was very slick. So, where do i get the Anti smart parts stickers? and i mean ALL of them. i have a huge nitro tank to fill here =).
    On a slightly more reasonable note, i must agree with a few other people, cursing, or even rash ranting to people will not solve anything. i am going to be sending a very polite and frank email to SP and question their actions. it will probably be ignored, but i am going to try, i am also having one of my pre-law friends work on getting more info and looking over their patents. i will keep updating as i find out.
    brandon
    P.S.
    Seeking chat with Indiana players!
    zabbux on AIM
    Proud owner of a 98 Eclipse cocker with Eblade, and soon to be warped!
    If you get bored AIM ME!
    zabbux

WickedAirSportz Guest
    There is a "Shawn Ellis of Georgia" who plays on the Avalanche pro team! Weird huh?
    Not the same guy... and Smart Parts does not own this patent. WDP has been trying to purchase this patent for several years, and nobody is able to locate the patent holder.

Yes, it does pre-date the Smart Parts patent, and does qualify as prior art.

Originally posted by Micromag man!
    The field i goto is Space Coast Paintball and they have osmething to do with smart parts and pretty much all they sell is smart parts and i see at least 2 imps sold every time i got there....
    Space Coast is run by Frank Connell of the All Americans. 3-J which is just down the road is owned by the family of another All American named Jason. Not going to them isn't going to do anything to SP particularly 3-J. Boycotting them would only cause them to possibly close. While I agree with boycotting SP I'm not going to shoot myself in the foot by causing local fields to close. Just don't buy SP stuff.You could let Frank know what you think of SP but you might get an earful of unpleasant 4 letter words. I like both fields particularly 3-J. They are family owned and take care of their regulars. They have great refs and do their best to ensure you have fun and get your moneys worth.

WANG Force!

Abandon All Hope

Not the same guy... and Smart Parts does not own this patent. WDP has been trying to purchase this patent for several years, and nobody is able to locate the patent holder.

Yes, it does pre-date the Smart Parts patent, and does qualify as prior art.

Again, not a legal expert but if no one can be contacted on this patent, even qualifying, does that affect its use as prior art?

Very interesting!

I found some old emails for "Shawn Ellis" of Watkinsville, but they all bounced.
    The address listed on the patent is now owned by dog breeders.

-Nick

Cyberious... i never said i wont go there i said id try to demote their products as much as i can while im there and Frank is a jewk to me everytime i go in there... and i live like 5 mins from 3-J

Originally posted by jballer

Well with their upcoming Shocker, Nerve, and inline Maxflo's I wonder why they are so worried about their financial future. If their words are true, the markers and air system should rake in the money. Maybe they know something about their upcoming products that we don't?

I know that waiting list of the `03 Shocker is a longer than is 7 year old boy's Christmas wishlist.

Officially created something? What is that? How much more official does it have to be when there are hundreds of thousands of your company's markers being used worldwide. That would be official enough for me.

I hope I didn't puncture through your flame suit, for it was not my intention .
    Upcoming nerve, shocker, and maxflo's......... where are they? The nerve for the most part is still mythical, the shocker hasn't "officially" been released due to alot of problems and its performance from the teams using them is less than stellar. Notice the ORIGINAL statements on the shocker when FIRST marketed was closed-bolt and included an ACE, now its open bolt and no ace. THE ONLY thing from the shocker design is the fact its called a shocker, its not a shocker its a different design in an attempt to exploit the shocker name for sales. And who even knows when and even IF the shocker or nerve will even be released.

As for "officially creating" something. They have not had one single original idea or thought. Every item they produced was based on previous works by other companies. Just because kingman sells thousands of markers world wide doesn't mean they invented the stacked tube design thier markers are famous for. But again they're not claiming they invented the idea either.

Actually the new Shocker has been released to the public, check out the Shocker forum on IOG (pics and explanation). A few stores have recieved shipments, and they all sold out quick.

Too bad I'm not interested in buying one anymore.
    Converge Kills

Originally posted by Ov3rmind
    Actually the new Shocker has been released to the public, check out the Shocker forum on IOG (pics and explanation). A few stores have recieved shipments, and they all sold out quick.

Too bad I'm not interested in buying one anymore.
    Aight, thanks, "officially" meaning big scale, since none of the SP dealers or anything has recieved anything around here, or around where i play. Nor have they been placed on their sites nor their major distributors such as Action Villiage. I haven't nor really been to the IOG except the last few days but not surfing them so, guess i was just a little outof the loop, but from none of the places i know that would sell them haven't had them up yet I did however see some and shoot one @ Chicago open and was more so disappointed as it was nothing they had built the hype to be.
    Last edited by icegod; 07-26-2003 at 08:28 PM.

One reason that i believe that SP completely changes their design for teh shocker is of ex post facto... they cant be sued for something they did before the patent was made or that they have changed. This can also apply for the people who are currently being sued, they can meerly say that when they created this there was no law, or specific copyright upon what they were doing. And 2 mo things...1: i thought SP was also sueing this 1 guy who created a silonid that didnt even wrk, ne comments? and 2: *POOF* u SP *POOF AGAIN* bastered, if i cant get a w0rr blad3 bc of u guys lets just say that theres gonna be a molitov cocktail w/ some1s name on it u *MAJOR POOF* spelunkers!

