Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: OFFICIAL Fantasy Emag Contest Q&A!!!!!

shartley Guest

OFFICIAL Fantasy Emag Contest Q&A!!!!!

This thread is for your Fantasy Emag Contest Questions!

Before asking ANY Questions, please actually READ ALL Questions and Answers already Posted. More times than not, your Question will have already been both asked and answered.

Thank you for your understanding.

Arman/XPM Guest
    So, are we supposed to design our own mag?

What's the dealine?

shartley Guest
    Arman/XPM
    You are to design what YOU think will be the Ultimate E-Mag (thus the Fantasy part). As the rules state, you are free to use what you like to design this with.. BUT you can NOT use any part of the picture Tom posted as the Example and inspiration for this contest.

Please review all rules again, I am sure if your read them slowly, you will get the idea.

I hope this helps. I will help clarify the rules for those who need it, and make sure all issues are handled, BUT I will not restate clearly written rules (that gets counter productive).. I will simply ask that Members review the rule number(s) that cover their question(s). I will even provide the Member with the exact rule number.

In your case, it is pretty clear what the contest is about, please review Tom's original Post, and the Official Rules Thread. It is clearly outlined.

For other Members wanting to ask questions, please be a bit more specific. It is hard answering a question that could be answered several ways depending on how you read it.

shartley Guest
    Shaft
    Deadline is MIDNIGHT of the last day of the contest, November 30th, 2001. Since we have a WORLD to deal with on AO, we will make it midnight on the West Coast of the U.S.A.

The entries will then be gathered and made into a gallery (much like the Design the Box contest), and all Members will be provided with instructions as to how to vote.

I, like most of the AO members, have no computer grafix design skills to speak of. Would it be possible to either scan a drawing or simply spell out in words an idea and have a chance of winning?

shartley Guest
    Phil
    I am sorry, but no. Part of what Tom wanted was as follows...

Quoted from Tom:
    I want to see stuff that looks COOL and REAL (as possible). I am looking for creative ideas on looks that can eventually be used in our gun line. I want pictures that make people on other forums say "is that REAL??".
    As you can see, a hand drawn picture or a text description will just not work. Please take note that there WILL be, and HAVE been, contests run that don't require what this one does. In fact directly after this one, there will be a "Name The Fantasy E-Mag Contest".

Noone is being left out. People just have to enter the contests they can realistically compete in. However, as with most contests here on AO, YOU the Members, have a great deal of participation no matter wether you enter, or VOTE.

uhhh Sam

Might wanna drop part of your last post so nobody gets a head start on it...

Nobody except me, that is

shartley Guest
    Flamebo
    Actually Tom already mentioned it in his announcement Thread. I am not saying anything Tom had not already openly posted.

Quote from Tom:
    The contest is going to run for at least 2-3 weeks so you have time. For the non-photoshop people there will be another contest to Name the Fantasy after this one.
    So chances are, people will skip right over this post as well. I am however, going to suggest to Tom that a LIMIT be put on the number of names people can enter.. that will make them THINK about the names and not run down a Thesaurus or Video Game list (like they did last time). That should solve THAT problem.

But we are focusing on ONE contest at a time.

Quick question regarding the ownership of these designs.

Any potential Patent or Copyright infringement would be worked out during the actual development of the Marker (if said Marker was to be developed), NOT during the concept phase.
    12) All entries become the property of AGD.
    Im alittle confused after reading through the rules who actually owns the design.

eg: if my design is actually developed at some point and time, I have no rights over my orginal artwork? Im effectively trading those rights for the chance at an RTpro?
    "it constantly leaked from the 3 way. I bought all new pneumatics and the leak just moved. I sat down and looked over Ravi's cocker site and messed with it and it still did'nt work right. I took it to a local "cocker expert and it worked ok until I got it home. Needless to say I have never had the urge to throw something off a cliff more." - Load SM5 on owning an Autococker

Trader Feedback

shartley Guest
    AkaEnder
    Actually you bring up two totally different issues. Let me address each separately.

Any potential Patent or Copyright infringement would be worked out during the actual development of the Marker (if said Marker was to be developed), NOT during the concept phase.
    You did what is so classic on AO... Taking things out of context. That section has nothing to do with the contestants' rights to copyright or patents. It deals ONLY with existing parts and designs of actual Paintball Markers being produced by other Manufacturers, as they pertain to any Concept Graphics produced by contestants of the contest.

If I may, please examine the ACTUAL Rule:
    6) You may use any parts from other Markers in your designs. Since this is a Concept Contest and the actual Marker will not be made (but may influence future designs), this is allowed. Any potential Patent or Copyright infringement would be worked out during the actual development of the Marker (if said Marker was to be developed), NOT during the concept phase. So have fun!
    Your other quote from the rules is dead on. It would be silly for us to sign contracts with each and every contestant to give AGD Rights to the Concept Graphics or to figure in any potential profits gained by the design. Thus, as was with the Box Design Contest, all entries become property of AGD upon submission. This is quite common.

