Page 32 of 55 FirstFirst ... 2228293031323334353642 ... LastLast

Thread: Logic Ripper EM - The Electro Solution - PreOrder

zackzel Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by CoolHand
    Zach, your satin black TunaValve showed up today.

I will dig out your other one and get it turned around as soon as I can.

I would not expect it to ship before next Monday though.

It arrived intact with all the bits in the right place.

I'd suggest you use a hard side box from now on to ship valves though, I've had stuff bent in those envelopes before, just an FYI. It could just be something that happens to people with unusually poor luck (IE, me), but why chance it?

Well I am glad it got there in one piece. And everything is well with it. Monday would be fine to get the other one shipped out to me. I was starting to get worried about it and I will definatly put valuable things in a hard sided box from now on. Thanks.

Alright... I need to know whats goin on. Pre-orders... no availible slots? I really want your services. I have the money. Can I get an EP conversion from you?

The only way to get a preorder spot is to buy somones spot inline. Coolhand has said he might do some more frames but it would be after all the preordered frames have shipped out.

On that note, I know where you could get spot #3 for a full marker.

Quote Originally Posted by G Squat
    Alright... I need to know whats goin on. Pre-orders... no availible slots? I really want your services. I have the money. Can I get an EP conversion from you?

Correct, the preoder slots are all sold.

I will not be taking any more orders untill all the preorders are delivered.

That will not be before the end of the summer at the very earliest.

So, you can either buy a spot in line from someone who needs the money (like our buddy Astron here), or you can wait it out.

Them's the onlyest two choices you have.

I was quite productive today.

I got the new coolant pump wired up and made fully functional, which was more of a project than I had first thought it was going to be. Being that it was a 1 HP pump, I couldn't just plug it into the wall outlet right next to the BFM as that would make that whole circuit useless for anything else. I ended up having to pop another breaker into the panel and run another line out to the BFM just for that pump. While I was at it, I wired up a remote On/Off switch up by the control so I can turn it on and off at will from the commander's chair. I also cut a ball valve into the line from said new pump to snuff down the volume/pressure enough to keep the coolant inside the enclosure.

That took most of the day. Afterwards I had just a little steam left, so I finished wiring up and tuning the DRO on the new Sharp. It is fully functional now as well.

Then, when I got home, I went to work on the Karta/Dallara eye covers CAD file and CAM work. I have just now (as of 2am central daylight time) finished it and uploaded it to several floppies to take into town with me tomorrow.

Tomorrow I'm going to do my best to get away from the family and into the shop so I can reassemble the BFM's enclosure, tram the head square on the Sharp, and transfer the vise and table guards over from the Bridgeport to the Sharp so I can start to use the new machine in earnest.

If I get all that done I will start putting way all the collets and cutting tools into their new homes so I can have my flat surfaces (IE table tops) back for other uses. That I won't get done tomorrow, but maybe I can make enough of a dent that I can actually cut the Karta/Dallara eye covers next weekend.

All in all, it's been one hell of a good week. All of my projects at the day job have shaken loose to the point that we will be starting work next week, I sold my Logan lathe (and thusly have fortified the "new lathe fund" with additional cash), I got paid, and I was useful today on projects for me and you all.

Yup, definitely a good week.

If/When I get to town tomorrow, I will take some pics of the current progress and post them over on Tinkering Tech for your continued enjoyment.

I know this whole thread (and the one at Tinkering Tech) is starting to become reminiscent of blogging (something I abhor BTW), but it gives a real time update (with visuals no less) of what I am doing. This has many upsides:

1) The customers (you guys) know what's going on at all times.
    2) You can see when I work and when I don't (this is good motivation for me, and shows accountability to you all, IE I can't say I've been working on the parts if there aren't any pics posted)
    3) When I'm done I'll have good documentation of this project for posterity's sake (whatever good that does me)
    4) I can't hide for this project even if I wanted to (which means it'll get done eventually)

That's all I've got for now. If I have pics to show tomorrow, I will post here again to let you all know.

I didn't get a lot done today, but I did go in and work some, as well as take some pictars.

They're posted over at Tinkering Tech as usual, last post of mine in this thread:

http://tinkersguild.org/phpBB2/viewt...hp?p=6197#6197

Hope everyone had a good Easter, I spent most of today puttin' the hurtin' on a particularly tasty ham.

Which explains my very late start and sluggish work ethic while I was there.

wow, your shop is amazing. looks like youve been busy in there, good luck with the rest of the work.

Quote Originally Posted by olinar
    wow, your shop is amazing. looks like youve been busy in there, good luck with the rest of the work.
    Thank you.

I'm hoping I can keep things progressing in a steady manner all summer long until all the markers are done.

On that front, I will do my best to have the regular ULE body eye cover GCode done before this weekend, so maybe I can cut them all at the same time.

Wouldn't THAT be a giant leap of progress?

OK guys, interactive product design time.

Which eye cover design do you like better?

Along with shape, you need to decide if the corner gets broken with a 45 deg chamfer, or a 1/16" radius. The radius is slightly more trouble, but I'll already have the tool in the bonnet from the Dallara/Karta covers.

Now's the time to choose.

Whatever gets decided here will go on every ULE bodied marker with an eye install.

I will also be making many spares to sell to guys doing their own eye installs.

