Thread: how can i do a trigger job myself?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Question how can i do a trigger job myself?

ive heard that i can file the sear down or something to do my own trigger job. is this true? what do i do?
    what do the pros do when u send your gun in for a trigger job?
    please help
    thanx
    AIM : zeppskier
    email: curly72185@hotmail.com

99'Cocker
    12 in. Dye 2-piece Boomstick
    ANS venturi bolt (blue)
    CP cocking rod
    Shocktech "the bomb: 3-way (blue)
    Psycho Ballistics Drop Forward (blue)
    32* Turbomax 114 ci/4500psi adjustable nitro tank
    Dye stickies (clear)
    ***Planet Eclipse Blade Cocker Frame***

Don't touch anything, you can't do anything to change the trigger unless you have a 2x frame.
    I like potatoes

You most certainly can change the trigger. You can change it for the worst.

In all seriousness, filing down the sear will possibly cause it to slip off the bolt a little sooner but it also will start the wear-down process much sooner leaving you with a non-functioning sear. The sear is expensive to replace so if you aren't made of money don't mess with it.
    "Relax. Don't worry. Have a Home Brew."
    -Charlie Papazian

Feedback: https://www.automags.org/forums/showt...threadid=40134

Don't do a trigger job i will mess up your mag.
    AIM:Mag2589

really?

i had no clue about that.
    ive researched all these sites that say that just polishing the sear is fine, and will not have as much of an increase in sear wear as if u beveled the sear.
    how much does a sear cost?
    what about polishing the on/off pin. i read that will cure velocity drop off during rapid fire.
    what about adjusting the sear rod length? i read that that helps just a little.
    how much would it cost me to have someone do a pro trigger job?

Do not do a trigger job or anything to your automag do not polish anything or change the length it will only make your automag work less good so do not do anything to the sear or trigger rod.

Adjusting your trigger rod length essential puts your gun out of timing and will expedite (sp?) the wearing process of your sear/bolt. Polishing your on/off pin is a bad idea as well, do a search and im sure you'll find out why. Beveling/polishing the sear will make your sear wear out a lot faster. If you want a shorter and lighter trigger pull purchase and Intelliframe. It a really short pull and the double trigger makes it lighter.

i've done all these things to my mags, micro and automag.

i've done all these things to my 2x trigger

beveled the sear,
    shaved the sear,
    shaved the on/off pin
    added set screws in trigger
    and put a spring around the trigger rod to the back off the trigger.

And the only thing it has done to my mag is make it worth somin, i can shoot so much faster, the trigger is now snappy and short, and i've had it like this for about a year now, and its been shot about 100,000 times by me and every body who was interested in the trigger, then i did the same to their trigger.

I havn't had to replace anything.

Another thing i did(i did on accident) was droppd a lil' spring in side the frame, and it got caught against the saftey and the top of the trigger, and when i push the saftey in, it goers auto.

Oh well my mag is pretty cool. And it works, and it hasn't needed replacing on anything.

Yeah, just today, I got my trigger rod lengthned, but I did'nt do it a guy who I know did it because he knows how to better. I think that's all he did. Now, the trigger pull is so short that it is shorter than an Angel's trigger pull. You can pull it with the safety on, so now my safety is a tigger stop. It's aesome. I've already shot about 400 shots through it to make sure it works, I didn't have any problems what so ever.
    Chrome E-Mag Xtreem
    new chrome gladiator reg
    chrome freak
    68ci 4500psi Armegeddon HPA
    Chrome Drop Zone 2(need a cooler drop forward)
    smoke revvy w/ xboard
    smoke warp feed
    itellifeed
    want a c&c body or new body from AGD(whenever they get it done)
    "You can hide but you'll just die alone"

yeah well its not shorter than an angels trigger, the angel activates a microswith, a mag has to active the on/off and realease the sear, so there would be more length in the mags trigger no doubt. But it may seem like it compared to a normal mags trigger
    any ways trigger jobs can be done on mags with no problem.

I've playd with an angel before, and this IS shorter than it. Maybe the angel just hadwasted trigger pull or something, but I can literally touch my trigger and it will shoot.

Do not listen to mac2k4 and manofmags!!

Do not try to give your gun a trigger job!!

Just ask RobAGD, a mag trigger job is a myth!!

Any adjustments you make to the tolerances inside your gun will cause an increase in wear and a decrease in performance. You may not think so when you first try it, but it all messes with your gun. Wouldnt you think that AGD would have the gun set up the best it can get from the factory?- Well, they do. No amount of fiddiling will increase performance in any way.

Here's my advice: Dont mess with anything! Get an intelliframe!
    Brass Eagle really really sucks!

To be right you have to have a certain amount of pull or this guy did it wrong. I'm shortened many a trigger frames and am well aware what it takes to do it, there is no magic. A mag needs a certain amount of sear movement, you can't make it smaller or it's gonna wear out or have bad shootdown, eat the bolt, etc. The best trigger mod (Benchy) is to put a set screw in the frame. Or if you have a lot of time on your hands like me make a whole new trigger. Save your money and get an intelliframe, AGD's tolerances are good so you don't need any trigger jobs. Just play with your trigger, the more your finger gets used to it the faster it will become.

