Page 23 of 24 FirstFirst ... 13192021222324 LastLast

Thread: Smart Parts Patent Will Destroy Paintball! - Read!

Nah i acually dont shoot a timmy, cyer jus put it in for me becuase it looked cool
    [img]Sig image must be under 20k[/img]

[ Logic Paintball ]

[ IM ME! ]

Originally posted by Johnny_Reb
    While that could be true no one knows yet, so for now ICD and WDP are the only companies in danger.
    Thats because both have had previous cases filed by SP against them, though closed. They now have a court date to actually persue their claims with ICD, which will set the precedent they need to persue other claims, but they NEED a win against ICD to really pursue anything else to have a chance to win, as i said previously.

OK now for a more serious question.

I know a lot are looking for a loophole, previous art and patents, etc to try and help. Is there anything ELSE we can do? someone started the online petition, yet those mean nothing. Just to get this out there more than it is, and get more people involved and knowledgable about it. Is there anything ELSE we can do Like creating a formal standardized letter, or writen petition, or something hard rather than the internet based? Whether its to protest SP, or to support ICD, something to give them something to know that they have a lot of players and such backing? I dunno just some ideas, but is there ANYTHING we can do?

BTW i was banned from impulse owners group for explaining the meaning of the swastika and posting this picture http://www.luckymojo.com/swastika.gif
    I was explaining the symbolism and debating with them over the fact they told me to not have the sp\nazi gif as my avitar, and then allowing someone to have that same pic only haev a red X across it. But just thought i'd add that they banned me because of that of a swastika standing for goodluck and such from 1907 I thought it was funny but anyways.....

IS THERE ANYTHING ELSE WE CAN DO?

endanger

All paintball manufacters that produce a electronic marker are in danger. Don't kid yourself, if you put a battery in your marker, they are after it.

it blows my mind how a company liek smart parts or any company for that matter would do this to the sport. we need to be helping our sport along right now if we want it to be popular, not being focused on how one company can make alot of money and blow everyone else out of the water. just to let smart parts know, myself and many others will not buy from their products any time soon if ever at all again.
    My baby:
    Classic mag
    Handpolished body
    Emag barrel 10"
    Lapco Bigshot Stainless 12"
    Gripstyx single trigger frame
    Benchmark on/off cradle
    Benchmark gas thru grip

No longer will support anyone on anything associated with this due to inappropriate comments received.
    Last edited by Darkstorm; 08-03-2003 at 09:44 AM.

so is there any point in buyin any electros anymore?

www.Intimidatorowners.com
    Black and Red Alias

um yeah,so you can have an electro to shoot. duhhhhhhhhhh.

In front of my computer wondering about my life
    What smart parts is doing is like patenting the doorknob or lightbulb. If they do win they ill lose alol their money
    Lets all do this... get out our paintball guns.. hijack some airlines full of these "Special" Folks and run them into some things like The Backstreet Boys and Al Gore's Baldspot.
    OfficerGoat

Southeastern Wisconsin....Automag Country

Angry

This is complete trivial crap. Seriously, if Smart Parts goes after AGD, Tom should turn around and counter-sue because he was the first to introduce compressed air. Let's see their little electronic Impulses run on Co2.

SMOKE...HE'S COMING FOR YOU....

Re: "SP Not Welcome Here"

Originally posted by Darkstorm
    News....In Houston we are starting to request that as of Oct 31st. Any new SP product be banned by the scenario teams, fields, and scenario promoters.

I will be sure to throw away my Freak and Max-Flow immediately and rip off the the SP cover from my Halo.

LOL

AGD X-Mag #XT00187
    AGD Tac-One
    WGP 2003
    Marker Pics

Originally posted by automagfreek
    This is complete trivial crap. Seriously, if Smart Parts goes after AGD, Tom should turn around and counter-sue because he was the first to introduce compressed air. Let's see their little electronic Impulses run on Co2.
    LOL, actually Impulses are known to run quite well on C02.
    Converge Kills

Originally posted by Ov3rmind

LOL, actually Impulses are known to run quite well on C02.
    Shockers, Imps, whatever, they all suck IMO.

