Thread: My Kid gets his first Deer on his first hunt!

My Kid gets his first Deer on his first hunt!

Caleb, my 15 year old Son, got his first deer Saturday. He was hunting with one of his High School Football team mates on his Dads land (600 Acres) in Laurens County South Carolina. He just received this Rifle as a early X-Mas present two weeks ago and it was his first ever Deer hunt and with his new Rifle. He was taking a doe at the property owners request who manages the land for Trophy bucks and he is over populated with Does right now. He saw four deer that day. This Doe (reportedly Bambi's Mother but we are not sure) and two others and a small four point buck, all of which he passed on for this the biggest of the Doe's he saw. One clean shot from a Remington Model 700 in .270 caliber at about 40 yards about 5:30 PM Sat Dec 1st. About 120 pounds.

At the meat processor now. Good eatin! See picture:

AGD, where we are so good we can do it with only ONE tube!

cphilip.com

shartley Guest
    Congratz!

Phil! Put the heart in an igloo cooler and send it overnight to me!

Serious folks, if you have not had deer heart, you don't know what you are missing. Slice it thin and slow cook it with lots of butter, onions and mushrooms. It melts in your mouth, and tastes SO darn good!

Oh man..Sam...I got bad news..he took it to one of those processing places and they did not save it. Although he will be going again and I will indeed do that for you the next time. He has been asked to take another Doe.

That brings up another point. When did Deer hunting get to be so easy? Is it just me or did I go out day after day after day and not get a darn thing. And when I did get one did I just drop it off at a professional place to skin gut and package neatly ready for the freezer? Nooooooo! I was up all night cleaning gutting and chopping into small enough pieces to put in the old fridge for a few days to salvage the meat. Kid tells me by the time he had checked off the blocks as to how he wanted the meat processed Sausage made etc. they had it gutted and skinned! All for $15 to skin and dress!

My friend Dr. Walt Ligon (the one who wrote the thoughts on PB thing) had this to say about it: "too bad! his first hunt with his first rifle and he kills a deer? now he'll
    never know the joy of sitting for hours on end, day after day, freezing his *** off in a tree without even SEEING one of the damned beasts!"

Now thats how it was in the olden days!

Oh yea let me stess this point... It was his first Deer hunt! Ever! And his first time out (other than the practice range) with this rifle.

shartley Guest
    I agree. Part of the process IS the process. Now days it is more like simply shooting at a moving target. The REAL hunting experience is MUCH more than that and can be a wonderful bonding with both your friends and family as well as the deer. (Some should take note of Old Native American beliefs.)

And the gutting, cleaning, etc. was a part of that process. It made you WORK for it, as well as know the effort it truly takes. It also made you realize that what you did was kill a LIVING thing, and it is not a disposable item like a Big Mac in a paper wrapper. Killing is EASY, but dealing with the process AFTER is often very hard. And if you can not deal with it ALL, you should not be hunting.... because then it just cheapens the experience and the life you just took.

If all you want to do is kill something, you missed the point of the hunt. And if all you wanted was to hit a moving target.. go to a good rifle range, and then stop in to your local butcher for some meat.

I guess we can call it Nintendo Hunting? Point shoot, and let someone else deal with the reality of it all.

But that is just my opinion on the matter... to each their own.

congrats to your boy I got my first deer 4 years ago and still remember the feeling..

And when did deer hunting get so easy? well, 2 years ago I didn't get, didn't even see one after a week of freezing my butt off.....

As for the heart, they've really discouraged eating any organs here, so I haven't had one...

This is more like "harvesting" in some respects but I will bite my tounge. Its not like those game farms you see now a days. These are truely wild beasts so I cannot get too concerned about that respect. He had success so he is real excited and I couldn't say much right now. And having the processing done is real nice for me as I woulda been the one to show him late one night and I wasn't realy prepared to do it right. However I do hope he does experience the real joy of being outdoors and hunting with a respect. The guy who takes him does and I am sure he will instill in him a healthy respect for life as I have always done before. So we shall see. I know he will experience the "joy" of cleaning game soon as I intend to thin our squirrel population and he is also going Rabbit hunting later in the season. He will not hunt if he is not willing to clean game. I can see a deer not being the first thing but he will clean and eat what he kills for the most part. My rule that was passed down from my forefathers. Worked for me and them. That should fix it.

shartley Guest
    You said it.....

Originally posted by mrhooie
    2 years ago I didn't get, didn't even see one after a week of freezing my butt off.....
    Now that's how I remember it! Still was fun though huh? Most of you may not know that I actually have solved many of the worlds complex problems while doing that...however they were never implemented as I forgot them by the time I got warmed back up...

Ahhh, first hunt, first deer, way to go Caleb!

.270 at 40yds? Was there any meat left?!

