Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Would you Save the Industry if it Cost you a MILLION BUCKS?

Would you Save the Industry if it Cost you a MILLION BUCKS?

AO,

I want to ask a simple question. If there was an 80% chance of you saving the industry, but it was guaranteed to cost you a million bucks, would you do it?

Of course this is only hypothetical and has nothing to do with the SP stuff at hand. Any references to SP will be deleted without notice.

So I put it to you, I expect intelligent answers.

Thanks for the help,

AGD

if i had more than a million bucks.

Props to echo419 for the sig

If it was an 80% chance of saving the industry, Id have to take it, even if it did cost a million.

yeah, if i could afford it and still stay afloat i most likely would.

If you would be able to keep prices the same on products, and be able to afford that million, then i would have to say yes.

No. Save yourself. They WANT you to pay them the million.

Yes I would. Hands down for me. I'd do it because if you put it down you save the industry, then your company can still be around. Yeah that money loss could possibly lead to the end of your business or whatever, but if you didn't put that money down to begin with you wouldn't have had a chance to begin with since the industry be gone. So for me, I'd rather at least put up a fight to stay and save the industry then just to quit in the beginning.
    Silver ULE X Valved Mag
    Spyder AMG Classic
    ------------------------

Lots FS/FT! Barrels, pack, hopper and more! Click Here!

If I had a million and.....

If saving the industry would return my investment 100% and..

If I was real sure about the 80%......

I would probably take the risk......

Risk of losing my money and my wife.....

One of which I would miss very much.....

Jay.
    Logic Paintball Forums
    My A O Feedback Here
    Other Feedback Here
    If I've Been Any help
    Please Leave Some.

Yeah, but would you rather lose a million bucks and be remembered as the man who saved the industry, or be remembered as the man to greedy to save it?

Depends on how much a million bucks was to me. Bill Gates' 1 million dollars = Bulldog's 5 dollars. So It's a relative question I guess.

Originally posted by cockermongol
    Guess who didn't read the 1st post properly

To answer IF someone was in the position to have a $1,000,000 then the rewards further along will repay that "investment". It is said that the 1st 1,000,000 is the hardest to earn the rest comes easy so again "if" anyone had that amount of disposable income then it's a sound commercial venture. There aren't going to be many if any on these forums who have that kind of money, especially with the average age of the posters, there are exceptions but...

lets see it in a different light...
    1 million dollars to save a sport played by 8 million people. Semms worth it

I think it really has to do with how much you love the industry, and how long you want to stay in the business of paintball. If it is your life, and you couldn't see yourself in any other business, i could see your justifying the money spent. Also if you aren't going to be in the business long enough to make the money back, there's no point.

I would say yes because of the way I feel when I play. I would say yes because there is so much left for paintball to accomplish. I would say yes becasue there are more than a million people who play and they count on you and other compaines to provide them with the necessary equipment to play the game. I would say yes because in life there is more than money, I don't care how much.
    There is a point where you have to ask yourself, is doing what I do worth the money? If it is then by all means think of the million dollars as money invested back into paintball. If not then... do what you must.

Breg
    Giant flying dogs are gonna give you a flame-thrower enema!!!

SUPPORT YOUR TROOPS!!!!!!!!

Chuff!!! Chuff!!!

ABQHC

according to HBO...its the first 20million thats the hardest.

I would hold strong with the stance that you have a firm ground in other markets... and that although one door may be closed, it may open up an entirely different door.

I look at it this way, if 1 million will only have an 80% chance of success I would look at how it would affect myself on both sides.

Say the money would save the industry but I am going to go thru hard times an possibly put myself into finacial problems. I would think against it.

If it would rebound the industry and in turn help me out and be able see a return and profit from the risk, I would do it.

Finally, that 20% chance of failure. I honestly would have say if it came to sink or swim I would make sure I can swim. I care for the industry but also need to worry about my well being too. The industry could fold and I would still be ahead, and possibly invest into other ventures.
    My drinking team has a paintball problem.
    My Feedback

One question: in this hypothetical situation does the owner happen to have a family?

Simple answer. Yes

From this laymans eyes the Paintball industry is worth WAY more than a minor mill. But then again that assumes that I would have a Mill to toss around. But if I did, knowing my eccentric bastard arse, I would be all over it.

AFTICA 4 Life! the low rent (unsponsored) AGD team at IAO
    Team Sandbaggers: 2k4 Texball Champs of the world!

SFL Emag
    RTP abomination
    Sydarm + scenario project VM-68 to be featured later.

No I would not "save" the paintball industry.

I think Ive said it before but I been out of work along long time. I worked part time to finish college. My point being...

I belive paintball and the world for that matter do not need saving. The world for the most part gets by on faith and good will. There are selfish people in the world like Microsoft but why should we buy Microsoft Products. People like Bill Gates do not need the money.

Seems like Paintball is having a bad year. Fact is the matter alot of people are out of work and having a bad year while other people are driving the most expensive cars there are.

I Played Paintball 10 years ago for the first time and it sucked. This year I got my first gun and thanks to you a warp feed. Paintball for me is better than ever. Now my gun shoots more than one ball, without breaking and without pumping. Walmart sells paint for $10 and up.

A monk told me we really need very little in life and its true. People ask me how I get by. People get by with faith. When you get up you eat, wash your cloths and clean your house. Day by day you get by.

