Thread: Help - Setting up a tourny

Help - Setting up a tourny

I could use a little bit of feedback from AO. I'm organizing a fund rasier tournament for a local church's youth group, and I've encountered a problem. Many people coming out to play have never played before or have only played once or twice, but then you have the handful of people that have had years of paintball experience and all the decent equipment to go along with it. I want to keep this tournament fun, not a newbie slaughter-fest. I also want to keep everyone happy at the same time. Anyways, my idea was instead of allowing teams to enter let everyone enter individually. After everyone has entered we will draw everyone's names out of a hat a make the teams like that. Hopefully this will divide up most of the experiened players evenly and level the playing field for everyone. Have any of yall had any experience with a tournament like this? Any help and or suggestions would be appreciated.

Automaggot68 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by AcemanPB
    I could use a little bit of feedback from AO. I'm organizing a fund rasier tournament for a local church's youth group, and I've encountered a problem. Many people coming out to play have never played before or have only played once or twice, but then you have the handful of people that have had years of paintball experience and all the decent equipment to go along with it. I want to keep this tournament fun, not a newbie slaughter-fest. I also want to keep everyone happy at the same time. Anyways, my idea was instead of allowing teams to enter let everyone enter individually. After everyone has entered we will draw everyone's names out of a hat a make the teams like that. Hopefully this will divide up most of the experiened players evenly and level the playing field for everyone. Have any of yall had any experience with a tournament like this? Any help and or suggestions would be appreciated.
    I dont have any tips, but the Name in hat thing is actuallly a really, really good idea dude.
    I never would have of that.
    Good luck with it

Drawing names could end up with 3 very experienced folks on one team.

Make it a young guns tourney (16 and under).

Make it an all mechanical marker tourney.

Make it a rental gun tourney and give away the rentals as part of the admission.

My local field does it best. Top 8 teams from prelims go to finals in an elimination style. You lose u go home. Anyone cane lose one game to a newbe team.

it would be like $40 for admission, minus paint
    I have a ReTrO Mag
    -ReTrO Valve /w ULT -E-mag Warp Body
    -Intelliframe -Warp Feed
    -LVL10 Superbolt
    -Dye Xcel 14inch

What about making the more experienced players team captains and thus ensuring that they are split up. This would avoid the unfortunate event of picking three "good" players on one team. Also like was said above the single elimination after the prelims makes it a little more even.

Quote Originally Posted by AcemanPB
    we sorta did this a field near me...heres how we did it...

rated each player (sometimes arbitrarily) 1, 2, 3. 3 being the best, 1 being 100% newb. put a 1, 2, and a 3 on each team. when numberes didn't work well...we did our best. plyaed the tourny like that. We sorta knew who the good players were (they were regulars) and could guess who the other good players were. wasn't perfect..as the 1s were out quickly each game...but the TEAMS were pretty even...about the best we could do.

or use two hats, one of experienced people and one of little/no experience. Go with one experienced person with two nons or whatever you have depending on numbers. But Kevmaster's idea sounds good too. Good luck with the tournament.

i think the rating of players between 1 and 3 and dividing them up based on that is a great idea. go with that.

I think the hat would be good enough, go with it.
    I am a declared Carb lover.

Member and president of the Anti-Atkins Group.

Advocate for the promotion of Rice, the truest sticky icky.

it was a 3-man tourny of course when i did it...you might adjust if you run a 5-man to fit the numbers of each level you have..

I was thinking about keeping the hat idea but after all the teams are drawn making sure atleast 2/3's of the people are satisfied with the teams. If 2/3's are not then we do it again, majority rules.

I'm not sure if the number thing would work, that might it end up being more of a headache. I'm trying to stick to KISS.

Keep the ideas rolling...

While this is fairly rare in paintball, "hat" tournaments are common in ultimate (frisbee). The usual method is to have players list their experience level when they sign up, and then randomly assign the players to teams by experience level. Using Kevmaster's 1-2-3 system You would first draw the 3's, then the 2's, then the 1's. So long as the organizers review the teams before announcing them, you should be OK. Letting the players vote is messy and time-consuming.

I would suggest you go with a straight-up round-robin format for this event. For a church group, with random teams, it should not be too competitive. Just make sure everyone gets in the same decent number of games, and people aren't not stuck waiting for a few teams to participate in playoffs at the end.

If you have prizes, assign the biggest ones to sportsmanship, rather than first place. Prizes for "coolest team name" and highest-fundraisers would also be good ideas.

Good luck, and be sure to ley us know how it turns out!

Jeff P
    Secretary
    The Canadian Contingent Paintball Club
    Cousins - EMR - PaintStorm - Odyssey - StraightShot

Well with the 3-2-1's I'm not sure I could get a 3, 2, and a 1 on ever team. As a matter of fact I'm not sure of what kind of turn out this tournament is going to have. I might have 30 newbs and 3 experienced players. I just don't want people complaining because one team got a "3" and their team didn't.

There is no way to tell ahead of time what sort of players you will have, or to plan for every contingency. Just do the best that you can. If you have 30 newbies and 3 pros, take the pros aside and ask them to play with a handicap - limited balls, or a stock-gun, or shorthanded.

Are you set on 3-man teams? Fewer but larger teams would allow for more games per-team, and reduce the impact of a few very experienced players. One vet and three newbies versus five newbies isn't too lopsided.

Throw in 2 vets with some ramping DM4... = 5 owned "1's"
    I would use the team captain approach. Have all the experienced players pick teams. Just depends on how many people show up. Might be a good idea to throw in a 2 ball handicap on the experienced players..

easy, if there seems to be an even split, have two tournaments, one with experienced players and one with newbies. let them choose their teams. split intermediate players up. or if there isnt an even split of experience (ex. 30 newbs 3 pros) then just do what others have suggested.
    xvalve, ule body, logic vert frame, WWA barrel
    68/30 PE nitro tank
    cp unimount
    halo B