Thread: Loctite Applications

Loctite Applications

http://www.loctite.com/int_henkel/loctite_us/index.cfm

The following is a list of loctite products and the applications for which they should be used.

271 (Red): High-Strength (permanent) - This loctite is to only be used on screws you don't ever plan on removing again. It requires 500F heat to melt it so the part can come loose, so use this product with caution.

Typical Applications: Set screws plugging holes; Vertical ASA bolt; Anything that is going together and never coming apart again

242 (Blue): Removable-Strength - This loctite is best used on any threaded part that you need to keep from coming loose, but want to remove it on occasion to clean it or install another component. It is removable with mechanical force.

Typical Applications: Drop-Forward set screws; other set screws that need to be removed

290 (Green): Wicking grade - This is used for parts that are pre-assembled and need to be locked in place.

Typical Applications: Trigger rod; Solenoid plunger rod

Thread Sealants:

545 (Purple): This is a thread sealant, not a thread-locker like the above products. This is to be used on airline fittings that need a sealant to keep them from leaking. Allow 24hrs to fully cure.

Typical Applications: Air line fittings

592 PST (White Paste): This is the best substitute for teflon tape. It's a paste with teflon that does not dry and is better than teflon tape because it won't tear and send strands of tape into your gun and possibly cause problems.

Typical Applications: Air line fittings
    Last edited by Bunny; 05-30-2014 at 09:43 AM.

Very helpful! thanks.
    This should be a sticky....

thanks man now i know what i should use on my Omega foregrip that keeps comein lose
    Euro E-mag | TL63 | XMOD| EM01610
    Euro Rt | OG | RT02382.

How about rescources, like where to buy the stuff, because I've had a tough time finding the rarer blends locally.

And a related question: does anyone know how strong the green sleeve retainer compound is? Like if
    I use it on a bearing that's a nice slip fit will it glue the bearing in place like, really good?

Thumbs up

Good stuff, man!

Great post

Team Sandbaggers.
    -We own j00 all.-

Awesome post! Glad to see it went up

PBN Feedback AO Feedback eBay Feedback

DIRTY ROTTEN SCOUNDRELS (Rob Kenny and Matt Bradley) LIVE @ www.djinnuendo.com TUES 2/8 - 8 to 10PM

For all ya old school liquid loctite users for sealing...
    Loctite is now available in solid sticks!

http://content.loctite.com/sticks/

This takes all of the hassle away from using loctite!

Thank you BlackVCG. Extremely helpful informatin.
    "LoadSM5: I smells funny"
    Load SM5 Fan Club
    Member #2
    Vice-President

My Webpage
    Feedback

I am a huge fan of 545 for air fittings. Just one tiny bead around the bottom of the fitting has effectively sealed every fitting I've ever used it on. Just remember to let it cure for 24 hours before running air through it (so it's not the best for emergency repairs).

592 isn't really rated for paintball pressures... it's max is supposedly around 300psi.
    Last edited by krafty; 04-20-2004 at 04:36 PM.

just so u guys kno...if u need to remove something that has been red loctited its not impossible....

i bought a maxflo and it came with a steel hose quick disconnect instead of a macro fitting...no problem except it was in with red loctite...a small blowtorch, monkey wrench, vice, and 5 min and a little bit of teufelhunden's craziness and we had it off no problem

Brian Lojeck

I'd suggest never using red loctite on a gun, even on parts that will NEVER EVER EVER be taken apart.

1: blue does a damn fine job, and won't work loose on it's own
    2: even if you know for a god-blessed fact that you will NEVER take a part off, you'll take it off one day.
    Brian Lojeck, brian@lojeck.com
    Webmaster: http://www.WhatBrianThinksAboutLasVegas.com
    Classic Automag #CF00455, ULE RT Pro #VV05456
    Feedback

This Rocks!

THANK YOU!!

I have been playing paintball for over 10 years, some time ago I had a little cheat sheet but had forgot it all as it was lost about 5 years ago and I have been needing this kind of info for some time now!

THANK YOU!

I have a questions about loctite 243. Its labled as "medium strength/oil resistant". This is all I could find in my little town while I Was trying to find some 242. Is this going to cause any problems with my marker, or will it be fine, or even better than 242? Thanks in advance

After buying a freak barrel that was RED Locktited together! I have come to the conclusion that an IQ test should be given before it is sold to the public.

i cant see the loctite on the screws but what color is it and how hot do i need to heat to get my screws off the front frame bracket of my rt ule custom?
    rt ule custom, boomstick, ult,apoc2k and x board revi, i want:j&j ceramic.

