Thread: What do you know about this?

What do you know about this?

Hey AO,

I picked this up locally off Craigslist (price is unimportant, though I can tell you with confidence it was a steal), and needless to say, I'm super excited about it. The guy I bought it from told me it was previously owned by a Pittsburgh Steeler (some name I cannot recall anymore) who had it "custom painted" for him.. I nodded my head, was respectful, and knew I would be bringing it to the real authority on automag history--AO.

I don't know much of the history behind this and would be happy for some insight.

What's the story behind the splash? It is green, black and silver.

What's the story behind the valve? Matching valve: SM01315. Came with a lvl 10 that I learned only after getting it home and opening it up.

What's the story with the smart parts writing on the back of the Benchmark?

Does anyone have a matching power feed plug they would let me buy from them?

Finally, is there a way I can rock a tank on this guy (either ASA or drop/ASA) while still keeping the stock attached?

Thanks!
    Jason

Thanks!

That's purdy! Midnight green is a nice looking ano...
    Stay Classy, AO...
    BEO: RIP / Topgun Paintball: RIP / Old MCB: RIP

Nice late 90s smartpart mag.

That is what we refer to as a 'score'

Cyco-Dude Guest
    just a smart parts smart mag with a splash kit. pretty nice kit; i think it's only missing the powerfeed plug. looks to be in great shape too. put a few drops of synthetic oil in the asa, take the barrel off, fire it 20-30 times, put the barrel back on and go play with it!

I've owned at least 4 different benchmarks. and may still have them, with RT, gun fxs, benchmark and I think a "Pro parts/line /pro something, on them. All the same except winged or flat top. Great frames only heavy as guilt and sin. I even embarked on a "lightening " project once. It has ounces and ounces of material that can be removed and never weaken the frame. You can almost call then a "slug" frame, vast possibility's for custom carving. hmmmmm, maybe finger grove the front strap, checked the back strap, holy the trigger guard. File and sandpaper time! And as much as I despise Smartparts I wouldn't balk at the slpash pattern. midnite green is purty. it's a shame that the trigger guard is cut, but with a piece of alum. and a good tig artist, a nice double guard could be fashioned. And if your any good at wood work ,take that nasty top finger groove and round it off. I did on one of my pair and it's much more comfortable and pleasing to look at. As for the tank and stock set up, I've fiddled for years trying to make one that's a smooth good looking set up. The closest I've got is with a crosman stock and an extension block. not purty and the mounting hole alignment is a bear. also the asa suffered sever damage, don't do that with your splashed set. Maybe one from Luke could be designed.
    Last edited by Runamok; 09-16-2014 at 03:39 AM.
    I took the road least traveled...now where the hell am I ?

Cyco-Dude Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Runamok View Post
    hmmmmm, maybe finger grove the front strap...
    kapp did that; called the "groovy" frame.

DeuceSV: I'm glad to see someone on AO snagged this. You have a really nice example of a SmartMag with all of the major upgrades. Unfortunately, it has a cut trigger guard, but that what it would be like back in the mid 90's. Cockers have the whole drilled for eyes issue, Automags have cut trigger guards.... Most of these guys have you covered already. I suggest looking at the link captian pinky gave

What's the story behind the splash? It is green, black and silver. Midnight Green (Dark Green Base, Black Sponge, White Splash

What's the story behind the valve? Matching valve: SM01315. Came with a lvl 10 that I learned only after getting it home and opening it up. From the AO Archives... "Then they came out with the "SmartMag" This was a totally new valve that was actually manufactured by AGD and sold with the Smart Parts name on it. It was just an enlarged air chamber. It didn't make it any better, and in fact a lot of people said it affected efficiency. They are not very rare and would sell for a bit over a normal classic valve price." Luckily it already came with a lvl 10 so no need for upgrades.

What's the story with the smart parts writing on the back of the Benchmark? This was a factory SmartMag and they came with the laser engraving straight from the factory.

Does anyone have a matching power feed plug they would let me buy from them? Feel free to post on the WTB forum. We have a bunch of splash lovers on the site that may be able to help. I will keep my eyes peeled for you though.

