Page 34 of 55 FirstFirst ... 2430313233343536373844 ... LastLast
Results 991 to 1,020 of 1637

Thread: Logic Ripper EM - The Electro Solution - PreOrder

gruntbull Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by CoolHand
    The finish looks a lot worse than it really is. Ten minutes with some 600 grit sandpaper and those marks are all history. But like I said, it chaps my *** to have to sand freshly CNC machined parts.

I think the problem is crud in my taper, which I will expunge when the taper cleaner arrives sometime this coming week. Hopefully by the time you see anything from this project, the finish will be much nicer.
    Roger roger, one way or another it will get the finish you and I both think it should... CNC machine be warned... finishers have the final say!

zackzel Guest
    Sorry if I am jumping the gun just wondering if any progress has been made lately.

Quote Originally Posted by zackzel
    Sorry if I am jumping the gun just wondering if any progress has been made lately.
    Well, most all of the time since the last update has been spent chasing a surface finish issue on the CNC machine. It's pointless to manufacture things if they are not up to snuff. So, I research, and I tinker, and I test, and eventually I will figure out a way to bring the machine back into spec. Either by hand finishing methods myself, or by having someone with a spindle grinder come in and grind the taper.

I've also been pondering what I'm going to do about the Karta eye covers, since I just recently realized that the previously designed Dallara covers will not work on a Karta. Much to my chagrin.

Add to that the fact that work (the day job work) has been murder for the last few weeks, and you get what we've got right now. Nearly no progress, and no updates because of it.

That is all.

zackzel Guest
    Well I am glad that quality is a high priority and thanks for the update

gruntbull Guest
    Coolhand,
    Can you send me a sample part with that finish woe? Ted would like to take a look at difficulty in massaging out the issue.

-Bull

Quote Originally Posted by gruntbull
    Coolhand,
    Can you send me a sample part with that finish woe? Ted would like to take a look at difficulty in massaging out the issue.

-Bull
    Yeah, I can do that. You're pretty much going to have to wet sand the surface down to about 800 grit or so before you start buffing, or you'll just end up destroying the dimensional accuracy of the part by over buffing in some places (makes the surface very wavy and kills the square corners). Don't ask me how I know this. . . . . . .

I could send you the prototype rail I just cut, but I want to have it here to compare with when I start working on the issue. I'm thinking that I'm just going to have to have the taper ground in place to fix it for good. What's a few thousand dollars between friends, right?

I'm sure you guys could fix the finish issue, but the problem would still be there on every piece I cut. Or, I can have the spindle ground and fix it once and for all.

Thanks for the offer though, if I cut anything else in the near future I will send it your way so you can do a test for me regardless of the machined finish. I've been wanting to see you all's work firsthand anyway.

gruntbull Guest
    Yeah, I can do that. You're pretty much going to have to wet sand the surface down to about 800 grit or so before you start buffing, or you'll just end up destroying the dimensional accuracy of the part by over buffing in some places (makes the surface very wavy and kills the square corners). Don't ask me how I know this. . . . . . .

I could send you the prototype rail I just cut, but I want to have it here to compare with when I start working on the issue. I'm thinking that I'm just going to have to have the taper ground in place to fix it for good. What's a few thousand dollars between friends, right?

I'm sure you guys could fix the finish issue, but the problem would still be there on every piece I cut. Or, I can have the spindle ground and fix it once and for all.

Thanks for the offer though, if I cut anything else in the near future I will send it your way so you can do a test for me regardless of the machined finish. I've been wanting to see you all's work firsthand anyway.

As long as it doesn't take us too long to finish its on the house, if we have hrs of finish on hand well you get the point. I agree with you, fix the problem at the base, you save time and money that way EVERYTIME. Cause in the end, you still have the problem and will still have to deal with it later... with even more cost.
    Last edited by gruntbull; 06-05-2007 at 08:53 PM.

Bummer.

Hate to see a guy wait all that time and then have to sell his spot.

BTW, I'm doing the CAM work for your eye covers and mount pockets today. Hopefully next weekend I can have an update with actual factual pics of the finished work.

