Thread: Probs with Titanium Bolts?

HyperSnyper Guest

Probs with Titanium Bolts?

Sorry guys,
    havent been around that much, but I know this question was already addressed a while back.

I was wondering what problems ppl had with TitaniuBolts? Is titanium harder than Stainless? I know its lighter?

If it is harder will this create irreversable wear on the steel gun body or sear?

Let me know guys.

-Hyper

The main problem with titanium is the cost to manufacture. Machining a bolt out of solid titanium would be ridiculously expensive, not to mention the weight savings won't be all that much. Titanium is not all that much lighter than SS. What makes titanium perceived to be so much lighter is the fact that it can be machined to minimal thickness, without compromising durability. Titanium just does not belong in the sport of paintball. There's no actual application of the metal in this sport that would provide greater benefit. There's a lot more to it, but the basic reason why it's not replacing SS is that it would be too costly and there wouldn't be much of a benefit in function.

Not true...

I melted my aluminum Benchmark frame because I was pulling the finger so fast. I had to install a macroline blowing CO2 with each shot onto the next frame for cooling to prevent this problem, but sometimes it still glows white hot. I am thinking a frame made out of titanium or covered with Space Shuttle tiles would help.

HyperSnyper Guest
    Melting the frame?

You got to be kidding me...

If you are shooting an E-mag, the bolt will ride on the Stainless body of the gun. Even if there was excessive enough friction to produce some high heats, I would think that the Stainless body would insulate the heat... but enough heat to melt the frame? Something here has to be wrong?

Anyone else had experiences like this?

Cool

I think that this "white" hot metal you are seeeing is condensation from using co2. Try a hpa tank and see if your benchy still "melts"!!

Titanium weighs about 40% less than stainless steel, given the same mass.

Titanium - 4.5 grams per cubic centimeter

316 Stainless Steel - 7.8 g cm3

Black's right on about the costs. It would be prohibitively expensive to produce.

Maybe he meant he melted the frame purposefully like with a torch because he was shooting too many balls.
    One time I played a game solo vs Aftershock 10 man and won. Oh wait my bad that was a dream.

No, it's true...

I'm having JT make me a set of Asbestos lined gloves.

No offense FaSSt, but you're just making up stupid stories to try to be funny or you think people will buy them. Just like your story about the Jax Warriors going to RainMaker2's...

isn't it obvoius hes kidding? Nobody is actually stupid enough to think that he melts his frame when he shoots really fast. Funny or not, hes obviously kidding

Originally posted by BlackVCG
    No offense FaSSt, but you're just making up stupid stories to try to be funny or you think people will buy them. Just like your story about the Jax Warriors going to RainMaker2's...
    I tried to use a bit of humor to point out that some common misconceptions, like the superiority of titanium in all applications, are just a myth and are not to be believed.

The comment I made about the Jax Warriors - I don't think that anyone actually believed the statement, not was it designed to have that effect. (Especially considering that no such markers exist, and that Brass Eagle is totally at the other end of the spectrum from Airgun Designs...)

"Stupid?" I don't know. Understated humor is sometimes lost on some people.

But hey, it's your forum. Have fun on it without me from now on.

children, children...

Whatever.
    I shoot so fast I melted BlackVCG's frame.
    And if AGD wants to keep up on the cutting edge, then I want to see a berylium bolt. Since Formula 1 racing banned this super light and strong metal, there ought to be a bunch of it lying around el cheapo.
    Also, I want to have a sensor about 2" down the barrel that can detect the speed of the paintball and increase or decrease the airflow to the ball to keep my FPS consistant.
    THEN...I will be impressed.
    Brent Jackson, PFB.
    I don't practice anymore: I'm just good in a natural, vicious sort of way.

Will you please tell your boobs to quit staring at my eyeballs?