Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Flatline Reg. Maintenance.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Flatline Reg. Maintenance.

For those of you that own an AGD Flatline HPA system, you might wonder if there's anything you need to do to maintain your system or how to repair leaks. The system is quite simple. Very similar in design to the Automag regulator, there's only a few o-rings you need to keep oiled and clean.

The first step in disassembly is to make sure the system is completely degassed. Once the tank is drained, take the tank off the gun. Next, you'll need to take off the cradle. To do so, you'll need a 1/8" hex key and a small cresent wrench or even a pair of pliers. Clamp the flat nut and unscrew the screws that hold the stainless band clamp to the drop forward arm. Once these are both off, the clamp will spread out and you can pull out the drop arm. Spread out the clamp just a bit and slide it over the front of the reg. and set it off to the side with your other parts. Now, you can unscrew the reg. body.

Here's the reg. body. You'll see the reg. body o-ring and the reg. seat o-ring. There's no line up issue with the reg. seat as in the AIR valve, since it's just an o-ring in the Flatline.

The next thing to do is disassemble the reg. internals.

Unscrewing the lock nut and then the output pressure adjusting nut will allow you to pull out these parts. They are shown in the order that they are assembled. With the piston (silver cylinder with stem) being the last thing you pull out. The spring pack should have a bit of grease on it. Just enough to keep it sealed from moisture and rusting. The grease does not lubricate or make the spring pack move smoother in any way. Therefore, it doesn't matter what grease you use on it. Just some kind of grease that will stay where you put it. The piston should be wiped off and oiled with a quality paintball oil. Clean off the smooth surface that the piston o-ring seals on inside the reg. body with a q-tip. Clean out the reg. seat pocket on the outside of the reg. body.

Next, reassemble the parts as shown. Make sure the spring pack goes in the way it came out. The end with the flat washer goes towards the piston. You can see in the pic that the black end facing the piston is slightly larger in diameter than the other end. This is the way it goes back together. I personally use a bit of anti-seize compound on the output pressure adjusting nut to lubricate the threads and keep the aluminum threads in the reg. body from wearing due to the stainless steel threads on the adjusting nut.

Tighten the adjusting nut just a bit past the point that it starts to build tension. This should be enough to get the system to gas up. You'll still have to dial in your desired output when you refill the tank and gas up your gun. Always make sure to work up to the desired pressure.

Oil the reg. seat o-ring and make sure it's clean. If you need a replacement, use the on/off top o-ring in an RT Parts Kit, or call AGD for some. Do NOT use a teflon o-ring out of the Mag parts kit. It won't seal properly. Put the o-ring back on as shown in the above pic. Oil the reg. body o-ring and screw the reg. body back onto the tank. Make sure it's completely tightened by hand.

Now it's time to put the cradle back on. Not exactly a simple task, but if you use the proper tools, it will go on without a problem. What I personally do is slide the clamp back on and then place the drop arm in its place. Next, I put one screw through the clamp, the drop arm and out the other side. I then take a small cresent wrench and tighten it on both sides of the clamp towards the back. This tightens the clamp enough that I can put the nut on the screw and tighten it up using my hex key and a pair of pliers. Now, I loosen the cresent wrench and the clamp doesn't expand since the front screw is tight. The next screw goes right in and and the nut can be started on the screw by hand and then tightened up. Make sure you get the screws snug so the drop arm can't move like it will if the screws are too loose.

Mount the system back on the gun and gas it up. Listen for leaks and check the output pressure. Dial it in to where you want it and cycle the gun a few times to make sure all the o-rings are set in.

If you experience erratic ouput, or creeping of the output pressure(meaning the output pressure does not stay the same from where you last set it), you need to replace the reg. seat o-ring. If the system isn't flowing properly, make sure the output is around 600-800psi(Mags), check for debris near the reg. seat o-ring and make sure the piston o-ring is clean and oiled.

The only other o-rings in the Flatline system are the two on the on/off cam and the on/off o-ring. These three o-rings should not require any service. If the system leaks with the on/off in the off position, you need to send it in to AGD. Replacing the on/off o-ring isn't something most users can do. You can prevent leaks due to an on/off o-ring not sealing and keep the entire system clean by always using a fill nipple cover. Getting dirt in the fill nipple and then filling the tank is by far the leading cause for inconsistent output, inadequate flow and leaks. Fill nipple covers cost at most $5 for the quick disconnect style caps and are an inexpensive insurance for keeping your system up to peak performance. You shouldn't need to oil your Flatline system often. Twice each playing season should be enough to keep the o-rings lubricated and clean.

-BlackVCG

Where the beer is deep. The forest is funny colored. Cloud nine is a thought away.
    thaught that out of 50 some odd views, its hard to believe the is no replies:

note*.... i think its time to clean mine out and oil it.. its been 2 years since i got it
    AO #765
    CCM Series 5
    Prerelease Impulse
    Hyperframed Warped Mag w/flatline tank
    Feedback.

Good to know that somone of Tom's status seeks "relief" from a sport he helped create. A sport now ruled by a single patent.

Great Post BlackVCG...!

Fireball Autococker
    12" Dye Aluminum
    12" Freak Barrel

WOW! I didn't know it required any maintenance! I am planning on oiling it after I play saturday. Ive had it for around three months or so, is this a good time to oil it? I always use my fill nipple cover, except for like one game I forgot to. Should I clean it after Saturday, or is this to early that it dosnt really matter? Thanx.

