Thread: Design and Concept Process. Extreme E-mag Milling

Design and Concept Process. Extreme E-mag Milling

OK Ladies and Gentlemen. Below you will find a series of images of the E-mag Extreme body. What I would like to do is involve everyone in the design and concept phase of developing some milling styles for it. What we are going to do is have a brain storming session. There are certain rules to this part of the D&C process.

1) Anyone can say anything they like about how they want it to look.

2) NO knocking anyones ideas. No flaming whatsoever.

3) Feed off everyone elses ideas. This is a team effort, it is not one persons idea. We will all be contributing to the final outcome.

Feel free to take the images and work them over in paint or photoshop or print and sketch on them what you think you would like to see a machined body look like. If someone has made an image, it is fine to take what they have done and then add more to it or modify it further. That's actually just what I want to see.

If anyone wants me to produce black and white line images I can do that also.

Disclaimer

There is no guarantee any of this will make production. I'm initially doing this to make something different.

You can have designs that require 5 axis machining capability.

This is not a competition, nor is there a prize. By posting images you give up any rights you had to the designs and are allowing me to use such images in the development of the machining programs.

I reserve the right to ask the mods to remove any posts which don't add constructively to the D&C process. Lets pretend we are engineers Keep it concise and to the point please!

It is a chance for you to show what you want on your E-mag Extremes of the future.

If wanted I could model up an Extreme Lightweight Fly... (ELF... makes your balls go further ) would anyone want to see that? I would be talking minimum material but keeping the valve covered... It would be very different to the SFL.

OK here are the images...

p.s. mods Don't ya think we have too many classic posts at the top of this forum?

Manike,
    I think your design is excellent. The design reminds me of an Angel, is this the dirrection that we wish to go? It looks really good, I believe the addition of a new style of milling, in order to make the production line/design unique, would be the best way to go. I am not artistic in any way, but I do appreciate and recognize an awesome piece of work when I see it. We should try to stay away from the flame and lightning style of milling, as these have been played out immensely. I must say that the work that I see in the above pics are indeed the start of what looks to me as something that I will want to buy in the future. Keep me in mind when you finalize the design and even think of going into production. I want to be one of the first.

"The BEAST"
    "No-Rise" E-mag
    Level 10 Bolt
    AGD Flatline 91cu in/4500psi
    Black HALO B

"Red Heatseeker"
    Red to Clear Fade Freak Factory Impulse
    68/4500psi Max-Flo
    Red HALO B

Thanks DarkPheonix, but the above design is what the standard extreme looks like at the moment (and is how they will look if you order a standard extreme from AGD), and was not my responsibility, what I am looking to do now is to take it to another level.

Do you guys want to see rounded designs or faceted? Rounded is easy with 3 axis maching, some faceted models can only be made by 5 axis machining (but may only be recognisable to a knowledgeable eye). Most guns claiming to have 5 axis machining could really be have been done with just 4 axis and/or 5 sided machining.

Real 5 axis maching (as done with flat endmills) can only be achieved one way, but I'm not sure if the difference will always be appreciated

manike

My preference would be to have a smoother look to the outline of the body. The milling can be either smooth or edgy, but must complement the design as a whole.

my suggestion is to do your ELF. Mill the hell out of it. Take off every piece of aluminum that isn't needed for structural integrity. You can also put a stainless sleeve in the chamber area if the aluminum is too weak, so as not to have a huge bulge in the chamber area. I for one don't care that much how my gun looks but I could do to shave off some weight, if I am going to drop the cash to buy a modular body. A personal request would be to mill a large skull in cross bones on both sides, and then anodize it in the glossiest black possible then put some type of coating on it so the anodization doesn't get chipped as easy.
    Death smiles on us all. The only thing we can do is smile back.

Heeheeheehee...ribbed (for someone's pleasure).

Oddly enough, I think the standard modular body in satin anno finishes is just dead-nuts sexy. It has a contour to it that's almost feminine (especially the sight rail). I'd say, taper the ends down to blend where the barrel and valve insert (so it's not squared off there...the Eclipse and Adrenaline Angels did this well up front) and "melt" the more noticeable edges, and do a satin royal blue or forest green anodizing.

My suggestions: Mill it down as much as humanly possible (I seem to be in agreement with slayer). Since no one really uses sights anymore, I'd suggest removing the sight rail entirely, or at least make that an option. I think the best idea would just to go and make it as light as you can, usually milling all excess weight off should leave a fairly streamlined design. Form follows function. My last thought is if you go through with this, don't call it the elf body or somethin, there are too many guns with initials in the names. Call it the Antigrav emag or maybe something allong those lines.

-Matt

"...And so we go on with our lives, we know the truth but prefer lies..." -NOFX, The Decline

***Micromag 2k***
    -------------------------
    Re-taped air valve
    BOA Snakebit barrel
    Revolution 12v
    Aci Bulldog 68ci. preset
    -------------------------

how about take off the sight rail, so the top is rounded. Then mill the sides strait down so the total width in not wider then the diamter of the top raidous so doesn't look so much like a triange from the back. mill the rear like the sfl, thats sweet.
    Last edited by ah137; 09-23-2001 at 01:37 PM.