The term "trigger job" is so subjective, it has no real meaning in the paintball world. Now I don't care how precise you are with a dremel or how "great" the trigger feels after you spent all your spare time beveling and polishing the sear, shortening the on/off pin and shoving springs in every corner of the frame, you just flat out can't do a trigger job to a Mag that amounts to anything without causing more shootdown and premature wear.

The first thing people try to do to the gun is fiddle with the trigger rod length. For some reason people seem to think that if they unscrew that rod, they can take up the slack in the trigger and it will be shorter. What happens is the on/off pin pushes down on the sear and the trigger rod moves forward and is positioned right behind the back of the trigger. The problem is that if you unscrew that trigger rod too far and it hits the back of the trigger before the on/off pin is allowed to open all the way, you create more shootdown in the gun than what you had before. This makes it so that the on/off pin isn't allowed to move as far away from the on/off top o-ring as possible and you create a smaller air flow gap. As long as there is some amount of gap inbetween the back of the trigger and the trigger rod, then you know that the on/off pin is allowed to open all the way. The reason why there is the tolerance length of 1.98" for the trigger rod is because this is the length for the stock frame which has the shortest pull possible. The trigger rod must be set to that exact length so that it's not too far forward hitting the trigger and not too far back, which would not allow the sear to be able to pivot all the way down and release the bolt.

As for polishing the sear, you're just trying to create the wear that would normally occur during the process of using the gun. It's kind of like buying a new car. The new car's motor doesn't perform to its peak level until you break it in. Breaking it in involves getting a final fit and finish on all of the parts, which means less friction and since less energy will be wasted to friction, the engine will have more useful power. So polishing your sear to smooth it out might make the trigger seem smoother, but nobody can control the amount of metal they take off as accurately as letting the gun break-in with normal use. So taking your file and sandpaper to the sear is just another way to ruin the tolerances of the gun and run into more problems as you use the gun more. Just let the gun break-in with normal use and the trigger will get better over time, just like the engine in a new car.

Shortening the on/off pin is a great way to make your gun shoot like crap. The gun is designed so that the on/off closes just before the sear releases the bolt. You shorten the on/off pin and it won't do that anymore and you'll be calling AGD for a new pin.

Even though your friend Billy Bob can do the "greatest" trigger jobs to Mags and he can give you a super short pull, ask him to tell you how a Mag works in detail and then ask him if he's just altered all of that by screwing with the operation of the gun. If you want your trigger pull to be lighter, get an Intelliframe. If you want it to be smoother, go out and play with the gun more so the sear and bolt break-in. If you want it to be shorter, get an E-Mag.

alligator44

how much for an intelliframe?
    how much for it with the blade trigger?

JCP member #140 Guest
    I just called AGD about and intelliframe with a blade trigger and they said that it costs $130.

There are a couple of things that you might consider doing with your mag that may effect the feel of the trigger as well as increasing consistency. Make sure you have someone that has worked with mags and knows what they are doing though. Polishing out the regulator and regulator piston as well as lightly stretching the white teflon o'rings in the on/off may make a difference since they can be a little tight an restrict the movement of the on/off pin. Just be careful not to stretch the o'rings too far or it won't seal correctly.

black, you really kicked the crap outta this post. you are the man....

how did he kick the crap outta anything?
    i'm tellin ya, i have made my mag worth a damn by doing forms of trigger adjustment and addons.
    If what your saying about well theres a reason why this, or that, well if they would have made it to where ya didn't have to waste the extra 3 hours to do all this it would have been good.

alligator44

trigger jobs on the intelliframe? who can do em, if i get one, where could i get a really nasty job done to it?

I agree with every1 who says that there is no trigger job for the mag. All those so called "Mag tregger jobs" are a bunch of baloni! It is true that the more you play with your mag, the better the trigger gets. When i got my minimag, I thought it had the hardest trigger in the world. After a bout a month of playin with it, my finger has gotten used to it, and instead of 2 a second, i can now shoot about 5 a second with a STOCK minimag.... after some more time, it will shoot even faster.

~Team Disaster~

MM00238
    -Dye Ultralite 12"
    -Q/D-connect outta Vert ASA
    -Chrome Taso Cradle
    -Crossfire 48ci 3000psi Preset
    -12v Revy Black

Don't mess with the trigger rod...I've heard of terrible problems.

my 2-cents...
    Last edited by ralicea; 09-21-2001 at 06:26 AM.

Fireball Autococker
    12" Dye Aluminum
    12" Freak Barrel

[QUOTE]Originally posted by mac2k4
    i'm tellin ya, i have made my mag worth a damn by doing forms of trigger adjustment and addons.

ok, so you can sell your mag to a newbie who thinks its a good deal because it has a "trigger job"...

If what your saying about well theres a reason why this, or that, well if they would have made it to where ya didn't have to waste the extra 3 hours to do all this it would have been good.

use sentences please