At the very least for paintball, you need some ground, a mask, a gun, some friends and some paintballs. People will always play paintball. It doesnt need saving. Alls it needs is cheap paintballs and all day air.

Under better conditions you have bunkers, Gun upgrades and some insurance but you dont need all these things.

So thats the answer to If It cost me a million dollars, NO.

Now I would say to the answer, what if it would cost Tom Kaye 1 Million dollars. I would say first and foremost invest that in your buissiness and deversify. Tom Kaye is worth a Million DOllars more than the Paintball Industry. Dont spend the million dollars on One thing, Like one gun or one field.

If you had a CNC machine and good engineering skills. You can do alot more than make paintball guns. In a CNC shop you could make engines, motorcycles, or medical supplies. You could probably make lots and lots of things. If I was Tom Kaye and I only had a million Dollars to spend and I wanted to do something with it. I would invest it as well I could and than I would have more than One Million Dollars. It seems like Tom Kaye could use a bigger warehouse, some computers and some CNC machines.

If you want a buisiness seperate from AGD. Do that and create Manufacturing company to supply AGD and other companies. With America not being able to manufacture so little today it would seem good to own a manufacturing company.

The last thing I would do is try and spend 1 Million dollars on one thing to try and "save" paintball.

If Bill Adams had a Million Dollars, he would open a Internet cafe. Maybe a big one.
    All your farm animals are belong to us.

It depends, if the cause is paying someone off to buy a company than yeah, if to apeese collective minds no way. Dont give in to the man. The government dosent need 1,000,000,000 from a lowley paintball mind just to stop them from making paintballs a gov. produced commodity.
    DAMN THE MAN! SAVE THE EMPIRE!!!
    --------(S.P.)---------(AGD)
    classic "steel monstrosity"
    GWAR Slave #1501
    (UN)Official AO Prankster

an easy yes. well sorta.

I think were discussing the paintball industry.

If you DONT do it. Then through some act of god the industry bombs so does your company and theirfore you lose any chance of making a profit.

If you do it, then you have an 80% chance of saving the industry. This would allow you to make money.

The problem lies is can you afford option two. If you can afford option 2 and come out the other side maintaining prices at the same as before and continue to seel then go for it.

But what if someone else can do something that has a 90% chance of success. Then all your effort would be for nothing because he has the better option
    Quote Originally Posted by Rooster
    By a great percentage they are uneducated, religiously fanatical, and completely and hopelessly ignorant.
    Rooster refering to himself and the christian conservatives?

Yes, I would. Partly because I feel that, were it to become known you spent that $1M with that sole purpose, you would quickly find the sport itself rallying to get you it back. But even if I didn't ever get it back, I would, because I love the sport and don't want it to die.

Minimag with X-valve #VV02908
    Palmer Pursuit Custom Brass Barrel // J&J Ceramic // Dye Aluminum
    Intelliframe and Warp Feed

Well, this is difficult for several reasons. First of all, it is not worth a million dollars to me, because, for me, a million dollars represents about 10 years of work. Paintball is fun, but not that fun.

However, if I was president of a company that had such resources available, you better believe I would. I refuse to believe it is up to one company to shoulder the burden, however. There are at least 10 manufacturers of paintball markers. Thats what, $100,000 a piece? Still a lot, but not to insure the long-term viability of the industry.

Frankly, I'm just plain confused at the question. The only thing I could see costing a million dollars and having a %80 chance of success would be lengthy litigation. That, or purchasing the rights to manufacture a particular product, with a resulting %80 chance that people will pay the increased costs for their paintball equipment.

It is very hard to answer a question like that without understanding the underlying circumstances.

A site for gay and alternative lifestyles: www.zakvetter.com

Like most of the others I would only do it if I had a few other Million laying around. I wouldn't give up my only Million and go back to work unless there was a guarantee I'd get it back pretty quick
    Feedback from: AO,PBN

think of it this way.

If you did, you have a 80% chance of gaining that money back and eventually start taking in profit again. Which would make it worth while, just have to get through the hard parts first.

If you didnt the industry would fall and there would be no source of revenue, but you wouldnt be out a million dollars

It's all a thing of believing the thing your trying to save is worth saving with a risk involved.

it's all a game of money

Unless this is sort of a "wink wink, nudge nudge, we're NOT talking about a certain company, hehe" then we are operating in a total vacuum. How can we POSSIBLY answer a question like that with so little to go on.

think of it this way.

If you did, you have a 80% chance of gaining that money back and eventually start taking in profit again. Which would make it worth while, just have to get through the hard parts first.

If you didnt the industry would fall and there would be no source of revenue, but you wouldnt be out a million dollars

It's all a thing of believing the thing your trying to save is worth saving with a risk involved.

it's all a game of money

I think what I am about to say many others will agree with... If it can and/or will result in the ruination of one man and his company and loved ones then no... Nothing is worth the security of you and your loved ones... Now if I was a billionare... I will most definately give up the 1 million... if I was a man that wasn't rich... lets say a man owned a buisness... not filthy rich but well off then no... I would not risk the security of me and my family and loved ones.. even employees, for the industry. Nothing not even paintball is worth the ruination of a man...

I would do it, but it all depnends on the money situation. If it would bankrupt you, obviously no. But if it sets you back alot but you could recover from it no problem or in a few weeks, it may be worth it. (if paintball mags and forums all over are praising you about being a good guy, heck think of it as advertising)