Thread: Hey Tom, something you should know re: modular centerfeed

Hey Tom, something you should know re: modular centerfeed

Just wanted to let you know that freak barrels do not fit in the centerfeed module and possibly the warp module. The barrel diameter is just a bit to big and it doesn't rest inside the lip of the breech. I was having some breakage problems with the freak and accuracy wasn't that great on my sfl emag. That is when I took out the breech and noticed the problem. It fits spectacular with the dye boomstick though, and accuracy is amazing with that barrel. Maybe the cocker freak backs have a bit larger diameter than most barrels. Let me know what you find out.
    kila

Anyone else know anything about this or have this problem?...or do I have a cocker freak-back that was not made correctly?
    rob

From what I've heard, cocker barrels sometimes vary greatly in their tolerances. Dunno if that is true, but thats what ive heard.
    -Gig 'Em Ags!

I have owned dozens of cocker threaded barrels and a 1/2 dozen guns with thier threads - not all fit nicely. You cant expect every barrel manufacture to keep everything the same - that and wgp has slighly different tolorences on threads and such through all the years....

I know you hate to do it - but some sanding on either the barrel or sfl will make it fit... but id just try another barrel - possibly try another freek back and see how it is sized up.

Problems or questions with the site or your account? Email me: webmaster@automags.org I collect old guns and paintball gear. Email me if you have stuff to sell!

Paintball Never Dies - www.vintagerex.com

Webby, I thought about the sanding bit, and can't bring myself to do it...I will try another freak back and see if there is a difference in tolerences. By the way, I see you are in Kansas City, I will be staying there this friday night. Do you know of any good indoor fields or outdoor lighted fields for friday night? thanks,
    kila

Kila,

Humm, we opened up the recess that the barrels fit into. We thought it was big enough to accommodate them all. Unfortunately there is no standard blueprint for cocker barrels like there should be. You might have to send it in, we can open up the module or tapper down the barrel.

AGD

Tom,
    Could I just send in the Freak-Back, or do you need the module also? Thanks
    kila

You have to send in both so we know which one is the problem.

AGD

I'm disappointed to hear about this problem..
    Do Angel threads have a standard blueprint?
    Perhaps make modular bodies in Angel threads?
    (Plus I won't have to trade my SS Angel back either)
    Though it would take quite some time, I know..
    Oh well, I guess I'll have to trade backs anyway.

Hey Zads27,

I doubt this is a problem due to AGD but to all the companies making cocker barrels that can't keep them to one single specification.

Making things take cocker barrels is much more sensible. The use of cocker threading is almost becoming an industry standard (even if the actual thread is not standardised).

There is as far as I know no standard specification for Angel barrels either so switching to Angel threads will not help (it would also require significant changes to the body).

There are far more cocker threaded barrels out there than anything else (excepting spyder maybe...) and so it just makes sense to keep it as cocker to make it easier for more people to change to and get barrels for.

manike

Kila - its pricy - but its Jaegers - sub surface paintball. thats right - its in a CAVE. Its pretty cool - you should check it out.

not the trreads

It sounds like someone was commenting about the treads not fitting, however from hwat I gather the smooth bit before the threads is to big. Is that the problem? You will not have any problem taking some off the outside of the barrell to make it hold the module in, just take a little at a time. Normally the outside of that part just has to fit in but with the modular body it needs to fit fairly tight. I am going try all my cocker barrels on my extreem and see. I know my J&J full tilt works fine.
    DAVYBOY

In english terms, the guy at the smart parts plant that is supposed to watch the automated lathe and check hte threads either fell asleep, or was drunk. lol- hey it can happen!