Thread: Football tryouts tommorow

Thumbs up Football tryouts tommorow

Yup, football starts tommorow. I'm goin in to sophmore year, and will most likely play on the sophmore team or the JV team if they need a fullback. I'm a little over 5'11, and weigh about 210, which seems like a pretty good size for a sophmore fullback. I've been playing since 2nd grade, and I've started pretty much every year, including last year. They are gonna be testing our 40yd dash time, our mile time, and our bench press. I ran a 5.2 40 before freshman year, and I haven't been timed since, but I think I've gotten alot faster. As for the mile, I'm just gonna go faster on the straight parts and slower on the turns and hope that pays off. For bench, I'm pretty high up there with my max. being 215 (which is pretty good considering I just started lifting after last season and some of the much bigger kids on my team can't lift 175). I'm just gonna hustle as much as I can, and try to give the coaches the best impression, no fooling around. Wish me luck.

Good luck man, I didnt go out for football this year because the job and stuff. Just give the coaches a good impression of you and dont be a douche to them. It sounds like your a shoe in, so good luck.

alex

Determination is what it's all about. Even if you aren't the best, if you show them that you can be the best, you'll most likely make it. Goodluck

you sound good sized for explosive type stuff

but your bench could take some work. its a bad thing when your body weight and bench are that close.
    AO Feedback PBR Feedback PBN Feedback
    [IMG]Only 1 pic allowed in signatures[/IMG]

Couple tips from an old dog..

On the 40, get jumpy and keep your ear on that whistle. A good start goes a long way..

On the mile, keep an even pace the whole lap, none of that changing pace junk, you'll wear yourself out... Although it's good to pick it up the last lap, especially the last 100-200.

Good luck man
    I'm way too old for this ****.

ehh...i dont play football too much now...

but heres my tips for you

run till you puke...and keep on running...

stay hydrated

breathe correctally

and just be very freindly..except to the other team ..steal their weasel mascot suit thing
    HalloWicked
    HATCHET WARRIORS UNITE
    Clown Love

http://www.nikerunning.com

A few articles there.

Try carb loading the days before, start hydrating DAYS before. Drink water. A lot. Especially since it is so hot out now. Since it is the day before, heres what to doL Drink water today and tommorrow. A lot. Also, have a big 'ol spaghetti dinner. Although any pasta will do. No caffeine either. (Caffeine saps energy from you. So quit drinking pop and limit the coffee ).

On the mile:

Run it as hard as you can. No bull<spit>. If you collapse at the end because you ran with every ounce of energy, great!!! That is victory. Don't go easy. Go all out. Since it will be on a track(most likely), stay in lane 1. Don't run on the line, or out of it. Watch your footing. WEAR LIGHT SHOES. Really light. As in distance spike light. No 15, 16 oz. cross-trainers or so. DO NOT wear football cleats on the track for anything(I've seen it all...).

Go for even splits. For instance:

67, 68, 66, 62. Type of thing. The last lap is almost always faster due to finishing kick. Although that would be a 4:27 mile(those ex. splits). That is faster than you probably will ever be able to run it in. If you could though, you'd be in the wrong sport. Cross country and track would be your sports.

Keep your arms moving straight. Don't put your hands in a fist. Run on your toes, although today's garbage shoes literally prevent it, what with all that heel lift crap. Toe running is an art that takes time to master though. Upper body strength is important in running. Abs, arms, chest etc. Work on your breathing, and your form. Bad breathing and form creates cramps. They are an evil that could be prevented.

Remember, "To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift." ~Steve Prefontaine.
    "I've always said that Pixar is the most technically advanced creative company; Apple is the most creatively advanced technical company"
    -Apple CEO, Steve Jobs

http://www.fortune.com/fortune/technology/articles/0,15114,1025098,00.html - Apple CEO
    http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1572017,00.asp - Adobe CEO