I remember my first hunt..................actually I don't, it was too long ago, but I do recall my last hunt: Squirrels to the left of me, squirrels to the right, looking over the field to the front I can see them massing for whatever squirrels do. I place the crosshairs, slowly start taking up slack...and a Forest Service truck rolls into the view! I wait for another half hour until he finally spots me and drives over to say hello. I asked if he saw the warning signs I put up, that someone was shooting in that direction, he said "well, yeah, but I didn't think to look for you". Sheesh, bright white Ranger less than 50yds from the road, no brush to conceal it, and you drive straight at it until the road turns. Oh well, turns out he made the critters mad, so they were all out cussing at him as he drove away. I waited until he was out of sight behind me and started busting caps. Glorious day it turned out to be anyway; if I saw them, I hit them!

Sam is right Phil, save the heart next time. Deli sliced, and saute'd with onions and lots of butter...heaven. Seems to only work with deer and elk, cow heart is tough.

Now that's how I remember it! Still was fun though huh?

Yup....nothing like it. Being in the woods or a field for hours on end, with nothing to do but think

I used to think long drives of 10 hours or more were relaxing (because you've got nothing to think about but the drive) but the time I've spent just sitting and looking and thinking are some of the best times I've had.

Good going, Caleb! First deer on the first hunt? It's all downhill from there!

hey good job caleb.. I'm 16 and My father and I were hunting the otha weekend but.... we didn't get anything!!!!
    O well next time right.

Excuse my ignorance but is it leagal to deer hunt with rifles? I though it had to be pistols for shotgun slugs? I've never seen hunting b4, I'm not quite on the up and up on this?
    "I want to thank the Canadian people who came out to wave, with all five fingers, for their hospitality,” -President Bush (Tuesday November 30/04)

shartley Guest
    There are different seasons, even bow and black powder. So, yes it is legal to hunt deer with a rifle.. if you do so in season.

Of course I wonder why they don't have "Truck" season? Now THAT would take skills... but it would have to be on THEIR territory, not on the roads. (j/k)

Originally posted by Army
    Ahhh, first hunt, first deer, way to go Caleb!

.270 at 40yds? Was there any meat left?!

I remember my first hunt..................actually I don't, it was too long ago, but I do recall my last hunt: Squirrels to the left of me, squirrels to the right, looking over the field to the front I can see them massing for whatever squirrels do. I place the crosshairs, slowly start taking up slack...and a Forest Service truck rolls into the view! I wait for another half hour until he finally spots me and drives over to say hello. I asked if he saw the warning signs I put up, that someone was shooting in that direction, he said "well, yeah, but I didn't think to look for you". Sheesh, bright white Ranger less than 50yds from the road, no brush to conceal it, and you drive straight at it until the road turns. Oh well, turns out he made the critters mad, so they were all out cussing at him as he drove away. I waited until he was out of sight behind me and started busting caps. Glorious day it turned out to be anyway; if I saw them, I hit them!

Sam is right Phil, save the heart next time. Deli sliced, and saute'd with onions and lots of butter...heaven. Seems to only work with deer and elk, cow heart is tough.
    Originally posted by cphilip
    <B>This Doe (reportedly Bambi's Mother but we are not sure)
    </B>

LOL good stuff guys! Congrats Caleb! I almost killed a ladybug today with a shirt, but it was gone by the time I got back lol.

ENDO!
    Oldskool

Washington... AKA 'Cocker Country... Come get Some!
    Hey, nice to know that there are some other fellow hunters here.

Over in PBnation, I got in a big arguement with a mod "Accord" he ended up calling me a barbarian or something of that sort because I kill animals, and he's a vegan, etc... Anyway, i don't really want to bring it up again.

My dad and I have gone Grouse hunting together a few times. With a little success. I caught myself a rabbit (yeah, yeah, grouse hunting --> Rabbit, Strange?). 2 over the last couple times tho. I got a nice Barretta Shotgun, 12g. Blued Metal parts for no reflection, 26" barrel. A real huntin' gun.

Anyway, My dad used to deer hunt too. One year he went Elk Hunting, and I'd just like to say, that it was one of the best "Meat Years" I'd ever had. Man, those steaks we got outta there were sooooooo good

I haven't been able to go deer hunting with him. He's only 45 and his arthritis is really bothering him. We only do bird hunting since all you really gotta do is walk around some roads and hope to spook somthing

When I have a family of my own, I'd like to have a son to take hunting.

Originally posted by joeyjoe367
    He's only 45
    God I love this kid!

Hope you do have a family some day. You sound like you will make a good Father.

Heh, how old r u phil?

Yeah, I just hope that I don't get arthritis like he has. He's on some medication. I think it's experimental, but every once in a while we'll get sent a big box of stuff, and he has to give himself injections and stuff.

Kinda sucks that he has to go through that.

Me? Same age as your Dad. 45.