We shall see how the CAM process goes.

mmm, cant wait to get this gun. What kind of anno does number 10 spot come with? I'll start thinking up a scheme

Question TRIANGLE>>>

Quote Originally Posted by mobsterboy
    mmm, cant wait to get this gun. What kind of anno does number 10 spot come with? I'll start thinking up a scheme
    What ? Triangle sold his spot ?
    Boot camp musta went to his haid.

Just a bit of crummy news to report.

While I was working on the GCode for your eye covers Home, I realized (while verifying the already completed code) that my work holding scheme for these parts would not work at all.

I found that about half way through the roughing pass on the back sides of the covers, they would pop loose from their billet and rattle around inside the pocket I'd cut like little dice.

This good, because instead of destroying the parts and wasting an entire day of machine work, I found this out in the verify stage and was able to not make the mistake. This is bad because now my tools and I have to withdraw and regroup at our rally point to plan our counter attack. This also means another delay. GOD I'm getting sick of saying that. Just once I want something to go smoothly so I can tell you guys that something is FINISHED for a change.

I have to pull the spindle out of the CNC machine next weekend and send it off to be rebuilt. I had hoped to at least have Home's eye covers done before then, but that just ain't in the cards after this set-back. On the up side, your parts will be much smoother right out of the machine ( ), on the down side, the machine will be in pieces for at least a week, maybe two if I have a hard time finding the bearings I need. While I have the machine down and the spindle out, I'm going to go ahead and replace all the bearings in the gear head to quiet down the grumbles emanating from within. The re-builder has promised me a two day turn around once they get it (or rather just a swap for a newly rebuilt one really), so the only wait is truck freight both ways. I'm guessing this little foray is going to cost me somewhere in the neighborhood of $4500 before I'm all done with it.

Having machinery is WONDERFUL!

Oh well, it's only money, and when I'm done I'll have a spindle and gearbox to last another decade at least (especially with the way I use one).

Sorry the news isn't better, but I thought I ought to at least post something.

eek i never knew spindle rebuilds were so expensive

Quote Originally Posted by thefool
    eek i never knew spindle rebuilds were so expensive
    HA!

I talked to a fellow last week that had to put a spindle in medium sized Mazak VMC.

The bill? $14,750 . . . . . . . after he got his core deposit back.
    He had to lay out nearly $40k to get them to cross ship a spindle cartridge to him to minimize his down time. They refunded the difference after his old one showed back up at the supplier's warehouse.

That spindle cost more than my entire machine did. The initial deposit cost more than this entire machine did when it was NEW.

Now, granted, that was a $300k machine, but it just illustrates that even though this bill stings, it can ALWAYS be worse.

it ALWAYS gets worse.... I want to see this project get done.

Thumbs up THUMBS UP>>>

Thanks for the update.
    I see spot numbers 3 and 5 are up for sale now.
    And number 10 has changed owners.
    I dont know how you keep up with it all.

Quote Originally Posted by going_home
    Thanks for the update.
    Don't pat me on the back too hard just yet, I've had a couple of clerical snafus already on this project, don't want to jinx it.

Once I get this spindle changed out and the enclosure back around the machine I hope we will be out of mechanical issues to fight with.

Eyes for your EMAG? Oh yes! PM me for an ACE board. Replacement Xmag ACE boards too!
    Thanks for the update.

5 is pending to myself, and i'm currently scrounging up some dough for 3...

zackzel is off to military training for 3 weeks and will be paid in full upon his return.

Exclamation HOLY TABERNACLE>>>

Quote Originally Posted by Papa_Smurf
    5 is pending to myself, and i'm currently scrounging up some dough for 3...

zackzel is off to military training for 3 weeks and will be paid in full upon his return.
    You need one for each hand ?

Eyes for your EMAG? Oh yes! PM me for an ACE board. Replacement Xmag ACE boards too!
    You need one for each hand ?

Story of my life, women...beer...

KIDDING...but seriously...

