Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How is your state?

How is your state?

Hey all
    My parents are planning to move, and i'm just curious how life is OUTSIDE california, for i have only been to Oregon and Las Vegas.

Tell me a little bit about your state's background, is it safe? peaceful?
    i saw this site, http://www.tolerance.org/maps/hate/index.html, that shows hate groups in states, and looks like all of the east U.S. has nothing but hate groups
    i find it very .... disturbing

my parents are strongly looking into texas, in fact they are going there on the 9th of april for a week to check it out

i would just like to hear about your home in general, and tell me how life is. good or bad and why

thanks

I do know the AO sig rules, I just want a free sig pic, that's all!

My Gun CollectionhAppy's Official B/S/T thread - Feedback

tipp city ohio- picture perfect town. no bad people whatsoever. anywhere else in ohio sucks.

ah screw it move to colorado. it kicks ***

Wisconsin is cool... if theres nothing going on, I usually go hang out with my friends at the local hardware store...

I have no life...

Northern NH. It's all very close friendly communities. You'll have plenty of privacy. Job market is crap. You live where people go on vacation. As far as hate groups go. I dont know of any. I love it up there. Not much to do, but I stay occupied.

*edit - They're puttin a home depot next to the walmart pretty soon. That's about 35 minutes away.

Originally posted by Bad_Dog
    if theres nothing going on, I usually go hang out with my friends at the local hardware store...
    SIZE]
    that was pretty funny haha

thanks for the input guys, keep it coming

Va isn't too bad.

The job market is so-so. In some areas of the state it's pretty good, in some areas it isn't. It really depends on what your parents do and what they want to make versus what they want to live on.

The cost of living is relatively low.

It's not too crowded. In some areas of the state is can be alittle compressed, but in the middle and western part, it's lots of open space. Very easy to stay private.

Hate groups? Well, supposedly we've got our share, but frankly, it's not a problem. Unless you are looking for trouble, you won't find it.

The schools are decent depending on where you are. In the eastern part of the state, I don't really know. In the western part between say Winchester or Harrisonburg, Wytheville, and maybe Danville the public schools are great. We have a few private schools if you really want that, but frankly, it's not a problem. High education is great here. We have some of the best schools around. University of Virginia is in Charlottesville. Virginia Tech is in Blacksburg. William and Mary is in Williamsburg. Richmond University is in Richmond(shocker, huh?). Washington and Lee University is in Lexington, as is Virginia Military Academy. We have alot of really good stuff here and three of our best, UVA, VT, and WM are public universities so the instate tuition is good.

The government is a little wierd. Like every state, we've been having budget problems. However, I dare say it will be a relief from California. Between the healthy agriculture and mining in the western part of the state, the ship building and Military in the eastern part of the state, and the fact that Washington DC might as well be in Virginia, it's good. Gas prices are comparatively low as well.

As far as things to do, Virginia is doing pretty good. We have both the G. Washington and T. Jefferson national forests which really are fantastic. We also have the Blue Ridge Parkway which if you live close to it(Western part of the state), it's a great place to just see the beauty of Virginia. The eastern seaboard is nice. Whether you want a nice day at the beach, or a fun night on the town you can find it. Paintball is big over in eastern Virginia. Between Norfolk/Newport news and Washington DC, there must be 3 dozen paintball fields and twice as many stores. It's amazing.

And in the western part of the state we have our share of fields, as well as stores.

Oh yea, I live here. So do ChucktheMAGician and Joshua Silverman. And theres a Buffalo Wild Wings here in Roanoke.

hey python, thats very informative

thank you VERY much

what you talkin bout...the south got southern hospitality...thats all that matters...who cares if we got power hungry, angry blacks, whites, yellows... we got southern friggin hospitality....biatch!

Texas. 'Nuff said.
    *Imagine a big flashy creative sig pic that either involves a cartoon, paintball player, some stupid internet movement or symbol with my name creatively tied into it because I'm too lazy to make one and if you don't like it, get over it!*

tell me something bout texas please

Texas is ok. Not the best but deffinately not the worst.

Safe- yes and no. ther are trouble cities and there are safe cities.

