Page 14 of 24 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Smart Parts Patent Will Destroy Paintball! - Read!

I haven't had the time to read all 13 pages but I'm commenting anyway.
    It could take more in lawyers fees for some companys to fight this than it would be worth. If the patent looks iron-clad it might not be worth wasting lawyers fees on. SP might not have been the first, but if they did the legalities right they could be in the drivers seat on this.
    Hope not.
    If they are?

Long live the ULT!

Originally posted by Johnny_Reb
    Hey if you mess with me expect me to comeback. 18 now I think you have the record.
    Pot calling the kettle black. You're still referring to me.

Originally posted by automagking182
    holy crap no skillz u sure are showing alot of maturity for a 28 year old arguing like that
    Looks like your fellow geniuses are bringing their flamethrowers to your rescue. BTW, what's long and hard on Automagking182?

Answer:The second grade.

FYI 2003-1977=26

Pot calling the kettle black.You're still refering to me.
    Stop messing with me and Ill stop refering to you, and in the meantime Id think of something more offensive to say than"stop refering to me"
    Answer:the second grade.

ok one of yal needs to be the bigger man and just stop talking about the other that will stop it so whos it gonna be?

Originally posted by Johnny_Reb
    Stop messing with me and Ill stop refering to you, and in the meantime Id think of something more offensive to say than"stop refering to me"
    Aw. Poor baby. AGREED!!!

thank you trans man. you two are cluttering this allready enormous thread.

also I think that there has been a lot of speculation of what will happen IF they win.
    I personally believe that one of the worst things that could happen is this gets tied up in court, and companies lose money on court costs.

I promise you all that there will be no market where the shocker is the only electro.. it just wont happen.

Well, I guess paintball does have an ugly side. I don't know all the facts yet, but from what I have gathered, it's not looking good for the rest of the industry. True, they may have ever legal right, and in business terms, it is brilliant, but in a gentlemanly way, it is cowardly and a sucker punch of attacks. My opinion of SP is similar to that of the KKK, they can do what they want, but I can still call them ugly and harmful.

BTW, I wrote them a well composed letter this morning, and included with it the trigger microswitch from my old defiant. I figure since they don't want any company to have it, I shouldn't have it either.

umm can we get a moderator in here to clean up this thread

I promise you all that there will be no market where the shocker is the only electro.. it just wont happen.
    True but when other electros are hugely priced it might as well be.See Doc Nickel's article.

And Ill lay off No Skillz if he stops those 1st grade "stop refering" things that have not point...

ok then its settled you have both stopped.

I read Dock Nickel's Article, he said the prices will go up and gave the figures. Those are rumored figures, and frankly kind of useless. He was trying to prove the point that that could happen. Its likelyness is pretty slight though.

If its enough to get all the manufacturers fired up I would think the chances would be higher than you think.

But if it does succeed, SP could monoplize the Low End Electro market by developing a low cost Impy or another gun, and make a lot of money off that.

Originally posted by IcantBelieveit
    umm can we get a moderator in here to clean up this thread
    This coming from someone who has a swastica in his sig? Yall should get rid of those and find something else to put in there thats not as offensive.....

Good Traders: Pnzrfst, NATO, Kai, buckwheat05

*Official Automag Pictures*

My Feedback

Originally posted by automagking182

This coming from someone who has a swastica in his sig? Yall should get rid of those and find something else to put in there thats not as offensive.....
    Your math is offensive.

How about we keep this an informative discussion and not a whiney flamefest. Keep it clean.

Moorewatch

If you read this, thank a teacher.
    If you read this in English, thank a soldier.

perhaps some of the larger industry companies like AGD, WDP, WGP, kingman, delta and so forth can obtain an option to buy out smart parts and they will all own a piece of smart parts. That way they will own a piece of the patent and not have to worry about it.

That is if smart parts is willing to sell...sounds like the industry will have to make S.P. and offer the can't refuse..??

Quote: MarkM
    "virus attacks have been dealt with, same with back door nasties. ."

My feed back

SP being a much larger company than any of these others, I dont think they COULD be bought, let alone would all these other companies WANT to buy them. Its a good idea just not very likely.

While im not sure that SP is bigger than Kingman or BE i dont think they would sell anyways. If they are offered to be bought then they know they have won and will not let someone buy them out because if all this is true they stand to get a lot more money in the long run then they ever would by being bought out.

I seenoones gone to FoN, which would be a good place for all this to be posted.
    so I did it
    http://www.forceofnature.com/modules...ewtopic&t=1847

IMO i think someone or a mod should take all the information we have on this situation and make a new thread on it. Only facts should be in the thread, and intelligent points/discussions.

Then we could start over and let other people, who dont want to go through 14 pages of info see whats going on.

Any off beat discussions, or I HATE SMARTPARTS comments could be deleted and we could update the thread when further information comes out. Just a thought...

Until then, This hurts me as a player, to see my sport struggle more then what it already needs to.

Tecno~

p8ntballer.com had an article about the SP thing and needless to say PBN has somne threads on it.

EDIT:I think p8ntballer.com shouldnt have changed its look.

I don't see how they could have possibly be granted a patent on this. There are way too many electronic devices with on/off switches. This could blow up in SP's faces.

I spent some time on the phone with smartparts, and yes this is definatly a bad deal it isn't as bad as this thread makes it sound. SP only plans on sueing WDP and ICD, so while it will greatly affect Angels and Bushmasters it won't realy change anything else too much. In the end AGD and WGP won't even be afected unless smartparts is lying to thier distributers.

