Page 33 of 55 FirstFirst ... 2329303132333435363743 ... LastLast

Thread: Logic Ripper EM - The Electro Solution - PreOrder

Ok, progress update time.

I went into the shop on Saturday ready to start cutting eye covers.

While I was prepping the CNC machine I noticed a few things:

1) In my flurry of machine maintenance I somehow overlooked the fact that the compressed air regulator, moisture separator, and particle filter are missing from the CNC. The aforementioned components died sometime in '05 and I just bypassed them with a hose from across the shop. No big deal, a little clumsy perhaps, but functional. However, since then, THAT regulator has also died. Not that it didn't have a long and illustrious career (it was like 12 yrs old), but now I am without a regulated air supply for the CNC, and I cannot simply dump 120 psi shop air into that system, there are something like 14 solenoids I'd destroy, and each one costs around $750. No thank you ma'am.

2) My cleaning stalled out at about 85% complete. Mostly done, but all my flat spots were still occupied by things with homes all their own that they had been displaced from during use (IE I needed to put my hand and cutting tools all away.

So, since I was SOL in CNC land for the weekend, I decided to go ahead and finish my cleaning.

I build up another set of portable shelves I'd been hoarding as another work bench around the CNC and moved all the CNC tools over to the aforementioned new shelves. I relocated all my cutting tools from the various and sundry boxes they had been living in to a new rolling cart I bought just for them. I sorted and put away all the hand tools that were laying about. I cleaned up all the clutter laying about on the one end of the shop under the mezzanine. I swept the floors and tried to generally tidy up and improve my organization. I reclaimed my two rolling work tables from the pile-o-junk monster than had settled in on them. I tinkered with and improved the reception of my antique tunes box (IE it's a hard core old stereo that hangs in the shop, 8 track player and all ). I sorted and stowed the various collet series floating around the machine shop so that I can now find them when I need them. And I reassembled the enclosure around the CNC machine.

I then took some pics (which I haven't cropped or posted yet), and came home to do some shopping at McMaster Carr. I bought the stuff I needed to finish my electrical install, a new regulator, filter, dewaterer, and oiler for the CNC machine, some air hose and pipe fittings needed for that install, and a couple of other piddly little things. Still ended up spending the better part of $300. You can make money disappear at McMaster Carr faster than lighting it on fire, that is for sure. Oh well, it'll all be good stuff, and it'll be here Tuesday morning.

So, that leaves me these things to do next weekend:

1) Button up the coolant pump wiring and change out the conduit couplers on the 3phs power into the CNC machine
    2) Install new reg, filter, oiler, et al
    3) Finish cleaning up and organizing around the old bench and welding table
    4) Tram the head on the Sharp
    5) Load the required tools into the ATC on the CNC
    6) Load the program for the eye covers into the control
    7) Test the program
    8) Probe the tool lengths and enter the offsets into the control
    9) Cut off and square one end of the bar stock for the eye covers
    10) Cut the eye covers
    11) De-burr and check the eye covers for correctitude
    12) Rejoice!

If I get thru to and complete #5 next weekend, I'll be doing good. Still so much to do.

Oh well, progress is progress.

zackzel Guest
    Glad progress is being made, definitely a bummer about the missing parts for the CNC. Also I got my valve today thanks for getting her out, I realize how busy you are.

Quote Originally Posted by zackzel
    Glad progress is being made, definitely a bummer about the missing parts for the CNC. Also I got my valve today thanks for getting her out, I realize how busy you are.
    Yeah, that frickin' reg/filter/oiler setup was over a hundred bucks before shipping.

No worries on the valve, it's now firmly ensconced within the box where the rest of your parts reside, awaiting it's turn on the table.

Not much to report from this weekend, as I sorta took most of it off.

I got the chance to play some paintball on Saturday, and seeing as it'd been over a year since I last played, I took it. Then Saturday night, I got a call from some of my paintballing buddies that I hadn't seen in nearly a year, so I went to a party to catch up with them.

I got home at 5:30 am, and sacked out to recover for most of today. I did manage to get about four hours of work in this afternoon. I plumbed in the new reg/filter/oiler set and changed out some of the electrical fittings that were allowing the wiring to chafe. I also fabricated a mount for the last electrical outlet that I have to wire up, but I didn't get to actually pulling the wire and conduit or installing the outlet.

Next week the parts for the BFM's new enclosure door will be here, so next weekend I will be able to get the CNC machine back to 100% and ready to cut parts for sure.

That'll be a Huzzah! moment if there ever was one.

zackzel Guest
    Did you ever decide who is going to do the anno for these things?

Did you ever decide who is going to do the anno for these things?
    Well, the first one (Derek's) was going to Gruntbull. I will need to make sure that is OK with Going_Home before I send his off to them untested.

That's something I'll have to discuss with Home before we do anything.

However, if they don't turn out well, I'm rather at a loss as to where to get them done at this point. All of the ano houses I've worked with in the past are now either out of business or going down hill rapidly. The field of players is thinning every day.

Hopefully Gruntbull will be as good as everyone says they are.