Peaceful- unfortunately no...but when you think about it no place is ever peaceful. We are more peacefull than other areas though. Just make sure you dont live in an area where guys wear white coens on their heads (actual city that has yet to be bombed outa existance in south east parts i believe)

Weather- Different every day (no lie). Usually warm/hot. when it gets cold it can get down to 30*F and thats about it. Have a few problems with polution durrring summers. =/

Schools- We have a few good schools. But msot of the better recognized high schools are Catholic private schools. Public schools are a mix of good and bad. Colleges are much better though!(just don't get into TELECOM! )

Fields- I have mapped it out and there are oh....about 5-7 fields under 20 miles from the dallas area.

Homes- land here can be cheap if you know where to look

Special catches- Ya'll does not make you sound stupid here (in fact if you don't say it people look at you funny). If you don't own at least a squirt gun, then you probably wont fit in.

And yes we do have hospitality, but don't take too much advantage of it... or else.

TEXAS
    Everybody should live in texas at least some part during their lives.

Liberalism is a persistent vegatative state.
    New York sucks.

But at least it ain't Jersey...

Last edited by FactsOfLife; 03-25-2004 at 05:33 AM.

Massachusetts is great. There's definetly a lot of history in this state (American Rev., Pilgrims, etc.). I'm not exactly sure how the job situation is going right now but I don't think it's bad. Romney has done a fairly good job at getting the economy back up and running. As for peaceful and safe I couldn't think of a better place to live. I live in a small suburb about 20 miles south of Boston and it's very peaceful (if at times a little boring ). As far as schools go, education here is great and there are definetly some very good colleges here to go to (Babson, U-Mass, Harvard, etc.). Anyway. If you want to know anything more specific drop me a PM.

Originally posted by FactsOfLife
    New York sucks.

But at least it ain't Jersey...

You had to go there!

Jersey rocks. We have the shore, AC, beautiful fields and farms (South Jersey).

Not only that, but Hillary Clinton is not our Senator!

Well wherever you go dont go to the Northeast basicly the country gets crappier the closer you get to the Northeast. I would say Texas is gonna be one of the best places to live as long as its east Texas where all the good fishin is. But what ever you do, DO NOT KILL anyone unless it is self defense or you atleast make it look like self defense if not then your gonna fry plain and simple.

"Tell me a little bit about your state's background, is it safe? peaceful? "

Ohio has a Michigan hate club.

I now live in NH. It is not bad, all and all. Good location, centered well in New England.

I lived in VT and hated it. It is great for outdoor activities, but sucks if you want to DO anything besides nature activities. Great place to visit and get away from the world, but sucks living there.

I have lived all over the US, and I have to say I prefer the south. I LOVED living in Oklahoma. Aside from the tornados, it is FANTASTIC. Me and my wife have often talked about moving back to OK or even Texas.

www.ShartleyCustoms.com
    Custom Paintball Products and Accessories
    CLICK HERE to Check out our PDU SERIES GEAR!

its more like a paper cut that has primadonna's yelling murder... - Glickman

ah screw it move to colorado. it kicks ***
    True statement. I can attest to this.

Originally posted by Rooster
    "Tell me a little bit about your state's background, is it safe? peaceful? "

Ohio has a Michigan hate club.
    hey guys you have all been a great help, rooster's input was very amusing haha

so in texas everyone should own a shotgun or something aye? my parents arent too for-guns

could texas cities be as bad as the ones in CA, we have LA, oakland, orange county, stuff like that, its all blacks and mexicans in those cities

CA is great, we got evertything for everyone.

thanks for even more help guys

Cities are cities. You will find the same types of things all over. Texas is great. Find a nice medium sized town and live on the outskirts. Be close enough to town and larger cities so that a quick drive will bring you to all the things you want, but you are far enough away from all the things you DON’T.

Also research where you wan to live… Texas is rather large and depending on where you are in TX will dictate what you will find.

That so called "Hate Map" is nothing but a bunch of liberal garbage. The liberals work harder to promote hate and disunity amoung the races than any group does. Any where you go there are going to be some people who do not get along. There is nothing worng with east coast. I suggest moving away from California and somewhere in the Midwest where American values and culture are still mostly untainted by liberal propagandists.
    It came to a point in my life when it was either pay the rent or buy paintball gear. I think I made the wise choice. If anyoneone needs me I'm livin in a van down by the river.