However, if anyone has a problem with that rule, that is fine. They are free to either enter the contest, or not to. We had the same question asked with the Box Design Contest and it went just fine. We had plenty of submissions, and we all had a great time. The spirit of the Contests are NOT to take advantage of AO Members, it is to GIVE to them, and I am sure most see this clearly.

Yes, when you enter a design, you are instantly signing away all future rights to that work for the chance to win one of the prizes offered.

(Added Note: I know this was longer than a simple YES, but there were two issues actually mentioned. And I wanted to head off any further questions of this type. I hope everyone understands,.... and AkaEnder, it was not directed at you personally.)

Could I have a z-grip emag? ( I know it was in the ex pic). Can I do my own milling? If not what is the point? Just see the coolest colors?
    Life is tough nobody has lived through it.

Originally posted by shartley
    BUT you can NOT use any part of the picture Tom posted as the Example and inspiration for this contest.
    I think this statement is a little confusing. I hope the intention is not to stop people using the z-grip outline or the outline of the SFL Extreme.

People should be able to use parts of that pictrure that are generic to the Mag world. I.e. the z-grip and the SFL body shape outline. Just not copy the exact style of that example.

I think it would be great it people used the outline from the Extreme bodies as their starting point. If they do that there may be even more chance of seeing their design evolve out of the fantasy world and into reality...

If people would be interested in basic view images (side, iso etc.) of the extreme body, and if that is acceptable within the rules then I can provide them as starter images.

manike

shartley Guest
    Wild_Osiris
    Yes. You can have a Z-Grip Emag. You can also make an M-Grip Emag if you like. The only restriction is that you can not use the same Z-Grip Image used by Tom in his Announcement Thread.

Yes, you do your own milling, modifications, combination of parts/products, setup, etc.

Just follow the Official Rules... they still allow a WIDE range of things you can do, and more flexibility than most would need.

Hope this answers your question.

To have the max ammount of originality I think we should keep out ideas to ourselves, and the gallery CLOSED, until 01DEC01 (First of December). Is that how it works? I wasn't hever for the other contest.
    Early to rise and early to bed may make a man healthy but socially dead.

shartley Guest
    manike

BUT you can NOT use any part of the picture Tom posted as the Example and inspiration for this contest.
    That does not say you can not use "parts" seen "in" the picture Tom posted... it says you can not use any part OF the picture Tom posted. It restricts the use of the ACTUAL graphic or parts of it that he posted, NOT the parts seen in it (if taken from other sources). It makes people have to do more than take an already started graphic (that Tom posted) and use THAT as their base image... this would not be allowed. People also can not take any PART directly from the graphic and use that either.

I hope that clears up that issue.

Yes, people can use the same parts SEEN in that graphic.. just can't take them FROM it. If you would like to provide the Members with base images, that would be wonderful. It would also be well within the rules.

Feel free to start a base image thread in Friendly Corner if you like. It will save some of the members much searching for good pictures to start with.

Thanks.

Okay, I see that Tom said that they will be kept by AGD until the due date. I can't wait! This is so exciting! I feel like a little school girl! Okay, I'll stop.

shartley Guest
    BONESisAgod
    Please delete your post (or a Moderator do so). I have already answered a question similar to your post. You are basically working around my answer to Phil about providing a description of the marker... it is not allowed. I hope you understand. If we allow you to post what you would like someone else to design, it will open the same thing up for everyone else, and we just can't allow that to happen.

Snappy
    No pictures of ANY of the designs will be posted until AGD/AO staff posts the Official Gallery. The Gallery will not even be made until AFTER the submission deadline. Anyone who posts their graphics (on or off AO) will be disqualified.

I hope that clears things up for you.

all milling and coloring aside, would these new designs have to be able to prototyped from existing mag parts, or are we free to let our minds run free to create guns needing proprietary parts (different battery packs, altered valves, ...)?

i have no disturbing plans like magnetically charging the rounds for propulsion, but i would like to know how far we can safely stretch the existing tech level.

shartley Guest
    synreal
    Welcome to AO! Now for your question.....

As long as the "stretch" is not greater than would be feasible to create (and have work) with current manufacturing equipment, YES, go for it.

New Battery packs, altered valves, etc. are not too far out to exclude them from the contest. Of course if you make a hydrogen powered unit, it WOULD be a bit of a stretch.

I hope this answered your question adequately. We are depending on a bit of self restraint and common sense for much of this. But if we get an entry that is over the top, we will let the designer know.

