Thread: Help Mini Mag Problem

Unhappy Help Mini Mag Problem

Hey my mini mag is acting up sometimes it will shoot longer b4 the problem happens then other times but ill be shooting an everything will feel fine then all of the sudden ill shoot and it sounds like the gun ran out of air an the bolt weakly moves forward an the gun goes dead but the trigger still has a little pressure under it and the only way that i can get it to start shooting again is by unscrweing the tank (compressed air if it matters) all the way then screwing it back in and it comes to life another problem i think that shouldnt be happening is i push the valve all the way up to the main tube of the gun an tighten the screw an then when i start firing it it kinda backs up about a cm maybe a little less does that have anything to do with this problem and if so how can i fix it thanks

Re: Help Mini Mag Problem

Originally posted by wallen
    another problem .... when i start firing it it kinda backs up about a cm maybe a little less .... thanks
    I hope you mean 1 mm not 1 cm.

The valve will move a bit. Don't worry about it. It will move as far back as the field strip screw will allow as soon as the air pressure is aplied.

The shooting problem sounds like bolt stick. I suspect that your bolt spring is worn out. Replace it with a new one and try it again.
    Except for the Automag in front, its usually the man behind the equipment that counts.

Ok thanks for the info i dont know much about automags as this is my first one and have never disasembled the valve so im assuming you meen the big spring on the outside I will try that but if that isn't it what else could be causing this also i forgot to mention that sometimes ill shoot once and instead of firing one shot it will do like a burst of 2 sometimes 3 even

possibilies

1. missing rail bushing

2. bolt stick (go to longer PT spacer or larger level 10 carrier... or add shims to level 10)

3. compressed bolt spring

4. multiple shots - worn sear or bolt
    Proud Member Of The AO Cesspool Since 08-24-2002

Hey wallen,

Here's some things to check so you can get your Minimag up and running.

First of all, it was already mentioned but the first thing you should do is replace the bolt spring. It's the gold colored spring that goes around the bolt. If it's almost the same length as the bolt when it's on the bolt, then it needs to be replaced and might be causing problems.

I'm assuming you probably have Level 7, which is the old bolt system and you can tell if it's Level 7 by looking at the back side of the bolt. If there's a stem sticking out, it's Level 10, if the stem is inside the bolt it's Level 7.

The next thing to check is your sear. If the latching point that holds onto the bolt is rounded off or looks worn, you should replace it. Replacement sears from AGD are $15 and they will last a long time as long as you don't have aftermarket parts on the gun like gripframes or double triggers that cause problems.

What kind of aftermarket stuff do you have on the gun?

Also, check to make sure the gun has a rail bushing. This is a steel tube that goes in the field strip screw hole and it aligns the rail and the grip frame.

If none of this helps, take off the brass tip on the front of the valve and then under it you'll see a brass ring. Pull this out and look at the number. You'll want to get a spacer kit from AGD and use one that is larger in size to stop the bolt stick.

theres a dye grip on it with dbl trigger and the eclipse kit

ok i found somthing that doesnt look right

when i pulled the bolt off the front of the valve and unscrewed that brass tube when i look down it i think i see a piece of o ring or something rubber (looks like a beat up o ring to me if this could be causing the problems im talkiing about let me know how to fix it or what i need to do thanks

If it is L7: remove the bolt.
    take a nickel and unscrew the power tube tip.
    take out the spacer and the broken oring
    put a new power tube oring in.
    put PT spacer back in
    screw PT tip back on and add a couple drops of oil to the oring and reassemble gun.

If it is LX:
    remove bolt and bolt spring
    remove PT tip
    remove spacer
    remove the carrier and change the oring in the carrier
    oil the oring a little and reassemble gun.