Exclamation purple loctite

i don't know about the USA but here in canada purple loctite is "low strength" for set screws not a sealant for airlines

There are, or at least used to be 2 purple Loctites. The thread locker is 222 or something like that and says thread locking. It's a low strength formula.

Eric

Quote Originally Posted by Mer
    There are, or at least used to be 2 purple Loctites. The thread locker is 222 or something like that and says thread locking. It's a low strength formula.

Eric
    222 Threadlocker Low Strength/Small Screw

Low strength threadlocker. Designed for precision metal fasteners under 3/4". Protects threads from rust and corrosion. Removable with hand tools. Available Worldwide

Applications
    Set screws, adjustment screws, calibration screws, meters, gauges.

Color Purple (standard hand tools to diassemble)

545 Thread Sealant Hydraulic/Pneumatic Sealant

A liquid sealant for locking and sealing high pressure, fluid power systems with tapered fittings. Contains no fillers and will not foul valves or fluid filtering systems.

Applications
    Used to lock and seal hydraulic and pneumatic fittings, servomechanisms, and fine-filtration systems. Specially formulated to offer lubricity for easy assembly.

Color Purple (standard hand tools to disassemble)

How long does blue 242 need to dry on a fitting before I can run air through my gun?
    MM19223 -=Minimag=-
    [Level-10]&[ULT]
    -Self Polished Body
    -Intelliframe nickel
    -Lapco SS 12 inch
    -KAPP Chrome gas thru-grip
    -32* Flame Drop Chrome
    -Black Macro
    -47ci 3000psi Crossfire tank
    My minimag-link working

email: dr975@yahoo.com
    aim SN: drx975

About 24 hours.

Quote Originally Posted by drx975
    How long does blue 242 need to dry on a fitting before I can run air through my gun?

I just got off the phone with Loctite Technical.

If you are using stainless or chrome fittings into a stainless hole (like a classic Mag valve or high end nitro tank reg) MOST loctite will not set properly and will most likely leak. They recommend using #7649 primer to help the sealant set properly.

I normally use 545 but when I tried to change fill nipples in my tank it would leak every time because both sides are stainless which Loctite explained is non-reactive to the sealant and since there is air trapped inside the tank it will not cure ( loctite cures in the ABSENCE of air ).

I am going to get some primer and try it.....

ANYTHING BUT TEFLON TAPE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by trains are bad
    How about rescources, like where to buy the stuff, because I've had a tough time finding the rarer blends locally.
    Loctite Tech 1-800-562-8483

Loctite Tech told me that Loctite is only carried by industrial distributors, never retail.

He recommends either:

Grainger
    McMaster Carr
    Fastenall

I use Grainger because they have a local branch and you can walk in and get it.

I am trying to change the reg on a tank, it wont come off i think it is loc but how doed one get the reg off

*if this is in the wrong form let me know
    its all about the angles and blind spots... not the marker nor the player.

I use Loctite Blue on air fittings. Works wonders. It's easy to apply, and almost totally bulletproof.

White

just found it on Amazon

Update: I hate Teflon tape so I tried to use the White Loctite to install some CCM air fittings. It only worked on 1/6 fittings. I called CCM for help, but I'm still have a really difficult time getting the CMM air fittings to be leak free. The hiss is driving me crazy, but doesn't really detract from air efficiency, or performance.

545 (Purple): This is a thread sealant, not a thread-locker like the above products. This is to be used on airline fittings that need a sealant to keep them from leaking. Allow 24hrs to fully cure.

Wish I'd of read this part. I waited 12 hours or so for overnight. Will try it again after cleaning it out. It spit out a bit at the ASA where it leaked from an some tiny purple bubble at the valve. Ah well, I 'll do it later tonight and then will be gone all weekend and try again Monday.

i don't know if it's old technology or not. but i recently discovered loctite thread sealant sticks. it sets super fast. no more teflon tape for me. and no more waiting overnight for liquid loctite to dry. i'm going to try the blue loctite stick on some feednecks next.

Does anyone have any experience combining Blue loctite (242) with Purple loctite (545) when installing macroline fittings? I will be installing CCM macroline fittings into my valve and ASA in a coupe days, and I was thinking about putting a drop of both blue and purple loctite on the threads? The purple as a sealant and the blue as further sealant and also to help hold the threads in place. Any thoughts or experience?

P.S. I was thinking of putting one drop of blue loctite near the tip of the fitting and then one drop of purple just behind the blue drop, not actually physically mixing the two loctites.