Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: How to know you're an "Old School" player

And the interesting thing is there will be hundreds of people at the field who will insist that that 'Cocker couldn't possibly shoot as well as a "modern" 'Cocker.

I mean, it's side feed (whole milliseconds slower than centerfeed) it's got that huge back block (and we all know light weight is better for 'Cocker parts) it has a slider trigger (everyone knows 2-finger swings are faster) and it's not LP (so naturally, the ball won't go as far or as accurately.)

It also doesn't have Ripper milling, fade anno, a P-block, a RAT valve, an FGP reg or an Eclipse ram, so hey, it's gotta suck, right?

Doc.

Smile

and it doesnt have dye stickies so that means that it'll shoot straighter

Alternatively, if you've ever argued with a ref / field owner that no barrel bag in his pro shop fits on your PGP.

was this posted shortly after our trip to Tri-City Paintball?

alot of places are switching to "no plugs, bags only" they doesn't work to well on the old style PGP's...
    The Living Embodiment of Death

Originally posted by Skreemer

was this posted shortly after our trip to Tri-City Paintball?

alot of places are switching to "no plugs, bags only" they doesn't work to well on the old style PGP's...

Ha! I was told to "Keep it holstered" two weeks ago.

Better yet, when I shot the first round everyone stopped to ask "What the hell was that?"

--Having to explain that "Rock and Cock" isnt the dirtest thing ever said in paintball to a group of beavis and butthead laughing kids ...

Aaron

Originally posted by Big'n slo

Ha! I was told to "Keep it holstered" two weeks ago.

Better yet, when I shot the first round everyone stopped to ask "What the hell was that?"
    nothing like forgetting the "first shot low second shot will go through the guy" while on the field...

*bloop* AWW CRAP!! *runs like mad rock and cocks another in* *BOOM* opposing player: HOLY SH!!!!

for some reason though nothing beats the first time I was at an indoor field and ran out of paint in my cocker with a DYE 12" stainless barrel... *POP POP POP BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM* and watching half the newbies run away...

Splitting 200 balls and 4 co2's with your buddy because you were only going to play a few hours.

Colored Splatmasters via a can of spray paint.

Fixing a leaky quick change 12 gram by jamming a twig between the cap and the end of the powerlet.

OK, I haven't been in it as long as some, but

You're old school if you remember when the colored VL2000's started showing up at the field. "How the heck are you going to hide with that purple thing on your gun?"

... if you remember paying $90 for a case of Stinger (RP seconds) and thinking it was one heck of a deal. Also, knowing that case would last you and your 2 best friends at least a month.

... only one guy at the field shot nitrogen, and he brought his own bulk tank to the staging area every week.

... you still long for the throat protection the Vents Predator gave you (and that cool clip on the goggle strap).

... fields so big you could see the opposing team, but having a 20 minute walk until they're within range.

I remember when a 2500 round case of Nelson Red paintballs went from $125 to $119 and we were wild with joy. Each ball was less than 5 cents and we celebrated.
    Markers of Massacre
    AGD Minimag, Level 10, Lapco Bigshot
    MacDev Cyborg, 7 Piece MatchStik, 04 Conquest, 25g Trigger Mod CyborgOwner.com

I remember checking my chrono speed by how much bark flew off of the tree I was shooting at.

Have a first edition "Complete Guide to Paintball"

A Bushmaster started out as a pump gun.

First time I got lit up hard was done by an SMG-60

Have held and shot a Desert Duck (Terry Garrett's)

Have held and shot a LAPCO Grey Ghost (Terry Garrett's)

You know who Terry Garrett is and wonder what he's like in person (Exactly as he comes across online...very, very intelligent and VERY dry sense of humor)

Actually know of and look forward to meeting Steve Davidson. (met him last year...I think he's a little bemused that I'm such a fanboy)

The field you first played at is out of business, and has been for several years.