ENDO!
    Oldskool

3 months and you should be fine. I wouldn't worry about it but to oil and clean it maybe once or twice a year. It's more an issue of preventive maintenance. Some will say, if it isn't broke, don't fix it. But I for one, want to make sure the system is clean so that it will always be working at top performance and prevent problems before they happen on the field when I'm not setup with all of my tools like at home.

Ok, cool. Thanx BlackVCG. Oh, and thanx again for that millisecond op at the AO Party! hehe.

ENDO!

Thumbs up

GREATZ!!!!!!! Thanks lotz BlackVCG I'm here in Thailand all i needed is myself!!!!!!!
    watta greay Thread

I cleaned out my reg yesteday! Im glad I looked on here, because I got shot directly where you adjust the output pressure, and it got paint all in that allen hole!! I hope I did everything right. I cleaned out the inside of the piston with a Q-Tip to get the paint outta there, is that alright? Then I put goldcup oil on the outside of the piston. I didn't take any of the grease off the spring pack, just a little that came off on my hands and the rag I was using and stuff. So did I do good!?

ENDO!

Thanks for the great info, BlackVCG. I just serviced the Flatline Reg without a hitch. I use a small, 1" C clamp to hold the cradle. First I remove 1 screw, then attch the C clamp. Then I remove the other screw. Then loosen the C clamp 1/4 turn, and the tank easily detaches from the drop forward. The C clamp is like a third hand

Is that a 4500 PSI tank? It looks like the 4500 reg.

ENDO!

Hmm, thats weird, the reg is diffrent than mine.

ENDO!

thanks yo

just wanted to say thanks for the little bit of info, the pics really helped me with a speech i did for school about my tank reg. keep up the good work!
    Team Jolly Leprechauns
    Please Visit Our Sponsor:
    http://www.specialforcespaintball.com

Major Damage- That is the same reg as what you have. The only difference is that he has a red output lock ring on the front, the red and black fill nipple cover and the cradle arm is missing. There's no way either of you could have anything different, because the 3K Flatline is the only one on the market. All 4.5K Flatlines are light blue.

Well I know about the lock ring, the drop, and I have the same fill nipple cover I think, but my reg is round at the front, and his looks like a hexagon or octogon or something. Maybe is that how the older ones were or the new ones are or something? Mine is pretty new, Ive only had it for like 3-5months or so. So im kinda confused.

ENDO!

Just an optical illusion. All 3K Flatline Regs are exactly the same.

Ok, if you say so. But boy that looks like a hexagon! SHADOWS!

ENDO!

PRO_Ski101 Guest
    This may sound TOTALLY stupid but i just got my Flatline tank and i'm wondering why u would need to oil a nitrogen tank??i can understand cleaing it.I'm just afraid i'll take it apart and never get it back together.when ever i decide to oil and clean it,i think i'll get my pro shop to do it.

Awesome Thread

That is one of the most helpful threads I've seen. Thanks a ton.

silicone oil?

Is it possible to use silicone oil as grease (for the spring pack and other parts)?
    ...and also to oil the reg piston?
    Greets Manuel
    .:| levelx retro z-minimag |:..:| spearhead #192 |:.
    .:| ---> looking for Flatline 4.5K or AA Apokalypse 2K <--- |:.

Never have used silicone grease. On the spring pack it would be fine, because all the grease does is protect the spring pack from corrosion. I always use KC N2 oil on all the o-rings and the piston.

I use the silicone oil for my AIR valve too, and I have no problems. I thought because of the higher pressure? For the O-rings silicone itīs good, itīs for any kind of synthetic material - this says the label lubricates, protects, waterproof ...
    I think, it will work ...

where do you people get this silicon grease? any help is appreciated
    D . Y . N . A . S . T ... Y!

iR3

lol, cleaned my tank out this week and I messed up lol, it was leaking out the adjustment screw unless I turned it down pretty far, but then the output was still 1200 and if I shot it would drop down to like 6 lol it had the worst dropoff imaginable! Good thing I was just reffing today and not playing . I think I just put the spring pack in backwards, I put it in the right way now and will prolly get an air fill tommorow to make sure it's working . Oh and I used white lithium grease for the springpack, that ok?

ENDO!

Any grease will work on the spring pack. Yep, it most definitely sounds like you put the spring pack backwards. Look at the pic with the piston, spring pack and locknut, make sure the spring pack is positioned as shown in the pic.

Yup, I made sure it was right. I counted the springs n each end to makes ure it was right . Thanx BlackVCG!

ENDO!

obtained a used and abused flatline

I have replaced all the components of the reg body and it is still leaking. I can see two scratches on the inside of the reg body and think that is what is causing the leak. I looked on the site but didn't see a replacement. Where can I find a reg body to replace my bad one? I would be interested in used ones if they were in good shape. Thanks for any help.
    Chad
    check it out:
    www.breakoutpaintball.com

how about some tips on centerflag reg maint.?

No info about centerflag regs.

breakout- Send your Flatline in to AGD. They'll replace what needs to be in order to get it fixed. You can't purchase spare reg. bodies. You need to call to get an RMA number and send it in.

Flatline Parts Kits are now available!

FL Parts Kit

i got a flatline in a trade, how do i register it in order to get service on it if I need?

My girlfriend rides a moped. How cool is that??!!
    Good Traders list : RogueFactor, Langrage, ttoad4000t Old Mag Man, HungSolo, Shocker1050, pumpamatic, hitech, Mossman, Jonno06, Rooster, Grimm1013 |||
    Bad Traders : INFINITYMAG - where is my money!?! he has been banned and now changed to THEBIGUY