My Feedback:
    https://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=69554

Wow Im lookin at that hate map site, ridiculous.

"Salem
    Published on 06-23-2003
    A 12-year-old boy allegedly called an Arab youngster a terrorist and punched him in the face. "

This is listed on a "hate incident" list.

There are a whole pile of incidents that are probably worthless. These people blow stuff way out of proportion.

I've lived in New Jersey my whole life, and I have plenty of experience in "bad areas" and I've never had any problems. Newark, NJ is a pretty bad area but I lived there for a year at school and we used to walk all over and at odd hours and never had a problem.

Live where you want to live, not where some stupid website says for people to live.

Alabama is'nt a bad place to live. We're filthy with parks thanks to mountains. If your 'rents like golf we have some of the best courses in the world.

I live outside of Huntsville which is one of the wierder places. Huntsville is like a small colony inside the state. Between Redstone Arsenal, The Space and Rocket Center, a huge new Boeing Plant, and Intergraph we are choking with some of the brainiest and people out there from all over the planet, especially German scientists. Makes for some tasty German restaraunts. You get outside of Hunstville and the IQ drops a good bit until you get down to Birmingham. Birminham started off as a big industrail town before the depression, and is now a large medical and engineering place. It's also one of the most attractive cities I've been to. Some of the older parts of the city are amazing. I've also heard, bet never really experienced Mobile, in souther Alabama. It's a big party town, especially being a few hours from New Orleans, Mardi Gras bleeds into Mobile and it's celebrated big time there.

Crime really is'nt a big concern, at least not more than any other mid-sized southern city. As long as you don't look for it you won't have a problem. I'm sure hate crimes exist but I've never witnessed one myself.

The weather is usually pretty nice. It never gets really cold, and snow is almost nener seen. You mention the words snow and the panic around here is amazing. You could cut the letter S-N-O-W out of carboard and throw them on the ground and within 5 mintues all the bread and milk would be sold out within 25 miles. It does get a bit hot in mid-summer with some chewy-style humidity, but nothing too nasty. Currently it's 70 degrees and sunny. We have all the door open at work. It's supposed to hit 80 by Saturday. Paintball is nice around here. There are a few good fields depending on where you are. We have 3 the ACES, MSPA, and CFOA series as well as being pretty close to Mardi Gras Open and World Cup, within a 6 hour drive anyway.

Moorewatch

If you read this, thank a teacher.
    If you read this in English, thank a soldier.

Once you go east of Texas its all the same, ****ty weather, humidity, drab archetecture, drab women, all the women look like eskimos in the winter, cold water beaches, less mexican food, frumpy women, annoying accents, less hot women.

Originally posted by xXHavokXx
    Once you go east of Texas its all the same, ****ty weather, humidity, drab archetecture, drab women, all the women look like eskimos in the winter, cold water beaches, less mexican food, frumpy women, annoying accents, less hot women.
    I must disagree

Manike-It's still early days. One thing for sure is that the future is going to be interesting, and we intend to be a BIG part of it.

central new york is ok.

well, actually it sucks pretty badly. Weather sucks. Used to be a huge job market, but people (carrier and G&E ex) are moving out. its boring. At least there is paintball. Yea whatever you do dont move here.
    [img] Insert URL [/img] AO Feedback
    Email:Torbothebarbarian@hotmail.com
    Aim: Torbo3rb

come to Canada! the only real hate group we have is the one against americans

oops that was me ^ btw i was on my teammate's account

~Twisted Fate~

there is a reason its The Great State of Texas.

we dont have a state income tax, and that always makes parents happy. as was stated earlier, Texas is very large and because of that cities and such vary greatly. i live in a crappy part of east fort worth, but its not all that bad. i leave the house and usually dont bother locking my door. having a big ol rottweiler roaming the house helps with security though.

the dfw area is a great place to live. we have many lakes for fishing, boating, people watching. big arse malls, and many good paintball fields. the job situation is improving too, dalls and tarrant (fort worth) counties have some of the lowest unemployment rates in the state and the country.

come to Texas, you wont be sorry!!!!