EDIT: I've always thought that too.

if u ask me your all blow this out of proportion. first of all the courts havent even made a decision and u guys are acting like a lynch mob, ripping off your sp logos, boycotting things, just relax. man im glad none of u guys are in charge of our nuclear arsenal or wed all be in trouble

I wear my sunglasses at night

WickedAirSportz Guest
    if u ask me your all blow this out of proportion. first of all the courts havent even made a decision
    That is not true. A judge ruled (two weeks ago now) that ICD is infringing on Smart Parts' patent and ordered a trial date of September 3rd to determine the exact extent of the infringement.

and...that means nothing

WickedAirSportz Guest
    and...that means nothing
    That means EVERYTHING... two previous times a judge said that Smart Parts could not present their case. Amazingly, Smart Parts files the suit in a court 2,000 miles away (in Portland, OR), and the judge grants them what they wanted.

NOBODY in the industry expected this happen... that is why everyone is in such an uproar!

Shockers, Imps, whatever, they all suck IMO.

EDIT: I've always thought that too.
    Hay, I agree. But they were designed with C02 use in mind.

Originally posted by Ov3rmind

Hay, I agree. But they were designed with C02 use in mind.
    Yeah, but rapid firing an Imp on Co2 caused me to lose skin on my left hand, becuase the front grip got so cold. O_o

um..

wear gloves?
    Proud owner of a 98 Eclipse cocker with Eblade, and soon to be warped!
    If you get bored AIM ME!
    zabbux

This whole thing makes us who stayed with a pure mech marker look smarter. Any ways smarty parts is problably just mad that other markers are doing better than theirs. This whole thing is probably going to (olher than hurting the paintball industry as a whole) is going thi make smartparts go the way of enron and worldcom. Straight into bankruptcry because tons of paintball players ate going to boycott them including me.
    Alternate for the Crimson Men
    ph34r th3 [\]1[\]j4

Yeah, but rapid firing an Imp on Co2 caused me to lose skin on my left hand, becuase the front grip got so cold. O_o
    Ack, you should sue them.

TheAmazingJelloMag, I really don't see how this makes people with mech markers look smarter.

23. Check out the newest updates to the Anti-SP website. I have done some changes to the website itself as well as added a forum where these matters can be disgussed without holding AGD responsible for hosting threads that talk about boycotting another company that can (potentially) sue for patent infringement. Show your support for the boycott site by posting on the forums and getting some intelligent discussions started there.

Thanks!

