Page 31 of 55 FirstFirst ... 2127282930313233343541 ... LastLast

Thread: Logic Ripper EM - The Electro Solution - PreOrder

Well, the best thing he can do is tell Jim what he wants (just a general idea), what it's going in, what he wants to do with it, and how much he has to spend. Be realistic with both your HP expectations and your budget. Jim will likely either tell him how much he wants up front, and when to come get it, or tell him to take a hike (you never know exactly which one it'll be, depends on how you come across really). If he takes the job, give him the down payment and leave him alone until he calls to tell you it's done. Do that, and pay your bill when you pick up the motor, and you'll get along with him famously. (well, that, and listen to what he says about carb tuning, ignition timing, and first time start-up precautions)

What you will get will not be the same thing as a "crate motor" from Summit Racing or Oreillys. It will be a motor built just for you. Put a carb on it (with the CFM rating he suggests), a good fuel pump, a good distributor (timing like you're told), a good set of headers, prep it like you're supposed to before the first start, and you'll be a happy camper. There is no warranty, no guaranteed mileage, no guaranteed HP rating unless you have him dyno it first. If you forget to fill the oil filter up and start it dry, you pay to have it fixed (and you'll likely get the stink eye too). That's just the way of things in the performance engine world.

If he'll build it, it'll be strong for the money. Just be aware that insane HP always costs insane $$, so unless he has a small fortune to burn, expect to end up settling for moderately ridiculuos HP for moderately ridiculuos $$.

Besides, unless you drive race cars for a living, 800 hp on the street is dangerous. And even if you can handle it, you'll only make it across town on a tank of fuel. Better to shoot for the middle and end up with something that's pretty easy to drive, and that you can still go for a (short) trip in. I'd say anything in the 350-450 hp range is very doable on a moderate budget, and you should be able to expect a decent life out of a motor like that.

I can't remember his number right off the top of my head, but you can go look in the Rolla MO white pages for Covico Manufacturing and get the number that way.

Jim's a hell of a guy once you get to know him, but he can be grumpy sometimes too. The less BS that is involved, the better people get along with him. Just be polite and concise in your requests, and you'll be fine. Be a jackass and he'll probably just hang up on you. lol

Unhappy What happened ?

Its monday and theres no update.

Well, no progress was made on this project.

There are many reasons for this:

1) It was St Patrick's Day in Rolla MO. If you know anyone who's gone to UMR, you'll know why that's a big deal. (IE it's one hell of a party).

2) To add to the utter bad assedness that is St Pat's at UMR, Trapt, Shinedown, and Modern Day Zero came to town to do a show. Since big names rarely show up in Rolla, it sold out three weeks in advance.

3) I had tickets to said sold out show, and hadn't taken a weekend off in months.

4) Concert Rocks, and generally causes my ears to bleed. Good time indeed.

5) Upon return to the Fraternity House, an excellent party populated with decently hot chicks and much liquor ensues. Awesomeness is had by all.

That was Saturday (and into the wee hours of Sunday too).

Most of the rest of Sunday was spent recovering from Saturday.

There endeth the weekend.

I hope to be useful this coming weekend though.

Quote Originally Posted by CoolHand

1) It was St Patrick's Day in Rolla MO. If you know anyone who's gone to UMR, you'll know why that's a big deal. (IE it's one hell of a party).

2) To add to the utter bad assedness that is St Pat's at UMR, Trapt, Shinedown, and Modern Day Zero came to town to do a show. Since big names rarely show up in Rolla, it sold out three weeks in advance.

3) I had tickets to said sold out show, and hadn't taken a weekend off in months.

5) Upon return to the Fraternity House, an excellent party populated with decently hot chicks and much liquor ensues. Awesomeness is had by all.

You know coolhand.. you come back to this thread with the BALLS NOT TO POST PICS of aformentioned parting, ear bleeding and hot chicks

Sounds to me like you DID make progress.

Dunno,.. thats just me though

Quote Originally Posted by BigEvil
    You know coolhand.. you come back to this thread with the BALLS NOT TO POST PICS of aformentioned parting, ear bleeding and hot chicks
    Sorry man, I live in the moment. Didn't take any pictures, though I now have MANY new stories to tell the next time I go drinking.

Ahhhh, the wonders of booze . . . . .

Sorry man, I live in the moment. Didn't take any pictures, though I now have MANY new stories to tell the next time I go drinking.

Ahhhh, the wonders of booze . . . . .
    It sounds like coolhand needs to go to tunaball.

