Thread: Long Nose Bolt

HyperSnyper Guest

Question Long Nose Bolt

Hello again
    yes its me again, Mr Q/Needs an A. I need the real 411 on the Long Nose bolt. I know they are designed to reduce blowback. But have always wondered how to tell whats long nose and what isnt.

I called AGD's Tech line for some answers but it didnt seem to help. I forgot who I talked to, but he said the main difference between the Long nose and the regular bolt is that the long nose has the "nose" or contact point of the bolt more shrouded within the bolt's tube. He said from far, the two will look alike, but if seen from upclose sideways, the regular bolts nose will protrude, while the long nose will be hidden (which is why he claimed they should actually be called "long neck" bolts.

AGD? Moderators? Comments? This came to my attention because My Micromag and my friends Minimag have the exact same bolt, no differences at all (other than his being more worn). The tech also said dont wory about it, the long nose was developed mainly for the center feeds to reduce blowback and increade feedrate. He claimed it has almost no effect on powerfeed mags? Is this true, or does it increase performance on ALL Mag designs? Is there a bolt exchange policy? Let me know. Hyper

the one on the left is the long nose bolt same overall
    length just a longer sleeve

some field in NoVA with a ton of pods ready to be dumped
    How old is your Mag? I think AGD has been producing these stock in Automags for more than a year already so depending on how old your Mag is, you might already have one.

HyperSnyper Guest
    The one I have is the one in the middle, both mine and my friends "contact area protrudes. Dammit, I got a shorty nose? Anyone know if the long nose helps with powerfeed? Is there a bolt exchange policy? Lemme know. Thx. Hyper

Smile Up

I too would like to know if it would affect the performance of a PF Mag. Also, is AGD doing a bolt swap? If what FeelTheRT says is true (AGD putting them on Mags stock) would that not constitute Level 7 Maintenace? Either way, good or bad, I'd like to know to kill my curiosity.

Thanks,
    David M. Jones
    SPPLAT #1001321
    Loyal AGD Customer For Life
    "I love my Mag more than my girlfriend - is that wrong?"
    "In case you haven't heard you can run your mag over with your car and it will still work" - TK

I cannot tell any difference on a Power Feed Mag. Except I seem to eat a few more barrel nubbins with the long nosed bolt. For that reason I prefer the short nose one on my PF Mags. But thats just me.

AGD, where we are so good we can do it with only ONE tube!

cphilip.com

The extended casing just controls the air flow and makes sure most of it goes down the barrel instead being able to come down the bolt and then blow out the sides of the ports, thus causing blowback. It was developed to make the centerfeed E-Mags and RT-Pros shoot with a reasonable rate of fire and not have so much blowback that they chop. No, there is no bolt exchange program because this really isn't an improvement for all AGD guns. Just standard and centerfeed. All centerfeed guns should have the bolt and all standard feed guns built within the last year should have this bolt. It is now put on all new Mags because it's cheaper to make just one version of the foamieless bolt. It does not affect the performance of the PF Mag in any way. Yes, they are harder on nubbins, so if you have the older style bolt and it's still in good condition, I would advise keeping that bolt in the gun. The new plastic nubbins should solve the breaking nubbin issue.

I prefer the long nose only cause it eliminates a potential problem, and I've yet to have an issue with breaking nubbins.
    Mike Smith

w00t

some field in NoVA with a ton of pods ready to be dumped
    well, lets just put it htis way, if you have a Powerfeed; who give what bolt you have??

Edited: I just thought of something. Since PF works with the blowback air pushing it up and ricocheting from teh top of the PF, wouldn't it feed faster with a short bolt because there is more air pushing it and ricocheting harder therefore feeding down faster?

HyperSnyper Guest
    So basically a shorter head bolt is better for PF's cause blowback is needed to "bounce" the ball off the power feed and ricochet it back into the breech? Would it hurt if there was a long nose in there? No ricochet effect? I always thought less blowback meant more air blown against the ball and more efficiency. Guys lemme know. AGD?

Also what suppose to feed faster? PF's or Center? I read that Centerfeeds were made to create equal angle on ball feeding when the gun is tilted in either direction.

I use to have the idea that Centerfeeds must feed faster since it is the standard now all almost ALL electro guns. Lemme know all.

-Hyper

Originally posted by HyperSnyper
    So basically a shorter head bolt is better for PF's cause blowback is needed to "bounce" the ball off the power feed and ricochet it back into the breech? Would it hurt if there was a long nose in there? No ricochet effect? I always thought less blowback meant more air blown against the ball and more efficiency. Guys lemme know. AGD?
    -Hyper
    No one said the shorter one is better. Just the nubbin thing might be an issue and if so then maybe better in only that respect. "Less blow back" does not mean "no blow back". There seems to be enough blow back in the Long Nosed to still allow the PF to work the way its supposed to. But a little less than with the short nosed to help the standard feed work better. So its just the nubbin clearance that becomes the issue. If its an issue at all for you.

Centerfeed is probably feed marginally faster but... it's not like you'll notice a difference.

Using centerfeed is all about a preference of balance and profile.

I asked this same thing because I have both bolts. I was told that you wont really notice a diffrence in the long nose, just that it helps with chopping. If it dosnt get the blowback, the powerfeed plug is designed to direct it into the feed tube, so not enough blowback is no big deal.

ENDO!
    Oldskool