Is there any place to find a kind of archive type thing of emag outlines to work with, im having trouble finding a starting point like an SFL or extreme body and warp feeds and triggers and such. I think manike said he knew somewhere, i think setting up an archive is a good idea, that way everyone kind of has the same starting point and can go where they want, otherwise, just a few tips would be really helpful, Thanks.

shartley Guest
    AGDMINIMAGAGD
    Yes, Manike said he had a bunch of stuff you all could use. I think he will be making a central place to pull these images from, but I can not speak for him directly.

I can not offer any other tips or advice at this time without actually telling you what and how to do things. And that would just not be right. I CAN however answer questions about some things.... remember, half the battle in getting the right answers is asking the right questions.

Hope this helps.

1st place gets an RT pro with warp, 2nd gets a warp and intelliframe trigger from triggernomics, and 3rd and 4th get a custom intelliframe trigger from triggernomics i believe, check down a bit, they have all the rules and such down there

I'll post up links here to images I have of the extreme body. I am just (as I type this I am on the phone) in the process of getting the files required to model up the modules and battery pack. As soon as I have them finished I will add images of the body with the modules in place. Until then these may be of help.

https://www.automags.org/~Manike/emagside1.jpg

https://www.automags.org/~Manike/emagside2.jpg

My fantasy E-mag is not going to be just a fantasy I'm making it!

manike

shartley Guest
    Thanks Manike.

Guess you will win either way.

So, By realistic you mean...

that we cant have it have wings and says it fly's and has rocket capabilities. I am wondering because that would be a fantasy.
    You smell like dookie... No really though.

shartley Guest
    InfinatyBPS
    Are you serious? Come on now. Please read the rules and Tom's original post about the contest. Fantasy would also be a RP E-Mag that would allow you to not even be ON the field to play... but that is also quite obviously against the rules.

The only thing "Fantasy" about the marker is that is has not been made yet. The rules clearly define what is acceptable, if you use just a bit of common sense. You may stretch the capabilities, and design a bit to provoke thought, but the ideas can not be to far out there that they would simply not be feasible.

And please do NOT PM me about the contest again. This goes for everyone. I can NOT answer questions about the contest in PM or E-Mail. It would then open a flood of PM's and E-mails that is not needed and warranted. Also what if others had the same questions?

KEEP ALL QUESTIONS HERE ON THE Q&A THREAD PLEASE.

Thank you.

And please do not use the report this post to a Moderator feature to ask contest questions. Shartley will not get them. All the Mods will and we will not answer contest questions. So ask all contest questions here in the thread.

However if someone gets out of line by all means let us know thorough that report the post feature.

Thanks

The Moderators
    Last edited by cphilip; 11-07-2001 at 11:48 AM.

shartley Guest
    Some of you were asking for some Tips on what you should do. Well, here are a couple things to keep in mind when creating your Concept Graphics.

1) Most people know direct size comparisons of parts and equipment. So when putting together your various elements, pay close attention to this.

2) Angles make a big difference. Putting in the extra time to find elements that are close to the same angles will cut down greatly on your actual graphic creation time.

3) Just because it is not perfect, does not mean it will not win! And just because some parts don't quite work correctly together should not stop you from trying it out. It is a concept... remember that. Some leeway WILL be given in the "reality" department. Just use your common sense.

4) You have 3 weeks to complete your entry(s)... use the time. If you get stuck, don't get frustrated. Step away from it and relax. It is better to come back to it later and do a good job, than to push yourself and not get the results you are after.

5) How you display your Concept can often be as important as the Concept itself. Although this is NOT a display contest, you will find that graphics and ideas that are displayed well can often cover up little flaws. After all, you are selling your concept to the other AO Members since they will be voting on the entries.

I took a few minutes to work up a sample for you. Since I can not show you a concept marker without violating the rules, I went with a slightly different theme. Don't ask where I got the picture from, because it does not exist... it is a concept.

You will see that I covered a few questions with this sample design. The angles, the "idea", and the different paint jobs. Remember you can not submit the same marker with different color schemes or paint jobs as separate entries. This shows you one way you can display several different versions of the same item using one submission.

As you can see, I did not try to cover up the concept, just accented it a bit. I used colors and form to direct the eye to the object I want the viewer to focus on. I gave it all a bit of depth to make the viewer seem as if in some small way they were a part of the graphic... hey the MTS is coming out of the picture right?

There are MANY things you can do. And I only touched on a few of them. I hope this gives some of you some ideas, inspiration, or whatever. Creativity is the key... use it!

I have a question,

Can i put two versions os a gun in one entry. like say 1 was warp feed body and the other was verical feed body (that is an example) so i dont have to go w/ two entries?
    Tough Times Wont Last Forever...
    Tough People Will ~ Darryl Kile R.I.P. 2002