Geiger "Alien" design

One design I have always wanted to get is the organic style seen in the Alien type movies. On an Angel or Extreme it would be striking to see some bone and muscle architecture. Another suggestion would be a totally functional milling with flat sides that are even all the way down for sighting, or even finger relief on the sides. Above all, it needs to be structurally sound, of coarse. For winning games, I would prefer a flat sided, lightened frame with a lot of thought going to ergonomics, something that is sorely lacking right now.
    Brent Jackson, PFB.
    I don't practice anymore: I'm just good in a natural, vicious sort of way.

Will you please tell your boobs to quit staring at my eyeballs?

Go faster stripes?

I think the HR geiger style idea is quite good too.

Or make it look like this Beretta 9000s
    SECKSI GUN!!!!1#'# ...cough...

I was bored at work, so.....

I made a few pix...

This one was the first one I drew. It's just a few concentric circles. I imagined it to have smooth, gradual gradients between the various circle 'trenches'...

This one is a simple 'interpolation' effect... when applied to the whole thing, it should look cool. This idea was taken from the 'Twister Tribal' and also from an F5 cocker I once saw.

Other variations could be a Stars and Stripes version or perhaps an angled stripes version.

This is my interpretation of the Giger-Mag mentioned earlier on the thread. Personally, I think this would be a GREAT idea. I doubt you'd get Gigers permission for it though.

This is my personal favourite. It's based on the Ripper design (http://www.cnc-machining.com/ripper/index.html) which I think looks awesome.

Manike, I'd love to see how these designs work out; I know you live just down the road from me so please let me know what happens... Cheers.

Also, I was looking forward to your Warpig report on Campaign. Will there be one?

Anyway, enjoy... possibly more to come.

Jan.

Just to top it off...

He's not the messiah! He's a very naughty boy!

I'll add my voice to the light weight version. Take off all the excess and I think you'll be left with a nice looking light mag body.

MUST HAVE GEIGER MAG. I said I wasn't a vain paintball player, that is true, but that would be artwork. Oooooooooooooh I like that idea.

im waiting to get a hold of a "DARK EMAG EXTREME". anyone have the number for warped. hahaha.

RT
    Save water... Drink Beer!!!!!

Ask and you shall receive!!!

One Dark Emag Extreme.

I really prefer the old style of dark angels. The new ones just dont do it for me. I still reckon that with the possible exception of the Ripper Angel, the Dark Angel LCD is the finest looking paintball gun ever made.

Enjoy.

Jan.

Restore Sight rail

Using a warp feed set up now clears the top of the gun so using a sight (red dot, whatever) is a viable option. I urge you not to mill the sight rail (it looks like the middle of the sight rail has been taken out) so that one could have the option of using any kind of sight (the different lengths of the mounts) and install the sight anywhere along the top.

In terms of milling, I prefer the angular milling done by Eclipse (ie Eclipse Bushmaster). How about enlarging the "slot" milling that you have on the rear, right of the body and duplicating it on the left side. I personally don't like the smaller, grove or teardrop milling because it's harder to clean and a bit too "busy" to look at.

ben_JD Guest
    I really like the look of the classic Automag. Take everything away that isn't functional and let it rip. There are enough after-market and after-manufacturer customizers that I think I should be able to get a "clean" looking marker from the factory. It doesn't have to look fancy, just work well.

I really like the milling done to the new Eclipse cocker.

How about basing the design from that on to the body...that'd look sweet.

great designs everyone....

keep the sight rail because you can now use it with these bodies.

i would like to see:
    -some sort of ripper milling
    -geiger body

how about a lightning bolt down each side of the body? i think that would look godd.

keep small grooves out of the designs. they are hard to clean and just turn into a hassle. you can keep it somewhat simple and still have a beautiful design.

Not contributing much, but...

Please keep the sight rail on. Yes, I'm one of those obscure ones, who would love to be able to sight as I'm shooting; meaning, just using the clear opening without the vert/power feed blocking the way to aim as I'm shooting. Won't actually be using one of those sight options - red dot, etc.

I'm also with Cha0tic on this one. You can still have a beautiful design while keeping it simple. To be honest, I love the stock look of my Rt Pro. I like the look of a basic Mag. The only reason I'm looking towards a Modular body is to lower my profile - even if just a little - and be able to sight with my marker.

Wonder how much this is going to cost me... Modular body... A Warp most likely...

Either way, looking forward to your final designs!
    Last edited by Arturus; 09-24-2001 at 02:24 PM.

Some good ideas. I'd stay away from the "Mill as much as possible" idea though, because then it would end up looking exactly like the tube the regular E-mag's are, except out of a softer metal.

-W

In my opinion ripper milled markers are esthetically the most pleasing. I guarantee who ever produces a Ripper Mag will be sold out for a long time to come. To get ideas for any ripper styles try White Wolf Airsmithing, theres a link in the painballguru.com site under the review section. The actual web address is giving me trouble. Another ripper website is mtnpaintball.com. If any one plans on making a ripper body add me to the waiting list.

Manlike,

it looks like you did the first drawings in some cad program.

if you did can you send me the file. i use autocad and would love to play with it.

its hard to figure out where to cut if you dont have the dim's

mailto:willk69@hotmail.com

from the judge in the WDP v Sp case.... " i find it significant that aside from a somewhat limited notebook produced by gaston, the four named inventors offer NO documentation of there work or there contributions to the conception or reduction to practice of the claimed invention"