Thread: "World Paintball Committee" and paintball safety? Anyone?

Planet Earth. More than that is debatable.

"World Paintball Committee" and paintball safety? Anyone?

This appeared in my in-box a moment ago. I'm really wondering about this one, only from the aspect of "Where in the hell did this come from?" Opinions?

-Tyger

-begin-

MEDIA ALERT
    To: Editors, Assignment Desks, Paintball Community/Industry, Action Sports Community, Paintball Parks, Vendors and Others.

Brought to you by
    WORLD PAINTBALL COMMITTEE

WHO: Giovanni D’Egidio & Dennis Bukowski

WHAT: The Paintball Global Safety Movement

WHEN: At most major tournaments and high profiled events in the United States
    (First meeting: Saturday, March 6th, 2004. Time: 5:00PM)

WHERE: Fairplex Sheraton Hotel (Pomona, CA). At the Rose Garden.

WHY: The damaging incidents within the past few months need to be addressed. They not only bring about a negative connotation to the sport of paintball, but also endanger the lives of our valued guests. Giovanni D’Egidio and Dennis Bukowski are proud to announce the World Paintball Committee. The committee will serve two purposes:

1) Paintball Operators and Manufacturers will share knowledge of new safety recommendations and guidelines with the industry and manufacturers. It will ultimately be up to individual paintball parks to implement suggestions acquired from the World Paintball Committee meetings and reports.

2) Promote a National Paintball Campaign to bring outside sponsors into paintball, which in turn will promote the sport to bring higher awareness and increase participation.

"Oh, you're wearing a tail and ears, you're a freak."
    "No social change has ever come about without freaks. Einstein was a freak. Ben Franklin was a freak. Martin Luther King was a freak. ...be proud to be included in those ranks."
    -2, The Ranting Gryphon

Holy short notice batman

AFTICA 4 Life! the low rent (unsponsored) AGD team at IAO
    Team Sandbaggers: 2k4 Texball Champs of the world!

SFL Emag
    RTP abomination
    Sydarm + scenario project VM-68 to be featured later.

Have we not tried this before (IPPA)? The tournament circuits do a good job at this I think. At least the PR portion. It is, after all, in their best interest...right?

The gun is 1/8" of a game that is a FOOT long!
    (...but a 'mag helps)
    I know I was born and I know that I'll die...the in between is mine. -Eddie Vedder
    Sinister Sainthood

My first reaction as a non-American is that it would be nice if they started first by defining themselves as a national organisation and not a world one.

Secondly, who are they and who appointed them?

Seems if it's to go anywhere or have any influence it needs to be started inside an existing paintball organisation. At least then you'd have ONE solid partner and backer.

But seeing as we've had the IPPA, NPPL, JUDGE, PRO, and many other defunct and limited influence organisations, how's this one different?

I mean the basic rule book for all tournaments still sucks. So the history of tournament leagues banding together speaks for itself and the "industry" can't even stick to agreements about ROF or band together against agressive marketing and patenting.

Time for a second reaction: Judging by the complete lack of interest in the thread generated on AO, I figure that about sums up the chances of this group having any influence ...

The dark side of Hell, FEAR THE "X", Rage Unchecked
    This would also go along way into getting PB into the olympics. I read somewhere that they need a world wide commitee to govern the sport for it to be considered an olympic sport.
    e·vis·cer·ate v. e·vis·cer·at·ed, e·vis·cer·at·ing, e·vis·cer·ates v. tr.
    To remove the entrails of; disembowel.

"You'll still blame your failure on tiny little balls that don't functon properly." Captain kRYSYS of team plank walkers

Harbingers of your dying breath

Black to Red X-mag
    Black ULE-mag
    Evolved Ironman Matrix
    Tri fade E-class Orracle
    Black to Green Splashed Species
    Black to Blue AIM Jam Intimidator

Originally posted by Blazingace
    This would also go along way into getting PB into the olympics. I read somewhere that they need a world wide commitee to govern the sport for it to be considered an olympic sport.
    Any worldwide comittee should be a child of the NPPL and Millenium series cooperation.

Sorry, but a tylenol gelcap traveling down a glorified sewer pipe is not going to be accurate.
    I know this is totaly OT, but did you realize that a tylenol gelcap would be more accurate than a paintball?

Hey Hitech your starting to sound like me! - AGD
    Hitech is the man.... - Blennidae
    The only Hitech Lubricant

Good idea in theory, but it will never fly. Someone will eventuaslly want to use it for personal reasons or some power base. It's why p-ball will never be mainstream. It's the way things have always been in p-ball.

Why not just let the U.N. run paintball?

it will never work. how about they drop it all and let me run it. it will be for the players not the.......... ok i am done.