Thats fine

Quote Originally Posted by CoolHand
    Well, the first one (Derek's) was going to Gruntbull. I will need to make sure that is OK with Going_Home before I send his off to them untested.

That's something I'll have to discuss with Home before we do anything.

However, if they don't turn out well, I'm rather at a loss as to where to get them done at this point. All of the ano houses I've worked with in the past are now either out of business or going down hill rapidly. The field of players is thinning every day.

Hopefully Gruntbull will be as good as everyone says they are.
    Gruntbull is fine.
    I realize that an Xvalve is not really gloss but have them match the back half of the blue Xvalve
    (where the X is) in gloss.

I used AO member thefool to try and do a barrel and feedneck.
    The marker body, rail, foregrip, and trigger frame had been camo anodized by WWA (Joe said the company went out of biz).
    I was happy with his match, wasnt exact but it was a lot to ask to match that one though.
    Whether or not he could do them fast enough or to your liking... I dont know.

OK, two steps forward and one step back this weekend.

I finished the wiring and whatnot on the CNC, so it is 95% operational.

Why not 100% as expected? Because Enco screwed me.

I ordered the parts I needed to construct my enclosure door system last Friday. Then I wait.

Things should have started to arrive by last Wed, but Wed comes and goes and still I got nothing.

So I go check with Enco to see what gives. No record at all of the order. Niet, nada, nothing whatever. Perfect.

Well, that's wonderful, so I place the order again, hoping it'll show up by the following Monday (as it is now too late to have the stuff by the weekend) and maybe I can steal a weeknight to put it together. Riiiiiight.

Well, about an hour after I place my second order, Enco magically finds my first order (six full days after I placed it BTW). So now, not only did I not have what I needed, when I needed it, I will be getting double what I wanted a week late. And yet, the agony is not over. Now I find that the stuff I really need isn't going to show up until next Thurs at the earliest. Fan-friggin-tastic. I swear, it's like a god damned greek tragedy over here. Now, not only am I out the whole week of time, but I've also spent over $1,600 instead of the just under $800 I had expected. The hits just keep on coming. I can send the one order back, but I still have to eat the shipping for their mistake, which is gonna be about $50 by the time it's all said and done. To say I'm miffed would be putting it very politely.

That's just friggin craptastical. I feel like I've been visited by the pube faerie, and frankly, it sucks.

But, not to be totally beaten by a faceless company and a less than efficient order fulfillment system, I did at least get my tools loaded into the ATC and get the length offsets measured, input into the control, and saved. Hopefully tomorrow I can get the program itself into the control and verified to be correct. If that all goes well, I'll throw the vise on the Sharp and square me up a billet to set the fixture offsets from.

If I get that all done, all I'll have left to do is build the door system, attach it to the enclosure, and then cut the Karta/Dallara eye covers. I also had the presence of mind to include the tools I'll need for the ULE eye covers in this group as well, so those are ready to go when I get the GCode done. After eye covers, the next contestant on the CNC show is the ULE rail milling code and tools (I thought ahead, but not that far, I'm bright, not a genius OK? ).

Home - Once I get the Karta eye covers cut, I will be able to start on your marker in earnest. There is a good bit of manual machine work to be done on your body and rail to get them to accept eye covers and the LP hosing. I'm guessing one full weekend of machine work there, two at the most, and then we'll be ready to discuss ano.

I think this set-up (although a long time in the making) will make for a very slick installation of the eyes. The covers won't blend quite as well as a DM4's eye covers do, but they'll be a lot less obtrusive than those tacky black plastic strips that pass for eblade eye covers. Bleck.

At any rate, when I finally do make some chips, pics will be forthcoming over at Tinkering Tech.

I was somewhat productive today.

Threw the vise on the Sharp and squared it up.
    Rearranged some tools into different CNC holders so they're ready when I need them.
    Tossed a piece of stock into the CNC vise, picked up my fixture offsets, and entered them into the control.
    Loaded the code into the CNC control.
    Verified that the code I created would execute without errors.

Then I came home and tweaked the Super ULE Rail CAD file that I designed for the ULE bodied markers that get eye installs. When that was done, I loaded it into my CAM package and created the tool paths and GCode to cut it. It all looks pretty good, so that's ready when I need it as well.

Basically all I am waiting on now is for my door tracking to show up so I can put a front face on the enclosure (you know, so the coolant stays inside). That stuff is due to show up late next week, so assuming no parts going MIA on the way here, and no major snafu's on my part, I should be cutting the eye covers next weekend.

Huzzah for progress!

These updates really arent fair you know, if you keep this up I might just go ahead and keep my preorder spot!

zackzel Guest
    Yeah I love updates as well. I always look forward to the weekends, well for some other obvious reasons too.

How many gram trigger switch will the frame use?
    Last edited by zackzel; 04-30-2007 at 11:54 AM.

Yeah I love updates as well. I always look forward to the weekends, well for some other obvious reasons too.

How many gram trigger switch will the frame use?
    25 grams

The leverage ratios between the trigger and the switch are set up such that you really can't feel the switch any more.

wow quite the horror story you have going on here, but the product looks good so it looks like itll be well worth it in the end. I do, do anno so if you are lost in that dept i might be able to help you out.