I was just reading through the infamous "Navy Patent".

For those that have not read through the last 13 pages, there is a patent from 1971, for an electropneumatic paintball gun. It has a built-in ACE, and force-feed hopper.
    It was designed to shoot paintballs for use in wargames.

Pretty Cool.

Well its mentioned in the Smart Parts Shocker AND Impulse patent.

Hmmmm...What does that mean?
    Smart Parts clearly references an earlier electropneumatic paintball gun in there own patent.

Am I crazy, or does this clearly invalidate there claim?
    UNLESS... they bought the rights to that Navy patent?

If they DID, then they may actually have a great chance of winning a court case since that navy patent would clearly predate any early-90s electro?

Interesting....

nick brassard

Don't Support Paintball Nazis

Boycott Smart Parts

can you say:

BLOW SMART PARTS OUT OF THE CIRCLE ONLINE AO PARTY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and

EMAIL BOMB!!!!

most likely thas their short term plan...the ugly truth is that they will use that case to set a precident then persue everybody else with case law to back their expanded claim up.

why else would other manufacturers take this "very seriously" if they werent next on the list, and saw the big picture of what sp was doing.

their statement may be true as of now...but not tipping their hand on their plans for future world domination. next thing you know austria wont be enough and they will want chekoslovakia also.

Originally posted by thecavemankevin
    industry will have to make S.P. and offer the can't refuse..??
    I'll get my muscle and tell Vito. You work on the coppers.

I distributed calm, well worded, buisness like flyers to local pro shops and fields. I'm hopin this will get the word out. I'm also going to start a web petition. When does it hit the courts?
    Originally posted by AGD
    What are some joys and struggles of your career?
    The joys are when you make it work well.
    The struggles are when they want it to be a different color

AGD

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/thefifthmarker/

Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't patents have a lifespan of around 15 years?

I may have missed it, but is this the patent number?
    Originally posted by AGD
    "No we don't install these things, there are no instructions and the box really sucks."

www.southwestvoodoo.com

okie dokie folks. Its time to My debating asses 2 cents on this(yes i was a debate team captain)

OK first. I dunno who said it but patents do have a lifespan and I think that Navy 1971 patent is prolly dead. HOWEVER, what tends to happen in regard to patents outdating, is a marginal update in what has been patented and creating a new patent on a slightly diffrent product.

CASE AND POINT. designer drugs for allergies and such seem to change names every time you turn around. Well thats because when the patent runs out generic drugs are on the market and they need the NEW patent.

(I THINK thats right)

2nd thing I dont know HOW the hell this thing is going to stand up in a court of law, and if someone fights it how SMART PARTS or the defendant can afford something as messy as this.

3rd. I like the idea of a coalition of companies buying out smart parts, however "buying out" in the general sense of the term. would be impossible. BUt there are other ways to buy out a company that does not require an actual offer to be made or accepted.NOw I doubt SP has stock so buying them out stock wise would be impossible, however if it were possible yopu could A. take over B. control the board(if they have one which I doubt)

SO we cant buy them.

We currently can't stop this patents approval by court.(the lack of knowledge about our sport hurts us here)

What can we do. While someone elses patent cannot be "used"(without permission) Im pretty sure the file or document is publicly accesable. Someone needs to read SMart Parts actual Patent. If Smart Part details the inner workings of an electroneaumatic marker to any reasonable degree then it could be advantagious( simply change whatever that minor detail is.)

There is one time. SP cannot sue anyone at the moment(dont think) because of ex post facto(i think). They could claim that since its an alteration of an older patent that they can sue for royalties, but I think they know they'd lose or its gonna cost a hole hell of alot.

So they cant sue (I dont think) or demand royalties if the gun was designed BEFORE thedate of the alteration in the patent( im prolly wrong)

OK I admit im 18 and dont know alot of law but this is what I think is right take it with a couple grains of salt.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rooster
    By a great percentage they are uneducated, religiously fanatical, and completely and hopelessly ignorant.
    Rooster refering to himself and the christian conservatives?

The Smart Parts reply from "Spesh" at SP:

"Smart Parts as a company is not suing every company but we are going after Indian Creek Designs at the moment. It is a lawsuit that does pertain to the electronic gun design. I’m really not sure why people are trying to boycott or even have any interest in this matter. We did invent and do have patents on certain electronic gun designs, that other companies have used to further there own line of markers. We as a company tried to settle these issues out of court but none of the other companies would do that so we are suing for patent infringement on our ideas, just like any company or person who has invented something would. You can’t have companies stealing ideas from people and or companies to further there own business and not give back to the inventor. I assure you we are not going after these companies for selfish reasons; we are only trying to run an honest and family oriented business that makes the best paintball products out there. If everyone can steal your ideas and get away with it then where would this country be today? Thank you so much for your support"

Note: I got this off paintball.com which is not know for accuracy.

So, if SP is NOT suing ICD for using electronics, then why is AKA, WAS, AGD, PTP, and everyone saying they are?
    They seem to contradict themselves later on by complaining that people ARE ripping them off.

Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't patents have a lifespan of around 15 years?
    Hmmm... So the Navy Patent would have DEFINETLY expired.
    What does that mean?
    My guess is that it automatically becomes PUBLIC-DOMAIN, and can't be re-patented?

Nick Brassard