Quote Originally Posted by Arstron
    It sounds like coolhand needs to go to tunaball.
    Second that,.... floor is now open.

Quote Originally Posted by p8ntbal4me
    Second that,.... floor is now open.
    You do realize I live in Missouri, right?

And that I have a full time job from which I get no (zero, zip, nada) vacation, right?

Sorry guys, a trip out to the east coast for a PB game just ain't in the cards.

I appreciate the invite, but I just don't have the time to spare (or the money to spend ATM).

The weather was wonderful this weekend, absolutely fabulous.

I spent all day in the shop on Sat., and got a great many things buttoned up:

1) I moved the old Bridgeport over to make some room for the Sharp next to it
    2) Moved the Drill Press for the same reason.
    3) Totally relocated the pedestal grinder (location TBD, but it's not where it used to be).
    4) Cleaned behind, under, and around the old machines.
    5) Moved the Sharp to its new home.
    6) Ran new wire and tied the Sharp into power.
    7) Buttoned up the final little bits of the DRO install on the Sharp.
    8) Found the parts I need to finish up the CNC machine coolant retrofit.
    9) Fired up the Sharp and found it to be fully functional.

All in all, it was a fairly productive weekend. I didn't do **** today though, just sat around and soaked up the nice weather.

If it continues to be nice this coming week I will likely spend a weeknight on the CNC machine's coolant issue, and then we're buster for shop related issues (until I get my new lathe bought that is ).

I didn't take any pics yet, but I will as soon as I get a chance. Once again my old man stepped up and really showed me how it was done. He's forgotten more about moving big things in little places with few people than I am likely to ever learn. All it took was two fat men, a pry bar, three chokers, a cable come-along, and two hours to hustle the two machines into their new homes. No one was damaged, and all machinery remains upright and useful.

All in all, a good day in the shop I'd say.

I'm sure this is a retarded question but is this the same frame as discussed back in 05? EP frame w/ eyes? And there is a pre-order? Cuz if so I'm there dude. Lemme know.

Quote Originally Posted by G Squat
    I'm sure this is a retarded question but is this the same frame as discussed back in 05? EP frame w/ eyes? And there is a pre-order? Cuz if so I'm there dude. Lemme know.
    Yes, it is. This project has drug on for that long.

The preorder is over, when those are filled (towards the end of summer hopefully) I will sell the other's I have parts enough to build.

Then it's over.

zackzel Guest
    (towards the end of summer hopefully)

It would be really awsome if you got these out by summer. I would really be pumped if i got to use mine for the fall, thats when I do most of my balling anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by zackzel
    It would be really awsome if you got these out by summer. I would really be pumped if i got to use mine for the fall, thats when I do most of my balling anyways.
    I'm going to do my best to make that happen.

I'm getting perilously close to being done with my machine maintenance.

That means the weekends I have for shop work can then be used for actually accomplishing something on this project.

I believe the first big step will be cutting several sets of eye covers. That way I can be done with that CNC setup once and for all.

zackzel Guest
    I'm going to do my best to make that happen.

I'm getting perilously close to being done with my machine maintenance.

That means the weekends I have for shop work can then be used for actually accomplishing something on this project.

I believe the first big step will be cutting several sets of eye covers. That way I can be done with that CNC setup once and for all.

Thats good thinking, I am anxious to see the the eye covers come out on the karta, I have faith though and think they should come out looking good.

I was thinking though Ryan is it possible for me to send you a different valve and you send the valve I sent you back to me. I have a valve here that I wanted to use for a special project and I can't think of anything that would be more special then this. I will cover shipping both ways if that helps you.

Thats good thinking, I am anxious to see the the eye covers come out on the karta, I have faith though and think they should come out looking good.

I was thinking though Ryan is it possible for me to send you a different valve and you send the valve I sent you back to me. I have a valve here that I wanted to use for a special project and I can't think of anything that would be more special then this. I will cover shipping both ways if that helps you.
    That's not a problem at all, assuming I haven't lost the other one. . . . .

. . . .

. . . . .

. . . . . .

. . . . . . .

I kid, I kid.

Or do I?

Of course I do.

zackzel Guest
    That's not a problem at all, assuming I haven't lost the other one. . . . .

. . . .

. . . . .

. . . . . .

. . . . . . .

I kid, I kid.

Or do I?

Of course I do.
    Yeah don't get me going, I'll drop that other valve in the mail in the next couple of days here.