Tore the CNC machine apart today.

Here's the thread with pics so no one thinks I'm fibbin' ( ):

http://tinkersguild.org/phpBB2/viewt...hp?p=6468#6468

Have a fun and safe 4th y'all.

New gearbox bearings showed up today. Hopefully I will be able to get them installed this weekend, or the first of next week for sure.

Still waiting on the spindle to show back up, but that should be here the first part of week after next.

Progress is slow, but steady. I'm making my McMaster Carr order for parts to complete my enclosure retrofit tonight, so I can work on that next weekend while I'm waiting for the spindle to show back up.

Just thought I'd post an update so you know I survived the fireworks season.

Don't you love McMaster? Everytime I order from them shipping is around $5 and I get it the next day. Awesome!!!

Quote Originally Posted by stonersr26
    Don't you love McMaster? Everytime I order from them shipping is around $5 and I get it the next day. Awesome!!!
    Yes, I love that they have basically everything ever, and that they ship at 89% light speed, but I try not to order from them too often as the orders have a habit of becoming multiple hundred dollar affairs pretty quickly.

Just as a for instance, this order here will be in the $750 range by the time it's all together.

This hobby is getting to be more expensive than race cars, and that's really saying something.

Yes, I love that they have basically everything ever, and that they ship at 89% light speed, but I try not to order from them too often as the orders have a habit of becoming multiple hundred dollar affairs pretty quickly.

Just as a for instance, this order here will be in the $750 range by the time it's all together.

This hobby is getting to be more expensive than race cars, and that's really saying something.

I know what you mean, I have a mag that I am so close to having finished but still have about $100 to drop into it to get it finished.

Then I have my '79 Trans Am and I have dropped at least $5,000 into it and still have about $3,000 to go and I still haven't even touched the engine. It is an Olds 403 and they aren't cheap to re-build, but they have torque that makes ahot 350 look like a lawn mower engine

The machine is still in pieces. I'm having the new bearings pressed on tonight (in about an hour actually). But there is bad news in spindletown.

I've just spoken with the spindle rebuilder, and the exchange spindle they were going to give me will not fit my machine properly. So they're going to have to tear it apart and do it the hard way.

They broke my cartridge down and sent the taper out to grinding today, should be done and back by Thurs morning, so they are saying it should ship back to me Fri or Mon at the latest.

Another slight delay, but nothing terrible.

Just thought you all should know.

Still waiting on my spindle to show back up from from the rebuilder, and I found (much to my chagrin) that one of the bearings I was sold for the gearbox was the wrong size. The next day they sent out the replacement, and the day after that it arrived. I needed a bearing with about a 90mm OD, the bearing that showed up had about a 35mm OD.

That means that:

A) I have one $40 bearing, and one $12 bearing that I cannot use, and return shipping will cost at least $15 to get a refund. Either way I go, I'm eating something.

B) Even the gearbox is still all in pieces, no assembly can be made until that damned bearing shows up.

C) The spindle is taking longer than they said it would, I hope it have it back by the end of the coming week, but I am not gonna hold my breath (I'd have suffocated at least twice on this project alone).

D) All you guys are going to have to wait at least another two weeks.

I am very sorry. It seems that every time I turn around I'm having to post about something that will cost you guys at least a week's wait.

When I get Home's marker done, I'm going to do a frickin' happy dance, that's for sure.
    Last edited by CoolHand; 07-22-2007 at 09:19 PM.

Talking

When I get Home's marker done, I'm going to do a frickin' happy dance, that's for sure.
    I'm about to do one now just thinking about it being done.
    Keeping my fingers crossed that it might just be done in time for AO South.

Any chances we can see it on youtube

Wink Me No Gottee

Quote Originally Posted by grominou69
    Any chances we can see it on youtube
    Me no gottee video, sorry.
    (only video I have is 1.3mp cell phone video, not the best)
    If the coolmeister wants to make one when he's done with it thats up to him.

Heres his prototype graphed at 20bps with paint :

http://www.logicpaintball.com/UEF-WithPaint.avi