http://www.geocities.com/smartpartssucks/

24. [COLOR=white]1[/FONT][COLOR=white]0[/FONT][COLOR=black]0[/FONT][COLOR=black]1[/FONT][COLOR=black]0[/FONT][COLOR=black]1[/FONT][COLOR=black]1[/FONT][COLOR=white]1[/FONT][COLOR=white]1[/FONT][COLOR=white]1[/FONT][COLOR=white]1[/FONT][COLOR=black]0[/FONT][COLOR=black]0[/FONT][COLOR=white]1[/FONT][COLOR=white]1[/FONT][COLOR=white]1[/FONT][COLOR=black]1[/FONT][COLOR=black]0[/FONT][COLOR=black]0[/FONT][COLOR=black]1[/FONT][COLOR=black]1[/FONT][COLOR=black]1[/FONT][COLOR=white]0[/FONT]
    [COLOR=white]1[/FONT][COLOR=white]1[/FONT][COLOR=black]0[/FONT][COLOR=white]0[/FONT][COLOR=white]0[/FONT][COLOR=white]0[/FONT][COLOR=black]1[/FONT][COLOR=black]1[/FONT][COLOR=white]0[/FONT][COLOR=white]0[/FONT][COLOR=white]0[/FONT][COLOR=black]0[/FONT][COLOR=black]1[/FONT][COLOR=white]1[/FONT][COLOR=white]1[/FONT][COLOR=white]1[/FONT][COLOR=black]1[/FONT][COLOR=white]1[/FONT][COLOR=white]1[/FONT][COLOR=white]1[/FONT][COLOR=white]0[/FONT][COLOR=white]0[/FONT][COLOR=white]0[/FONT]
    [COLOR=white]1[/FONT][COLOR=white]0[/FONT][COLOR=black]0[/FONT][COLOR=white]1[/FONT][COLOR=white]0[/FONT][COLOR=white]1[/FONT][COLOR=white]1[/FONT][COLOR=black]0[/FONT][COLOR=white]1[/FONT][COLOR=white]1[/FONT][COLOR=white]1[/FONT][COLOR=black]1[/FONT][COLOR=black]1[/FONT][COLOR=white]0[/FONT][COLOR=white]1[/FONT][COLOR=white]1[/FONT][COLOR=black]0[/FONT][COLOR=black]1[/FONT][COLOR=black]0[/FONT][COLOR=white]0[/FONT][COLOR=white]0[/FONT][COLOR=white]0[/FONT][COLOR=white]1[/FONT]
    [COLOR=white]0[/FONT][COLOR=white]0[/FONT][COLOR=black]0[/FONT][COLOR=white]1[/FONT][COLOR=white]0[/FONT][COLOR=white]0[/FONT][COLOR=black]1[/FONT][COLOR=black]1[/FONT][COLOR=white]0[/FONT][COLOR=white]1[/FONT][COLOR=white]0[/FONT][COLOR=black]0[/FONT][COLOR=black]0[/FONT][COLOR=white]1[/FONT][COLOR=white]0[/FONT][COLOR=white]1[/FONT][COLOR=black]1[/FONT][COLOR=white]1[/FONT][COLOR=white]1[/FONT][COLOR=white]1[/FONT][COLOR=white]1[/FONT][COLOR=white]1[/FONT][COLOR=white]0[/FONT]
    [COLOR=white]1[/FONT][COLOR=white]0[/FONT][COLOR=black]0[/FONT][COLOR=black]1[/FONT][COLOR=black]0[/FONT][COLOR=black]1[/FONT][COLOR=black]0[/FONT][COLOR=white]1[/FONT][COLOR=white]0[/FONT][COLOR=white]0[/FONT][COLOR=white]0[/FONT][COLOR=black]0[/FONT][COLOR=black]1[/FONT][COLOR=white]1[/FONT][COLOR=white]0[/FONT][COLOR=white]1[/FONT][COLOR=black]1[/FONT][COLOR=black]0[/FONT][COLOR=black]1[/FONT][COLOR=black]0[/FONT][COLOR=black]1[/FONT][COLOR=black]0[/FONT][COLOR=white]1[/FONT]