Is anyone selling there spot for one of these babies? If so please pm me with the details. Thanks

normally i would read the thread and find the answer to this question, but this is a long thread so...

is it too late to order one of those? are you going to be making any more in the future?

Hey Coolhand,

Question 1)
    Let's say you were making 15 of these markers, and let's say you went to make the eye covers, and let's say you accidentally made 16 sets.

How much would you sell a set of extra eye covers for?

Question 2)
    Same scenario, but this time, in the midst of making these you accidentally make a one-off eye cover.

How much would you sell a set of one-off eye covers for?

Just speaking hypothetically of course with the simple statement "I CALL DIBS!'

Thanks,

Z
    Z

Warning: Exposure to the SON may prevent burning!!

Yes indeedy, Olinar does in fact = on the ball.

I prefer the term "Johnny on the spot", but to each his own.

Quote Originally Posted by Zneaky
    Hey Coolhand,

Question 1)
    Let's say you were making 15 of these markers, and let's say you went to make the eye covers, and let's say you accidentally made 16 sets.

How much would you sell a set of extra eye covers for?

Question 2)
    Same scenario, but this time, in the midst of making these you accidentally make a one-off eye cover.

How much would you sell a set of one-off eye covers for?

Just speaking hypothetically of course with the simple statement "I CALL DIBS!'

Thanks,

Z
    If I have a spare set of the stock or DW body eye covers, I'd let them go for say $45 shipped.

If I have to make new code and cut a custom set of covers, figure about $300, 'cause I'll have a week in the code and a whole day in setting up the machine and cutting that one set of covers.

Last edited by CoolHand; 03-27-2007 at 05:16 PM.

If anyone is looking to get a spot inline for a complete marker send me a PM, ive had some troubles come up at work and now have to sell this spot in line.

If anyone is looking to get a spot inline for a complete marker send me a PM, ive had some troubles come up at work and now have to sell this spot in line.
    Awww, that sucks man.

Good luck with the sale.

zackzel Guest
    Coolhand there is one valve on its way to you, please let me know when you get it, I didn't insure it, I know I should have, but I didn't

Coolhand there is one valve on its way to you, please let me know when you get it, I didn't insure it, I know I should have, but I didn't
    Will do.

Let's hope the Fly Fickle Finger of Fate misses you on this go-round.

I'll insure it for the return trip, I'm never that lucky.

How much is the preorder? full price? and what if i dont want the complete mag, i have a tac one and want to Devil it ^

Quote Originally Posted by jade_monkey07
    How much is the preorder? full price? and what if i dont want the complete mag, i have a tac one and want to Devil it ^

this aint no devil mag here boy...

Lol it will be full price... most likely Arstron is a great seller whom i bought my spot from.

Ryan
    How much of a head's up can you give before you start each gun? I'm wondering when ano colors and misc stuff has to be decided on.

Quote Originally Posted by smilestyler
    Ryan
    How much of a head's up can you give before you start each gun? I'm wondering when ano colors and misc stuff has to be decided on.
    Before I start on each man's marker I will post here to confirm what we're doing, and then I will post again before it goes out to ano to confirm what we're doing there.

After a wait this long, I want to be sure everyone gets exactly what they are after.

I got the coolant pump installed on the CNC machine on Sat, and it works a little too good. Gotta install a ball valve or some other metering device to slow it down a little. 40 psi doesn't sound like a lot of coolant, right up until you point the 1/2" ID nozzle square down onto the subplate, THEN you realize that's enough oomph to make a very large shower inside your shop building. At any rate, it's always easier to stop it down than add more pressure, so I aimed high.

I was sick on Sunday and partially under the weather today too. Hopefully I'll be feeling better some nights this week to do a little organizing and whatnot in the shop, as it is getting very close to being done. One hard day would do it I think, or maybe three or four nights.

I will also be doing the CNC code for the eye covers this week in the evenings, hopefully I will be able to cut a few of them next weekend, barring any familial obligations from Easter and all that.

That is all folks, carry on.

EDIT:

Pics and commentary are here:

Clicky Here
    Last edited by CoolHand; 04-02-2007 at 09:42 PM.

Zach, your satin black TunaValve showed up today.

I will dig out your other one and get it turned around as soon as I can.

I would not expect it to ship before next Monday though.

It arrived intact with all the bits in the right place.

I'd suggest you use a hard side box from now on to ship valves though, I've had stuff bent in those envelopes before, just an FYI. It could just be something that happens to people with unusually poor luck (IE, me), but why chance it?