Get called a 'hoser' when you go through 20 balls in an hour

Wonder what's gone wrong with the universe when your Adrenalin Angel is scoffed at and called "old school".

Remember being intimidated when going up against a player with a L7 'mag. (still intimidated, too...dunno why)

Gotten into arguments on RSP

Gotten into arguments on RSP with Tyger

Remembers the huge "'mag vs. 'cocker" thread on RSP

*sigh* It's rough getting old...nearly 34 years on this earth.
    Last edited by Furby; 03-10-2004 at 09:54 PM.
    2k1 Adrenalin Angel, "Prototype #2"
    Host, FB Radio at 68caliber.com
    Certified Centerflag Products Tech
    IAPTE.com
    www.smartwebsolution.com
    http://furby.pbcproductions.com/DaleAngel.MPG

Making your own auto-trigger set-up

Having time to actually have little insects fly into your mouth while silently waiting for the opponent

Chilling your CO2 bottle until snow came out of it in order to get a better fill on your 7oz (and nobody though that was unsafe)

Having the burst disc of your seven ounce explode in a hot day (that was considered funny not dangerous)

Shooting my first gun (PMI Piranha Pump) over the chrono and getting 366 fps.

Being allowed on the field with this gun because it had no velocity adjustment so that was it.

Seeing a black and white picture of the All Americans on APG sporting their Phantoms with some weird little holes driled on their barrels.

Noticing there was a pretty beatiful blonde playing for the All A's

Building a PVC silencer for my PMI-III

Making my father drive me to the AGD factory in Wheeling to get a crown point barrel and a power-feed for my 3rd gun, a Mag!

Visiting Bad Boyz Toyz on the same day and seeing a lens from a JT sunglass that was shot by a 12 gauge shotgun on display on top of the counter.

Just some memories of a than 12 year old paintballer
    Black Proto Matrix
    CP On/Off and rail
    Smoke Halo B w/ Victory

www.paintballbrasil.com.br

Getting shot in the lip because your shop goggles didn't quite cover your face...

Getting shot in the lip because your woodstock mask didn't quite cover your face...

Scaring the hell out of people on the field because you owned not one but TWO Rapides...

Modifying your Splatmaster to hold a 40 round loader...

Using the 10 ball tube on your Nelspot 007 as a loader...

Paying $5.00 for ten rounds of paint...

Having those 10 rounds last an hour...

Your only choices in "jersies" was camo and camo...

Remembering thinking it was cool to wear combat boots to play paintball...

Knowing that a Nightmare was just that, a nightmare...

Playing in tournaments where they had a system in place that made it hard to cheat...

Remembering the day that CO2 came in something more than a "cartridge"...

Remembering the big deal over "Semi-Auto" and how it would "ruin paintball"...

Remembering when Bad Company played in camo...

Remembering when bunkers started using air...

Good lord, I've been in this sport too long...
    Bryan D. Gilchrist

www.68caliber.com
    www.iapte.com - Taking paintball events to the next level!

Planet Earth. More than that is debatable.
    The story of the 7 ouncers blowing reminded me :

"Double Disking"

Or pop cans, pennys, or whatever else we were told we could put in there.

How did we not all go blind or lose fingers?

-Tyger

Remember the BE Golden Eagle? Or 4oz steel tanks?

o the golden Eagle, I have dubbed it the gheto duck lol

What about that cool Baracuda ad where the guy is crossing a river with water up to his chest.

I've done that!
    Remember the first "harnessess", to hold tubes(10 round) or 12g powerlets?
    I had friends who would unscrew the top off the KP rifles tube where you put in the 12g, then they would pump the gun, which punctured the seal and sent the powerlet fly across the field.(never during a game).

Planet Earth. More than that is debatable.
    Originally posted by WARPED1
    (never during a game).
    Why not? It'd discourage wipers. "Dude! Those balls are hard!!!!"

-Tyg

Originally posted by Doc Nickel

Last but not least, the hydro on my very first HPA tank expired eight years ago.

