Thread: Shortening RT on/off pin?

Shortening RT on/off pin?

Im running my RT valve with LX on my classic body mag on a 68 ci 3k max flo. The input is about 950-1000 and im still hardly getting any kick with the trigger. I have heard a little talk about shortening the on/off pin to give me reactivity, but was not sure of the long term affects or how to go about doing it. Thanks for any help anyone can provide.

don't shorten it. it will cause damage to the bolt and sear

ignore him, Demobilized... you CAN do it... you just have to be ANAL about it. And you need a really nice micrometer, and a VERY steady hand on a knife sharpening stone, or perhaps a needle file.

oh, and a couple of extra on-off pins in case you screw it up, like I did. But NOW my mag is RIPPING, and it's sweet.

disclaimer: do this at your own risk... the "Factory-Trained AGD Tech" who told me to try this didn't say anything about bolt or sear damage. But it's your own thing. And don't take it below like, .73500... in fact, keep it longer if at all possible. Much shorter than that, and your mag will do WACKY things. --Dave
    I have better qualities, I am funnier, sexier, and my a$$ is like 'woh' (2/15/2004 11:51 pm)

* individuality has joined #automags
    anyone around right now?
    hello?
    * individuality has left #automags
    (3/23/2004, 5:45 am)

"Having shot my share of cops..." -- Tom Kaye, AGD, 5/3/04

Ignore HIM.

The on/off pin is a certain size for a reason. DO NOT atempt to change it. Too much modification can lead to a gun that does not fire at all or is uncontrollable.

They are measured to THOUSANDTHS of an inch. Pretty exacting tolerances. Unless you can match that, DON'T do it.

Originally posted by funkmunky56
    ignore him, Demobilized... you CAN do it... you just have to be ANAL about it. And you need a really nice micrometer, and a VERY steady hand on a knife sharpening stone, or perhaps a needle file.

oh, and a couple of extra on-off pins in case you screw it up, like I did. But NOW my mag is RIPPING, and it's sweet.

disclaimer: do this at your own risk... the "Factory-Trained AGD Tech" who told me to try this didn't say anything about bolt or sear damage. But it's your own thing. And don't take it below like, .73500... in fact, keep it longer if at all possible. Much shorter than that, and your mag will do WACKY things. --Dave

ignore ME?! I simply stated that it's POSSIBLE to make tiny changes in your on-off pin length, and that said changes would make a difference in the performance of your marker. I ALSO said that you need a REALLY good micrometer, such as the Mitutoyo Digimatic sitting on my desk right now (1 in x 0.00005) and a lot of patience. And a willingness to accept that you MIGHT screw up and take too much off, in which case, you'll need another pin.

So, simmer down. I even added a disclaimer. And nobody I've talked to who's affiliated with AGD has substantiated TO ME that there's any sear/bolt damage associated with shortening your on-off pin. Of course, I can imagine if you took it down to.72500 or so, and ran your 'Mag runaway style like that for a while, it'd prob'ly blow up. But, as far as I'm concerned, a LITTLE tweakin' never hurt anyone, or anything. It's not like we're talkin' about a cocker. --Dave

Shortening your on/off pin will give you more reactivity and wil not kill your bolt as long as you do it carefully.

I took mine from .7500 to .7480 and it helped out a lot on my retro lv X micromag.

Funkymunky, that mic of yours that measures down to 5/10000 of an inch won't do you any good if you are holding that little pin in your fingers. Your body heat on something that small with measuring tools that precise can cause quite a bit of thermal fluctuation. Not that It would make that much difference. One would be best off measuring the pin holding it with some tweezers.
    Cobalt DM4
    Team Synapsis
    THE GARDNER BROS ARE AS COOL AS HERPES

By the way, I am assuming that you grind off of the long end, not the end with the head on it. Right?

I asked an AGD tech why my RTP came with a .755 pin instead of the .765 like the specs call for. He said that its no problem unless you get trigger bounce (tourny rules)or it goes into runnaway (malfunction=bad).

He even sent me a longer one .755 instead of the .750 to put in my new X-valve to stop it from running away in my minimag.

AFrankart: well, duh. I use a pair of micro-needlnose pliers with it... however, the thermal expansion rate on Stainless Steel occurs at a MUCH higher temperature than my body can withstand, so length change holding in my fingers would be a non-issue.

and yes, off the skinny end of the pin. I guess I should specify, for those to whom such an idea is not so common sense.

--Dave

Demobilized, listen to day and Dont mess with the pin.. Like he said it was made that lenth for a reason. If your not getting the much reactivity then put your input a little Below 800psi and use the Small/stock spring.

Agian Adjust your reactivity with your Lx srpings. (if you dont like it you can always go back to the spring you were using)

also what kind of frame are you using?
    RT
    Ace'd Emag (sold)
    Xmag (sold)

If you want to adjust the reactivity the CORRECT way, up your input pressure.

You break something b/c you shorten your on/off and you have to send it back to AGD, they'll measure the on/off and see that it was modified. Guess what? You just voided your warranty.