Finally, is there a way I can rock a tank on this guy (either ASA or drop/ASA) while still keeping the stock attached? Nothing is coming to me at the moment. I was thinking of a P-Stock, but it wouldn't work with the current configuration.

Thanks AO, I really appreciate it.

I'll keep you updated with what I do with it--though I can tell you this is without a doubt going to see some play very soon. A local field hosts some night games (a few big floodlights here and there) that are usually a lot of fun. The midnight green machine will be claiming souls.

Thumbs up score

good job with this find !

Love the way that old school ano looks

to keep the stock and rock a bottle, just put a back bottle adapter on it. Get a flat black AGD one and it will go well with the whole thing.

Then you can rock your stock off the back bottle adapter and your tank off the ASA.

Or, if you prefer, use the anno'd ASA as your back bottle adapter. you can use the same screws, just put them in from the bottom, use small washers and nuts in the rail indentions, mark the screws and cut them off so they're not sticking up into the valve, and then use whatever on/off ASA tickles your fancy.

Quote Originally Posted by bowcycle View Post
    to keep the stock and rock a bottle, just put a back bottle adapter on it. Get a flat black AGD one and it will go well with the whole thing.

Then you can rock your stock off the back bottle adapter and your tank off the ASA.

Or, if you prefer, use the anno'd ASA as your back bottle adapter. you can use the same screws, just put them in from the bottom, use small washers and nuts in the rail indentions, mark the screws and cut them off so they're not sticking up into the valve, and then use whatever on/off ASA tickles your fancy.
    Thanks Bow. I'll definitely toy around with this idea!

To use stock and add a bottle I'd make or buy if possible a drop forward. Anno it black. Or use black etching primer if I had to make it myself. Then my tank would sit below that sock and look a lot like an old P-stock from the 90s.

Cyco-Dude Guest
    nevermind...

Quote Originally Posted by Cyco-Dude View Post
    nevermind...

kapp did that; called the "groovy" frame.
    I'll do that and call it a runamok's a nut frame then I'll weld up and dress down a trigger guard and call it a ...........frame? maybe not 4 fingures buy like two ,2 fingures groves and call it a " live long and perspire"
    But as Cyco said it's all only limited my your imagination.
    Last edited by Runamok; 09-16-2014 at 04:29 PM.

I'll do that and call it a runamok's a nut frame then I'll weld up and dress down a trigger guard and call it a ...........frame? maybe not 4 fingures buy like two ,2 fingures groves and call it a " live long and perspire"
    Don't know that I follow.

Cyco-Dude Guest

Quote Originally Posted by DeuceSV View Post
    Don't know that I follow.
    nevermind...

fraek out and have fun. If it doesn't involve destroying a classic piece, stretch your imagination. mess with cheap parts until you find the right mix and feel. experiment you may just hit upon a perfect fix.

Oh, I'm not destroying anything. I've decided I'm going to throw one of Xmagterrors gloss black ULE minimag bodies on it and convert the twistlock barrel to cocker threads. Then I'm just going to rock it with a remote. Figure when I play with it, I'll keep with the old school theme and rock a tank on my harness.

--Edit--

Note: I wouldn't call swapping the twistlock over to cocker threads destruction of a classic piece, but I understand if some would think so.

Cyco-Dude Guest
    sounds like a plan; post pics when it's done and all together!

Oh yeah! Old school remote, That set up will definitely turn a few heads on the field. Beautiful gun w/classic set up. Rockin! Doc's adapter? I got two and you can't see them from the outside. Wider variety of barrel options for me. Means I can use My freak on anything I have.Oh now I see,thread for cocker and do the ULE body, sweet! Disreguard the benchy idea I had I don't think my idea would look right after I did some pencil and paper work, drawings looked wrong.
    Sorry I didn't mean to imply that you'd mess up the vintage parts. My mind over runs my typeing ability's and often makes for strange reading. Adhd,forever!
    Last edited by Runamok; 09-17-2014 at 03:40 AM.

Yea, I'm super excited for this one.