Hydro ? Hummmmm.....

Originally posted by andreb
    Hydro ? Hummmmm.....
    What don't you understand?

Originally posted by Tyger

Why not? It'd discourage wipers. "Dude! Those balls are hard!!!!"

-Tyg
    Yeah, you can't wipe unconsciousness.

Originally posted by FallNAngel

What don't you understand?
    Just being sarcastic, as in "Hydro? What is that?"

Sorry if I was misunderstood

André

Maybe he thought you crazy Brazillians had a differen't name for hydroing?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I got you ALL beat

1. Being the first player at Skirmish USA to own his very own gun...PGP..the NEW model PGP, complete with ten (10) round magazine tube AND pump
    2. Playing with an UZI mark I and thinking it was pretty damn cool cause it had an integrated magazine that could hold 43 rounds
    3. Experiencing first hand one of the initial techno-cheats in the game: shimming your nelspot or pgp main spring with washers...
    4. Being on hand at the Bushmaster introduction frenzy - and thinking that pretty soon paintball guns would all just look like tubes (oh, sorry newbies - that's the Line SI (pre 1990) Sigma Machine PUMP action Bushmaster)
    5. Introducing the Gray Ghost to the East Coast and making players run away from the 'machine gun'
    6. Lobbying for and receiving a scoreboard at tournaments where EVERYONE could check scores - not just the tournament promoter and his pet team
    7. Lobbying for and receiving a formula (actually introducing the formula, but I'm so used to not getting credit these days I almost forgot it was me...) for game scheduling (far better than the old system of being able to change your team name in order to change your draw)
    8. Being called 'crazy' for carrying 120 rounds onto the field for one game
    9. Spending an entire tournament season beating up on semi-auto teams with pump guns
    10. Switching from pump to PMI-IIIs, because they were the only semi with decent range........
    11. Arguing with Tom Kaye about the introduction of nitrogen at the PaintCheck 5 Man - out of a sense of concern for safety (lost that one)
    12. Arguing with California teams against the introduction of CA (constant air) at tournaments (won THAT one for three years...)
    13. Managing to talk the field owner DOWN to $150 per case of paint so the home team could practice more
    14. captaining one of the first teams to ever play against an all-female team at a national event - and winning it (Lady Tree Dancers)
    15. Arguing the merits of feminist dialectic with (losing) female team who contended that since they were women, doing 'well' was just as good as 'winning' (think I won that one with the counter argument that in paintball, winning counts and losers go home - regardless of their sexual affiliations)
    16. Captaining a team that lost one of the first games ever to an all-female team (pump game, am open)
    17. manufactuing some of the first stick-feeds ever, the morning before a national tournament
    18. championing the tactical concept that no one needed to be left back to 'defend the flag station' and helping to establish the concept of 'run-n-gun'
    19. almost being arrested for 'looking like rambo'
    20. dismantling my patch jacket when patches were no longer the 'cool' alternate activity at tournaments
    (after having paid nearly 200 bucks to have a seamstress sew them on...)
    21. best old skool story? averaging 25 to 50 eliminations and surrenders per GAME, and having so many game flags that Skirmish USA offered me free play and paint if I would bring some of them back.......

Okay, I feel like a n00b now.

is that you Jim?

That would be Mr. Davidson.

"Mr Davidson" - the thought of that blew coffee out my nose. Hi Steve
    BTW the first upgrade to nellies was wadded up paper towels in the hammers

another one - having a pic of yourself with Bob Guernsy when you bought into the NSG franchise.

laughing yourself into a fit while reading above field owners manual - it had some market predictions and field owner tips in it and also an old paint order invoice in it.
    200 balls in tubes with caps - 65.00 dealer cost delivered

first game...

Played my first several games with an Uzi Mark I - it would load 1, 2, or three balls at a time and usually chop at least one. On a positive note, we forgot one in the woods all winter and found it the following summer and it still worked.
    Fly A4