    [COLOR=white]0[/FONT][COLOR=white]1[/FONT][COLOR=white]0[/FONT][COLOR=white]0[/FONT][COLOR=white]0[/FONT][COLOR=white]0[/FONT][COLOR=white]0[/FONT][COLOR=white]1[/FONT][COLOR=white]0[/FONT][COLOR=white]0[/FONT][COLOR=white]1[/FONT][COLOR=white]0[/FONT][COLOR=white]0[/FONT][COLOR=white]0[/FONT][COLOR=white]1[/FONT][COLOR=white]1[/FONT][COLOR=white]1[/FONT][COLOR=white]1[/FONT][COLOR=white]1[/FONT][COLOR=white]0[/FONT][COLOR=white]1[/FONT][COLOR=white]0[/FONT][COLOR=white]0[/FONT]
    [COLOR=white]1[/FONT][COLOR=white]1[/FONT][COLOR=white]0[/FONT][COLOR=black]0[/FONT][COLOR=black]1[/FONT][COLOR=black]0[/FONT][COLOR=black]1[/FONT][COLOR=black]0[/FONT][COLOR=black]1[/FONT][COLOR=black]0[/FONT][COLOR=black]1[/FONT][COLOR=white]0[/FONT][COLOR=white]1[/FONT][COLOR=black]1[/FONT][COLOR=black]1[/FONT][COLOR=black]1[/FONT][COLOR=black]0[/FONT][COLOR=black]0[/FONT][COLOR=black]1[/FONT][COLOR=black]1[/FONT][COLOR=white]1[/FONT][COLOR=white]0[/FONT][COLOR=white]1[/FONT]
    [COLOR=white]1[/FONT][COLOR=white]1[/FONT][COLOR=white]1[/FONT][COLOR=black]0[/FONT][COLOR=black]0[/FONT][COLOR=white]0[/FONT][COLOR=white]1[/FONT][COLOR=white]0[/FONT][COLOR=white]1[/FONT][COLOR=white]1[/FONT][COLOR=white]0[/FONT][COLOR=white]1[/FONT][COLOR=white]1[/FONT][COLOR=black]0[/FONT][COLOR=black]0[/FONT][COLOR=white]1[/FONT][COLOR=white]1[/FONT][COLOR=white]1[/FONT][COLOR=black]0[/FONT][COLOR=black]0[/FONT][COLOR=white]0[/FONT][COLOR=white]1[/FONT][COLOR=white]1[/FONT]
    [COLOR=white]0[/FONT][COLOR=white]1[/FONT][COLOR=white]1[/FONT][COLOR=black]0[/FONT][COLOR=black]1[/FONT][COLOR=black]1[/FONT][COLOR=black]1[/FONT][COLOR=black]1[/FONT][COLOR=black]0[/FONT][COLOR=black]0[/FONT][COLOR=black]1[/FONT][COLOR=white]0[/FONT][COLOR=white]1[/FONT][COLOR=black]1[/FONT][COLOR=black]1[/FONT][COLOR=black]1[/FONT][COLOR=black]0[/FONT][COLOR=black]0[/FONT][COLOR=black]0[/FONT][COLOR=black]1[/FONT][COLOR=white]1[/FONT][COLOR=white]0[/FONT][COLOR=white]0[/FONT]
    [COLOR=white]0[/FONT][COLOR=white]0[/FONT][COLOR=white]1[/FONT][COLOR=white]0[/FONT][COLOR=white]1[/FONT][COLOR=white]0[/FONT][COLOR=white]1[/FONT][COLOR=white]1[/FONT][COLOR=white]0[/FONT][COLOR=black]1[/FONT][COLOR=black]0[/FONT][COLOR=white]0[/FONT][COLOR=white]0[/FONT][COLOR=black]1[/FONT][COLOR=black]0[/FONT][COLOR=white]0[/FONT][COLOR=white]0[/FONT][COLOR=white]1[/FONT][COLOR=white]0[/FONT][COLOR=white]0[/FONT][COLOR=white]1[/FONT][COLOR=white]0[/FONT][COLOR=white]1[/FONT]
    [COLOR=white]1[/FONT][COLOR=white]0[/FONT][COLOR=white]0[/FONT][COLOR=black]1[/FONT][COLOR=black]0[/FONT][COLOR=black]1[/FONT][COLOR=black]1[/FONT][COLOR=black]0[/FONT][COLOR=black]0[/FONT][COLOR=black]1[/FONT][COLOR=black]0[/FONT][COLOR=white]0[/FONT][COLOR=white]1[/FONT][COLOR=black]1[/FONT][COLOR=black]0[/FONT][COLOR=white]0[/FONT]