Bad back (ruptured disc L4-L5) but no Arthritis. But I kinda know how it feels to not always be able to do what you want to do. Last time I played I only could go one Speed ball game. And a new E-Mag in my hands too! Frustrating. Hunching down in the bunkers just kills my back when its acting up. And the calves of my legs fall asleep within a few minutes so I cannot jump up and run if I get stuck for over like three - four minutes without being able to stand up. If I can get a stand up bunker I am fine. Or if the low bunker is high enough so I do not have to crouch over I am also fine. If my back is not partialy stressed and sore when I start I can go almost all day without that happening. Some days I can go a lot...some not. Never know till the first game.

Yea, I went hunting once and only once with my uncle

My dad dosen't bother and well now a days I dont bother but it was quite fun. Took a little buck with a .308 at 75 yards. Shot to the head. Never did find the antlers. Had to keep the gentials as proof.

My uncle didn't for some reason like me taking the head shot. I #1 hate chasing game #2 I didnt know the deers internal structure well and I thought I would ruin some meat if I shot it in the side

In the end I was happy and had a boat load of Jerky and Summer sausage.

Anyway if I recall correctly in Virginia to hunt deer there are : Bow, Black Power, Doe, Open etc

Rifles are limited to over .22 caliber, Shot Guns must use slugs. Other than that I dont really recall other real limits of the firearms.

-Robert
    Serving AGD customers since 93, wishing I could beat some common since into some of them about 5 hrs later.

I've never gone hunting... My parents won't allow it.

Who goes bow hunting? It sounds really interesting...

Good Traders:
    Tunaman, K-villeplayer, Magman007, Mastersconi, Jon/xpm, Kenndogg

My feedback if you've dealt with me, leave some...

Fruitcat: it's what AO doesn't like.

I think the gun types and restrictions are state and region based. I know in Florida it was shot gun only due to the flat terrain. In South Carolina it is Rifle, Shot Guns with Slugs or Buck Shot at least #1 (no BB's or smaller) and Calibers over 22 Rimfire on Wildlife Management Land. Also Bow and Black Powder have special seasons and legal to use these two during any gun season as well. Pretty much the same as Rob says Virginia is except the buck shot rule. In SC it varies from Zone to Zone. I think the state is divided into five zones and one of them is Shot Gun only near the coast.

Originally posted by Heat
    Excuse my ignorance but is it leagal to deer hunt with rifles? I though it had to be pistols for shotgun slugs? I've never seen hunting b4, I'm not quite on the up and up on this?
    High powers are illegal in Iowa. You can only hunt deer with muzzleloaders, bows, and shotguns - in their respective season. Each state has it's own restrictions.

However all that being said its important to note that Migratory Game Birds are regulated Federaly by large regions and the States have to follow those rules but my impose stricter standards. They may not impose less than the minimum Federal regulation.

Rob - the reason he didnt like your head shot was because there are so many ways to just clip it and have it live and run off with 1/2 a mouth and become coyote food.

The reason you aim for the center mass is there is a much larger area of vital organs that will take it down and ensure a kill.

Problems or questions with the site or your account? Email me: webmaster@automags.org I collect old guns and paintball gear. Email me if you have stuff to sell!

Paintball Never Dies - www.vintagerex.com

Yup! Bigger target to! And ya can't eat the lungs anyway. Or at least I would rather not...Yuck.

Originally posted by RobAGD
    Yea, I went hunting once and only once with my uncle

My dad dosen't bother and well now a days I dont bother but it was quite fun. Took a little buck with a .308 at 75 yards. Shot to the head. Never did find the antlers. Had to keep the gentials as proof.

My uncle didn't for some reason like me taking the head shot. I #1 hate chasing game #2 I didnt know the deers internal structure well and I thought I would ruin some meat if I shot it in the side

-Robert
    Yeah, generally you want to shoot for the upper chest cavity so that you can hit lungs and/or heart. A shot to the head is harder to hit, just because it's smaller, and such as your situation, you blow the antlers off, and I don't like the Idea of carrying aroudn Deer Genetalia.

You'd be suprised, it's not actually the piercing of the bullet that does the most damage, but the shock that the impact from the bullet. A high caliber bullet placed correctly could probably break the deer's neck and kill it instantaneously.

Bow hunting is where you gotta chase wounded game. Once you land the arrow, basically, the deer's gotta bleed to death and it'll run around for quite some time.

I've heard stories about deer taking multiple killing shots, and going into a bush to take an nap, and die. My uncle (well, great-uncle)is a hunting Guru and he's got TONS of stories. Too bad his health isn't great either.

did you blood him? my first deer my father rubbed the deer's blood on my face i shot that one with my browning medalion in .270 win
    cant wait to get my bushy

Naw. Not too many folks do the Blooding ritual anymore. Mostly just rednecks. In my day it was cutting off the shirt tail. Some actauly blooded your genitals. Stupid fairly recent traditions like blooding are frowned on by most now a days.