Thread: Using a pneumatic cylinder to reset bolt, i.e. no bolt spring idea

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Using a pneumatic cylinder to reset bolt, i.e. no bolt spring idea for increased eff.

I just thought of this like 10 seconds ago and wanted to get it out for some ideas. I was reading about how Mags use buttloads of air since pushing the spring is so hard, and therefore crummy efficiency. What if you milled a small slit in the side of the body next to the bolt and put a little rod on the side of the bolt via a screw-in method so it could be removed to let you take out the bolt and mounted so that it would stick out and cycle when the gun fired. Now, take out the bolt spring and in its place add a pneumatic cylinder to the side of the gun connected to the rod on the bolt. That way, when you fired, the rod could be set to vent and the operating pressure that needed to be fired against the bolt spring could be greatly reduced. Then, after firing, the cylinder could actuate and push the bolt back in place. The cylinder would need a lot less air to reset the bolt than it takes for the bolt to push past the effects of the spring right now. A 3-way could be put in inside the grip frame under the sear, and it could get around the intellifeed switch by extending the trigger rod past the sear. A 3-way adds like zero force to act against, so there's still a light trigger pull, ala the ULT. A special-made foregrip regulator could be made that will split the air into two directions, one going directly to the valve and another going into the regulator for the pneumatic cylinder (note, the X-valve's air would NOT be regulated, just bypassed through the foregrip.
    What you think?

PS- After a little thinking it might actually be possible to put the pneumatic cylinder into the rail itself. That could camouflague the entire setup, making the mag look no different and adding much improved efficiency, however it would give added complexity. However, since the body need not be sealed around the bolt area (I don't think, correct me if I'm wrong) then a simple turning of a small valve could disconnect the reg in the foregrip, putting in a bolt spring, and then an unscrewing of the little nub on the bolt and thus allow a "standard mode" incase of any failures with the reg or whatever, maybe you just want it to be standard for the time being.

Please tell me if this kind of thing has been done before or if there are any major fallacies in my design. I was thinking that the other cocker-mag hybrids were made so that the trigger moved a 3-way which controlled a rod connected to the sear.

What do you think? I'll try to put up some pics real fast here and show more what I'm trying to say.
    Last edited by bertmcmahan; 01-16-2004 at 11:12 PM.
    AIM-bertmcmahan
    My email:bertmcmahan@hotmail.com
    My feedback thread
    Good traders: richie,Roguefactor,moufo48,845,brtncstm160,vf-xx

Mags don't shoot darts... they shoot nails.
    I used to be bertmcmahan, that I did.