Thread: Mac pop blocker????

Mac pop blocker????

Does any one know of a good pop blocker that is compatable with OSX.

I reacently upgraded my old iMac, I got it back in 99-00 ish, it was one of the origional iMac's with the tray loading cd slot that pops out. I had a copy of OSX lying around that I installed, but it was 10.1.3, so it is kind of out dated. In a few weeks I plan on getting 10.3 Panther.

Basically though I have a cable connection. Sometimes when I get on the Internet with the mac, the pop ups set off a chain reaction of windows that can't be closed as fast as they are comming up.

Any sudgestions for any kind of sowtware as long as it is free or downloadable. I refuse to pay someone $29.95 for any pop blocking software when they all basically work the same.

Those are not "pop ups" as I know them to be. Your OS is lagging and then all the sudden catching up. Sticky key or something even. Are you certain the thing can handle OSX? I had an early iMac that could not. Not enough Ram.

AGD, where we are so good we can do it with only ONE tube!

cphilip.com

Nah, I just put a 60 Gig HD in it and a new 256 RAM chip, which makes a world of difference compared to the 64 that was in there.

I am talking about on the internet. Since I have a fast connection the pop up comes up and loads in a split second. I change the window over to the pop up (I dont have any problems with the computers performance, it switches right over in an instance.) and click to close it which more than often takes care of things. Sometimes thought when you close a pop up another comes up for something else, then you close that and up come another. At times I have to close the whole group and re open a new explorer page.

when you find one please tell me so i can get it. Even though i don't need it i want to be safe.

my suggestion would be .mac if you have it, it has loads of free downloads
    swanster
    STORM UK

sponsored by:
    Empire
    NPS
    Diablo
    AGD Europe
    Air America Europe
    MPM

www.stormpaintballteam.com

From Safari help menu:

Some webpages display pop-up windows when you open or close the page. For example, a webpage might use a pop-up window to request login information from you or display advertising. You can block these pop-up windows.

Blocking pop-up windows stops only pop-up windows that open when you open or close a page. It does not block pop-up windows that open when you click a link.

To block pop-up windows, choose Block Pop-up Windows from the Safari menu so that a checkmark appears next to it.
    ---------------------
    You can also choose Preferences from the Safari menu and click Security. Then click to select the "Block pop-up windows" checkbox.
    If you block pop-up windows, you might miss important information for a webpage.
    "I've always said that Pixar is the most technically advanced creative company; Apple is the most creatively advanced technical company"
    -Apple CEO, Steve Jobs

http://www.fortune.com/fortune/technology/articles/0,15114,1025098,00.html - Apple CEO
    http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1572017,00.asp - Adobe CEO

Apples web browser Safari has a built in pop-up blocker.

All right, now it makes since, I am currently using OSX 10.1.5 which is a few years old. Right now I am using Internet Explorer as my main web browser. I did a search at Apple's web site and found a download for Safari. It only works for OSX 10.2 and higher, so when I get OSX 10.3 Panther here in a week or two my problem should be solved...

Thanks for the help...

Quote Originally Posted by Ginjiroku
    Apples web browser Safari has a built in pop-up blocker.
    yep...im using it right now...it works like a charm

Camino does too... that's what I use most of the time.

sixx
    Henry
    Storm: Naughty
    Paint Storm - Empire - Evil

You could also try using Mozilla Firefox. It's very similar to Safari and I use both depending on what i'm doing.