Originally posted by cockermongol
    Check out the newest updates to the Anti-SP website. I have done some changes to the website itself as well as added a forum where these matters can be disgussed without holding AGD responsible for hosting threads that talk about boycotting another company that can (potentially) sue for patent infringement.
    Thats a nice site. Good to see everything all in one place.
    One question-
    Why do you list the patent for the Zap-600e?
    That seems strange.

It might make more sense to list the original shocker patent, then the lastest "update", plus all the other electro patents that existed before the shocker.

BTW, the latest rumor is that SP is sending people "cease orders" for people using the anti-SP logos.... lol

Nick

Don't Support Paintball Nazis

Boycott Smart Parts

Apparently just before the start of a game to play X-ball at the PSP Philly event Bob Long was served papers by Smart Parts.

Originally posted by Terry59
    Here's an example of the character of the Smart Part owners.
    With less than 5 minutes prior to the start of our Saturdays match with the Baltimore Trauma. Billy Gardner lead and pointed out Bob to his process server.

-snip-

Here we are at a major event, in a race for first place to tie up the series with the Philly AAs as our closest competitors. We the Assassins are of the belief that the timing of this was planned and calculated by the Gardners in an attempt distract Bob's concentration of the task at hand, which is to beat Trauma and lock up the first place position in the NXL series. We all understand that business is business, but we also see and feel that when we are on or about to take the field, we are on sacred ground and the business crap is taboo. Knowing that we have such types as the Gardners in paintball make us feel dirtier than the cow poop surrounding SC Village.
    Originally posted by Robbo
    Just got off the fone from Bob himself....he's not a happy bunny.....He feels the timing of the handing over of the papers was definitely done to upset his chances of winning his next game.
    So Bob cops a double whammy, he gets hit with an action that is viewed by most sane people as just another lunatic example of the American judicial system and then he has to try and get his head straight to win his next X-Ball game........hmmmm......
    And who said 'paintball ain't a friendly place'....ouch!!!!

smart parts

ok guys

i have a impulse and was thinking about a new catchphrase it goes a bit like this

take a chainsaw and a sledge hammer to my impulse

wot do u guys think
    swanster
    STORM UK

sponsored by:
    Empire
    NPS
    Diablo
    AGD Europe
    Air America Europe
    MPM

www.stormpaintballteam.com

*puts on bullet-proof vest*

Ok, now as a proud owner and user of a Smart Parts gun (nasty impulse) I have a few things to say here.

First of all, if they take this as far as they could, it's a brilliant business move. That's like, Microsoft-level decisions. Second of all, it's a move to be made by a company with selfish priorities, a few maturity issues, and hearts full of greed instead of love of the game.

Just curious, didn't the Bushmaster come out before the Impulse?

Now, if Smart Parts charges a licensing fee to produce any/all electronic markers, this is everyone's problems. Electro's will go up in price to compensate for any license fees or royalties that Smart Parts charges, which they might just be able to do (we don't know yet, we'll see). That's everyone's problem.

Boycotting Smart Parts probably won't do much. They've got the industry by the balls if they're a threat at all. If they can break ICD, it's one less obstacle on the road to controlling the price of every electro gun. We don't know if they're going to TAKE that road, but it's a possibility worth noting. Say the price of every gun goes up $125 to cover royalties/licenses. Smart Parts can make each of their guns $40 cheaper ($85 more than they are now), and while a lot of the hardcore ballers will go for the non-SP products, anyone new to the sport will take the cheaper one in a heartbeat, because SP's products ain't all that bad, and they're cheaper.

Next, I personally speculate that electro's won't fall in tournaments. Smart Parts can't charge you to use a gun you bought 2 years ago. I believe it was Doc that said that the legal aspects apply to all guns being manufactured, not sold. So I don't see how you will have to stop shooting an electro you already own, anyone have any comments on that line of thought?

Finally, I think we need to be rational about this. This could potentially be a serious problem, but we don't know how far Smart Parts wants to take this. The point is that, depending on how things work out with ICD, they can take things as far as they want to.
    Current amount in ULE E-mag Fund: $2.44

Originally posted by mr_mich
    Boycotting Smart Parts probably won't do much.
    I had proposed another way of protesting against SP’s action in a thread I started:
    https://www.automags.org/forums/showt...threadid=98839

The thread was closed, but I would have thought it would be helpful for those wishing a more effective protest to have a thread devoted to that. That and while I have instant access to all the other threads on AO this one seems to produce server errors most of the times I try to access it.

I think that 125$ more per gun is a little optimistic if the claims that SP is asking a million up front are true. It would take sales of 8000 markers to break even on 1 million dollars up front. That's before you add the interest and financing costs to that.

It would seem to me that it would mean 500 or more added to the cost of each electro.

http://www.warpig.com/paintball/arti...082203sp.shtml

Smart Parts, Inc. and National Paintball Supply, Inc. today announced the signing of a Patent License Agreement giving National Paintball Supply rights to make, sell, offer for sale, and distribute products covered by Smart Parts¹ electronic paintball gun patents.

Smart Parts owns several issued patents and pending patent applications related to the use of electronics in the control and operation of paintball guns. These include, for instance, U.S. Patent Nos. 5,881,707; 5,967,133; 6,035,843; and 6,474,326 B1.