Thread: Just got my first mag used! How to examine it!

Just got my first mag used! How to examine it!

Hey guys, its my first post here and I just wanted to say this looked like a really nice forum! After seeing my cousin's minimag and shooting it, I fell in love with these mags and wanted one since. Way nicer than the freeflow cocker he had! Def better than the spyder junk I have and the clones i used (cough rebel)! Anyways, I just got a used Mag off of a respectable person and was wondering what to test/check on the marker to make sure its 100%. I've never been in the internals, but I am not scared to open her up! Its a 68 Classic w/ the following stuff:

- Standard Hopper Right Body
    - Blue Benchmark Foregrip
    - Blue Benchmark Double Trigger Frame
    - A.N.S Phase II Valve :
    - RT Bolt
    - Split Grips
    - 12" 32* Carbon Fiber Barrel

Will any parts internally present any problems. My guy I am buying from has played with it for a while, and its fine. Just want to know thy paintball gun.

I am going to use anti-siphoned c02 for a little while (any trouble w/ tht?)

Thanks for everything!
    AGD is God

Oh yeah... I want to make it clear. This thing should be shooting fine, the seller was great at dealing wiht me. I would just like to know some of the basic fixes and stuff. I'm def. going to like looking at all these posts.

How is C02 on these? I'm just going to be doing rec woods and stuff.

if it aint broke ........

You will need an expansion chamber to run c02 as well as the anti-siphon

Since I had one of these as well way back in the early 90's, I'll try and help out. First thing you want to do is check out the manual (in PDF) online @ http://www.airgun.com/Images/automan.pdf. Take the time and actually read all of text in there (especially since you'll be shooting CO2). It will explain very logically and clearly why the Mag is a truly revolutionary design. Once you feel like you've conquered the theory and design, you'll want to break the gun down and check everything.

Here's the AIR Valve disassembled view - http://www.airgun.com/downloads/valveexplodedview.pdf. A parts kit (http://store.airgun.com/acb/showdetl..._ID=18&CATID=6), of which you should have at least one at all times (so get 2! - especially with CO2) is probably the first purchase. I am a big fan "If it ain't broke, don't fix it", so gas her up and get a feel for how the marker is performing.

Once you know everything's cool with the gun, disassemble it and follow the AIR valve diagram above. If the gun is shooting well (nice velocity and consistency), then you're good to go -> just poke around and take a look inside. You can also get a video off of the AGD site that comes with every 68 AM/MM detailing exactly what is going on - highly reccomended.

Welcome to the club bud. The most important things I can reccomend to you (as somewhat who had a standard feed Mag that used CO2) is to pick up an agitating loader, a Level 10 (very important) and a good expansion chamber. With the onslaught of new types of Mags, the classifieds here are a boon for picking up great used parts very inexpensively.

Thanks a lot guys. I have checked out some of those diagrams, dosen't look that bad inside here. I got a revy 12volt with Xboard and I was planning on doing anti siphones and protecting the internals.

I plan on getting the ACI expansion chamber. Real nice reviews.

Jui Viente Dos Guest
    Just becareful when rapid firing with Co2 on a Mag, it may freeze the O-Rings and start a leak. If that happens just hold the trigger back and stop firing. Let the O-Ring warm up and everthing will be ok. Good idea to use an Expansion chamber and Anti-Siphon tube. When you save enough money, switch to nitrogen.

If your 'mag isn't leaking now, don't do anything with it. Just put a few drops of Autolube or other paintball gun oil in the air valve, then take off the barrel and dry fire to cycle the oil through.

Thanks a lot for the more response. Its great to see what some of you guys say and their basic tips. If I were to upgrade to nitro what tank would be best?

I have seen like fixed pressure tanks and what not, and others ask if specific tanks work. I thought nitro is nitro... Also, the reg is built into the gun so u don't need 1?

How about c02 on the mag? Will I be okay with it if I have an anti-siphon installed?

Also... isn't there a valve that prohibits liquid from entering the gun? Where does the liquid in the c02 tank go?

Oh yeah... a female stabilizer that would help not get liquid inside correct? I need to look those up.... that was the name of the part.

if you want to spend buckhhooss of bucks on a killer co2 setup do this.

anti-siphon a 20 oz tank
    run a huge exp chamber
    install the inline palmer reg
    gut the AIR valve on the mag.....

if you buy all those parts used you can probally get in under 100 bucks. Its nice to have a good co2 setup mag when the feild is out of nitro or thier fills are below 2k..

personaly i didnt like running CO2 on my mag it would freeze up and stuff even with a good expansion chamer, so i would reccomend not spening money on any of the stuff you need to make co2 run well and get a reasonable nitro tank, say a "68/3000 PMI fiber wrapped" one, it will save you the hassle,

I know you're prolly not ready yet, but for major upgrades for preformace you may wanna get an X-valve and a Ultra Light Engeneering Trigger pull kit. Its around 270$ if you tradee in your old valve. Intelliframes are good too, they make it so when you shoot your revy adjitates and they look good too. Mabey too much for you now, but in the future, in the future...
    -fully upped mech mag (magzilla) www.havoc-online.com
    -upped 68 mag (class) My Feedback AIM = nate2k191
    -live in peace TK-
    AO-TX

Originally posted by nate2k191
    personaly i didnt like running CO2 on my mag it would freeze up and stuff even with a good expansion chamer, so i would reccomend not spening money on any of the stuff you need to make co2 run well and get a reasonable nitro tank, say a "68/3000 PMI fiber wrapped" one, it will save you the hassle,

I know you're prolly not ready yet, but for major upgrades for preformace you may wanna get an X-valve and a Ultra Light Engeneering Trigger pull kit. Its around 270$ if you tradee in your old valve. Intelliframes are good too, they make it so when you shoot your revy adjitates and they look good too. Mabey too much for you now, but in the future, in the future...
    Yeah, I thought that about c02... I think im only going to be using it for a little while then I will get nitro! Anyhow, what tanks do you guys recommend? I see tanks that are fixed and others... What are the differances? Also, how much longer do fiber wraped tanks last than the standard aluminum 1s? is it worth extra money?

By the way.... when you trade your own valve in, you can go retro for 199$ It looked like a decent deal.

Actually, fiber tanks don't last any longer than alloy ones, they are just MUCH lighter. At the center of the carbon fiber wrap is a think alloy tank just like the thick ones without the fiber. The carbon fiber is about 30 percent stronger than metal and much lighter, so that's what makes fiber wrapped tanks better. If you want to go Nitro cheap, you can get an alloy nitro tank for around $100, or maybe even cheaper on Ebay. I got my first alloy nitro tank on ebay for $65.

Originally posted by Plazmic
    Actually, fiber tanks don't last any longer than alloy ones, they are just MUCH lighter. At the center of the carbon fiber wrap is a think alloy tank just like the thick ones without the fiber. The carbon fiber is about 30 percent stronger than metal and much lighter, so that's what makes fiber wrapped tanks better. If you want to go Nitro cheap, you can get an alloy nitro tank for around $100, or maybe even cheaper on Ebay. I got my first alloy nitro tank on ebay for $65.
    Thanks- Will check out the tanks on Ebay. But, I will be aware of the brands and whatnot.

PMI Pure Energy tanks are good, solid tanks for fairly cheap. I've had two and they've been excellent. I use a Nitro Duck fiber now, though, and I'm loving it.
    Last edited by Plazmic; 01-11-2004 at 12:34 PM.

Ebay's a good place to get one. I got a new ACI BulldogII for like 120. You'll find a good deal.