There you are, don't anybody think you all don't have some say in this deal.
    Last edited by CoolHand; 04-10-2007 at 07:28 PM.

gruntbull Guest
    Wish I could give input, but alas I dont have one on order... if you take peanut gallery shots, New 2 looks best IMHO.

im in the same boat with Gruntbull with not having one ordered but id say #2 as well. it looks like itll be providing more a structural protection. not that eye covers have to do that but it fits better on a mag. Def #2

What about how to break the corners? Chamfer of Radius?

Input is input, but I gotta give the most weight to guys who've actually bought one.

Thanks for weighing in though.

Lightbulb Um Well.....

I have a marker on order but it doesnt have a ULE body.
    It has a Karta body and rail.
    So I guess I dont have any input on this one either. LOL
    If I did I would vote for new style # 2 .

Quote Originally Posted by going_home
    I have a marker on order but it doesnt have a ULE body.
    It has a Karta body and rail.
    So I guess I dont have any input on this one either. LOL
    If I did I would vote for new style # 2 .
    Speaking of, here's what I ended up going with on the Karta/Dallara Eye Covers:

They have a 1/16" radius around the outside edge to break the corner.

I thought the radius would go better with the swoopy doopy look of the Kartas and Dallaras.

Those dallara/karta eye covers are nice!

Another non-owner opinion: ULE cover #2 with radius corner gets my vote...nice and simple and smooth.

I am kind of partial to the new #1, but my spots for sale so I dont have as much weight as the rest of the guys.

zackzel Guest
    Alright not to be the stupid one or anything but i'm having a hard time visualizing the karta/dallara covers. Whats the big circle thing on the top is that supposed to be a detent?

Quote Originally Posted by zackzel
    Alright not to be the stupid one or anything but i'm having a hard time visualizing the karta/dallara covers. Whats the big circle thing on the top is that supposed to be a detent?
    Yup, that's the ball detent.

The cover is flat on the back and a slight recess is machined into the body and rail to let it set down into the body some. It should hide fairly well if you pick the ano colors right.

I tried to make them as small as possible to disrupt the body milling as little as I could, which is why I moved the mount screw to the front and shortened the height.

The flat slab looking things to the top and right are side views of the part to help me remember my depths of cut while I was programming to cut them.

zackzel Guest
    Yup, that's the ball detent.

The cover is flat on the back and a slight recess is machined into the body and rail to let it set down into the body some. It should hide fairly well if you pick the ano colors right.

I tried to make them as small as possible to disrupt the body milling as little as I could, which is why I moved the mount screw to the front and shortened the height.

The flat slab looking things to the top and right are side views of the part to help me remember my depths of cut while I was programming to cut them.

Oh alright, thanks for clearing that up for me. Should look good then, i have faith in you

Did you get my valve out, no hurry just wondering.

zackzel Guest
    Also what kind of boards are we going with for this project. I am sure its in there somewhere but I doing a quick search i didn't find it.

I have not shipped your valve yet, truthfully, I forgot about it over the weekend.

I will dig out your valve tonight and try to get a label made up for it.

Sorry about that, I've got too much going on.

The boards for these markers will be Chaos 2k6 boards, and they will come with the VLink cable and software to adjust them from your computer with.

Quote Originally Posted by zackzel
    Did you get my valve out, no hurry just wondering.
    It's now boxed up, labeled, and ready to go out in the morning.

If you send me an email I will forward the UPS tracking info to you.

zackzel Guest
    It's now boxed up, labeled, and ready to go out in the morning.

If you send me an email I will forward the UPS tracking info to you.
    I appreciate you getting to it. I will email you tomorrow. Thanks again.

I like the look of the chamfered edge, but I find nice edges like that tend to have their ano rubbed off a bit at the corners, so I will vote for the radius edge. I like the design #1 a bit more, but they both look nice.

edit; are you making a diff eye cover for the non detent side?
    Last edited by smilestyler; 04-11-2007 at 08:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by smilestyler
    I like the look of the chamfered edge, but I find nice edges like that tend to have their ano rubbed off a bit at the corners, so I will vote for the radius edge. I like the design #1 a bit more, but they both look nice.

edit; are you making a diff eye cover for the non detent side?
    Nope, I put a second detent in when I do the eye install.

The cover over there is just a mirror image of the first side.

Thumbs up Karta / Dallara Eye Covers

The eye cover drawing looks great.

gruntbull Guest
    You let me know Cool Hand if just one more could be made

Quote Originally Posted by gruntbull
    You let me know Cool Hand if just one more could be made
    One more frame or one more set of eye covers?

I have more frames, I'm just not selling them until I get the one's for these fine fellows here done. When I get the preorders filled, I'd be more than happy to build one for you.

I will also have several extra sets of eye covers, both Karta/Dallara and ULE body styles.

I'm set to cut 15 sets of Karta/Dallara covers, and I only need 4 of them, so there will be many left to sell to others (and to keep in case any other eye installs come along when I sell the last few frames).

I imagine I will cut about 30 sets of the ULE covers while I'm at it, just so there will be plenty to go around and so I won't have to go back and do it again later.

So, either way, I've got you covered.

gruntbull Guest
    Once you filled the pre-orders I am sure I will see a post and I will contact you post haste.

Okie Dokie guys, speak up about the ULE eye covers.

I've got to have this decided by the end of the weekend so I can write the GCode next week in the evenings.

Hopefully I will get the Karta/Dallara eye covers cut this weekend, or at the very least get a good start on it.

As always, if I make some bag, I'll post some pics.