Watch the *POOFING* cussing!
    Last edited by Load SM5; 07-27-2003 at 01:56 PM.

smart parts basically got everyone against them now

dude this is ganna suck if smart parts did this

Originally posted by Micromag man!
    Cyberious... i never said i wont go there i said id try to demote their products as much as i can while im there and Frank is a jewk to me everytime i go in there... and i live like 5 mins from 3-J
    No offense intended. We must have chewed some of the same mud (and if you go to 3-J then you definitely know what I mean):-)

So, say they lose their patent fight. Does the boycott go on after fact?

Originally posted by strongbadfan
    If you care about this enough to do so.

Dude, I think ppl are just saying their boycotting SP, I dont think anyone has truly stopped buying their products. In time, ppl will forget about why they hate SP.

Originally posted by strongbadfan
    For alot of people yes due to the underhanded and sleezy nature of this. As for me i've been anti-sp for a while due to lack of quality items, and customer care and services. Hell they went as far as blaming ME for recieving an impulse from them directly that had a burnt board. They WANTED me to pay for it but knowing spesh from tournies and just over the years i had to go to him and he fixed it, got me a new board and all. If not for him i would have been stuck with a DOA impulse, thats when my anti-sp began, but i have been skeptical of them since day 1 and attempted to test them but they tried to screw me.

Originally posted by Johnny_Reb
    Dude, I think ppl are just saying their boycotting SP, I dont think anyone has truly stopped buying their products. In time, ppl will forget about why they hate SP.
    I haven't purchased a single product from them in along time. I do have a freak kit and several of their barrels i aquired in trade or buying another item. But i never use them due to inaccurate bore sizes from whats stated, and the fact my CP full kit and my JT kit have yet to disappoint me. I am and have been boycotting them for awhile. Reasons was made in a previous post.

Im definetly not buying any SP products for a loooooong time. I dont care if they dont win. They are just evil.

Interesting

I have read several pages of this and a couple of thoughts, but I don't know if they mean anything....

Seems that this patent applies to guns that are the Spyder type driven by springs, would that cover a mag?

This definitely covers guns with bolts. ICE does not have one. Hmmmmmmm.

And listed as a significant aspect is an ON/OFF switch. Hmmmmmm.

Another interesting point, patents can cover design, but they can ALSO cover software and manufacture techniques. It is a real shame when you have a patent and don't own the patent on how to build it. Or copied some elses software to run something. Hmmmmmmmmmm.

Further, I would like to say the following for the record. I am the owner of an electronic gun. I personally feel damaged by the activities that are being pursued by Smart Parts and their management. Their activities appear to be planned, and appear to be willfully disregarding any concern to the well being and welfare of others affected by their activities. Based upon additional information publicly posted, these activities appear to form a distinct pattern of behavior. I believe the paintball industry has been a positively oriented community and a competitive industry that has had a significant economic impact with substantial benefits for the consumer. I feel these activities substantially damage those positive aspects and have even caused emotional distress in having to understand these issues instead of paintball providing an emotional release.

aka Darkstorm

the only SP product ive purchased since they last raised their hand in court is... shocker lube! It's not that tough to enforce a personal boycott over a period of years if it makes you feel better, sure turns my crank so I'll keep doing it.
    such a pain this broad patent thing, so much diversity among electro-pneumatics and they have to try for all... like the rainmaker, thats a ram and a 3way!

heres an idea though, perhaps this has been mentioned... if the manufacturer cannot themselves release a full marker, what's to stop them from selling 'home kits' say, most of the marker and oh... WAS producing a board , or if allowed the company could do both and sell seperately...it's not rocket science to use a screwdriver and plug a few connections.

You know what also sucks for me, if this thing goes through i might just have to quit paintball

Prices are going to go up. so i dont know what i am going to do
    [img]Sig image must be under 20k[/img]

[ Logic Paintball ]

[ IM ME! ]

Prices are going to go up. so i dont know what i am going to do
    The only prices that will go up if SP wins are ICD's and WDP's. Looking at your sig, I can tell you shoot a Timmy so this wont affect you.

Originally posted by Johnny_Reb
    The only prices that will go up if SP wins are ICD's and WDP's. Looking at your sig, I can tell you shoot a Timmy so this wont affect you.
    IF SP were to win, I don't believe they would stop at ICD and WDP. 2 years ago they sent out notice of possible patent infringement to ALL electronic gun manufacturers... why would they feel any different now?

I think ICD and WDP are just their opening moves...

Paint prices would likely rise somewhat as well, due to the fact that we wont be shooting as much.

Darkstorm, read the entire thread, all of the points you brought up were already covered several times.

Originally posted by manike

IF SP were to win, I don't believe they would stop at ICD and WDP. 2 years ago they sent out notice of possible patent infringement to ALL electronic gun manufacturers... why would they feel any different now?

Exactly, which they have also had cases against these 2 in the past. But as jim said in the begining as of last decision, they said angels, timmies, matrices and spyders were in violation as well, so whats to stop them from going after them. The outcome of all other cases depend on the ICD one since its first, and would be the precedent.

While that could be true no one knows yet, so for now ICD and WDP are the only companies in danger.