Quote Originally Posted by thefool
    wow quite the horror story you have going on here, but the product looks good so it looks like itll be well worth it in the end. I do, do anno so if you are lost in that dept i might be able to help you out.
    That's a rather rude way to interject yourself into a situation, especially since you're here to offer your services.

I'm not lost on ano thanks, I have at least two places that say they can perform the services I desire, and do so in a professional manner. We shall see how it goes. The first marker is going to Gruntbull as I have spoken with them several times and I am confident that they can actually do what they say they can. Hopefully that's as far as I'll need to look. If not, I have a runner up in the wings and a lead on a third if needs be.

Perhaps in the future you might work on your sales pitch. At this point, it's doing more harm than good.

eek thats not what i ment at all. I was just trying to say how this project looks like its been rough for you on the side of things just going your way. I have nothing but respect for how you've been dealing with the situation and if nothing else keeping everyone informed of how things are moving along. Sorry if that came off the wrong way.

didn't mean any harm and good luck with these from what i understand it looks like your getting close.

I wasn't even trying to make a pitch, just offer support.

I guess i just came off the wrong way, sorry about that

No big deal, it just struck me at a funny angle last night ( I wasn't in a good mood to begin with).

I'll not argue that this project has been snakebit from the start. It's been like a god damned greek tragedy.

I also found out about 20 mins ago that my lexan sheet for my enclosure doors will not be here until Monday, even though it only has to come from about a hundred miles away and I ordered it on Wed (with assurances it would ship within the hour and be here the next day ).

So, it looks like I'll be doing something makeshift for this weekend, as I don't want to wait any longer to make some chips. I'm getting itchy to get this show underway again.

Thumbs up Thats what I'm talking about

So, it looks like I'll be doing something makeshift for this weekend, as I don't want to wait any longer to make some chips. I'm getting itchy to get this show underway again.
    I know I'm excited about it.

Yeah well, as with so many things, this one will not go quietly into that good night.

I didn't get the eye covers cut, go to Tinkering Tech to read about why:

http://tinkersguild.org/phpBB2/viewt...hp?p=6264#6264

Wink I Love a Parade !

I noticed the other page is updated today and some eye covers were cut !

Quote Originally Posted by going_home
    I noticed the other page is updated today and some eye covers were cut !

Man you are on the ball. I literally just now got finished fixing all the typos. lol

At any rate, he is indeed correct, progress was made today. The eye covers for the Kartas and Dallaras have been cut, but still need to be deburred.

Go here to read about it and see the pictars:

http://tinkersguild.org/phpBB2/viewt...hp?p=6272#6272

Home - I might get to doing your eye install machine work next weekend. Wouldn't that be a novel fricken concept? Stay tuned folks, it could get interesting here in fairly short order.

thats a nice machine youve got there :P

15 sets, how long did that take you to run?

Quote Originally Posted by thefool
    thats a nice machine youve got there :P

15 sets, how long did that take you to run?
    Total time including tinkering, dry runs, cleaning the vises in between sides and cutting - 3.5 hrs give or take a few mins.

Cutting time only I'd say roughly an hour and 15 mins (1.25 hrs) give or take.

Tiny end mills mean slow cuts with shallow DOC's. If I had a 10k or 15k rpm spindle it'd be a different story, but alas, I must languish with but 5k rpms.

Home - I sat down and whittled your eye covers out of their attached swarf, and they look pretty good.

Pics are here:

http://tinkersguild.org/phpBB2/viewt...hp?p=6278#6278

Sorry that the pics suck, my camera is mostly gimpified, and they are hella tiny and hell shiny.

I'm going to try to do your eye install machine work this coming weekend, unless something comes up to intervene.

I believe this is one of those "Huzzah!" moments.

Wink Thats what I'm Talking about !

Home -

I believe this is one of those "Huzzah!" moments.
    Amen !

New better before and after pics are up.

http://tinkersguild.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=636

Nothing else new to report.

I was useful again this weekend:

http://tinkersguild.org/phpBB2/viewt...hp?p=6326#6326

Be there or be square.

Damn dude, that rail is off the charts Whats the weight?

Quote Originally Posted by Warwitch
    Damn dude, that rail is off the charts Whats the weight?
    Haven't weighed it yet. The solid model says it should be about 14% of the original weight.

gruntbull Guest
    Saw the rail (Nice) the finish is a bit of worry but it appears your new tool may get you were you are going. Man I wish I was around when you offered these...

Quote Originally Posted by gruntbull
    Saw the rail (Nice) the finish is a bit of worry but it appears your new tool may get you were you are going. Man I wish I was around when you offered these...
    The finish looks a lot worse than it really is. Ten minutes with some 600 grit sandpaper and those marks are all history. But like I said, it chaps my *** to have to sand freshly CNC machined parts.

I think the problem is crud in my taper, which I will expunge when the taper cleaner arrives sometime this coming week. Hopefully by the time you see anything from this project, the finish will be much nicer.