Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: the search for the space mag

the search for the space mag

Alright, I've made some progress, but I haven't gotten far enough. Some one out there has to know where the Space Mags are. I'm not talking about pictures, I mean the actual guns themselves.
    I'm taking it upon myself to bring these guns back to the here and now. Hell, I'd even make an offer to buy the lot of them if I knew who to ask.
    So, ask any old schooler you know who has knowledge of paintball's history and help me locate these things. I will not rest until I find them.
    Thanks,
    Dan@Triggernomics

come on guys, you can't all be just 16, some one's old enough to know something!!!
    What about you Tom? Did you ever see them in person?

Hey - I'll keep an eye out.

Lot of the newer guys might not know whatcher talking about.

Jacob
    My AIM Intimidator is better than your Automag. Get over it.
    Hobart Paintball AIM Paintball

I only think there was one and no idea who owns it. There was someone here on AO that had something very similar to a "space" mag that he built, but I can not remember who it was.

i remember, like muz, a single space mag...but thats all...

no idea where they are now though

For as long as I can remember there being spacemags, nobody has ever known where they are or who has them.

i think i saw a picture of one once the memory is far away

The information I know is that the fellow who made the "Space" 'Mags was French machinist, living in, of course, France, and the 'newest' version he'd made was shortly after the RTs first came out, which would have been about '96. There were three, total, near as I can tell- one off custom-built pieces, the fellow made them for himself, not as "production".

I have not seen a new photo since spotting the RT-based one probably in '98, so I strongly suspect the machinist either quit playing, or doesn't speak English and so doesn't visit our same circles online, or perhaps he got hired on to some place like WDP or Eclipse and hasn't even thought about milling a 'Mag in eight years. Don't know, can only guess.

I made a SpaceMag copy about three or four years ago. The "original" style- it was slightly changed over the French fellow's design (among others I flattened the base of the grip to allow a tank or stock to be mounted like usual, and I didn't use the internal air connections) but I tried to recreate it as closely as I could. It was based off a standard 'Mag upper, rail and valve at the time- this was pre-L10.

What pisses me off is that I managed to not get a single photo of it completed, and I haven't seen nor heard of or about it since. I was typically late in finishing it, as can only guess the customer was unhappy with the wait.

However, I have two more rough grip blanks of the correct shape- I had a water-jet shop cut the blanks from plate, which saved me probably eight hours of just rough milling. The bar I had on hand was big enough for three, so I figured what the heck, and thought about making more than one.

However, not having a CNC, the body profiling was largely handwork, using air-tool burrs and body sanders. I thought it came out well, but took a LOT of time and materials. Doing one was a pain, doing three would have been a major undertaking.

Now that you got me thinking about it, I have a boxful of old 'Mag parts, including an L10 kit I've never used, a partially-milled Sluggo body, an old Benchmark frame, a rail and a sear... Want me to build you an updated SpaceMag?

Doc.

.....but wait, when will you have time to update the whiteboard ......

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Nickel
    The information I know is that the fellow who made the "Space" 'Mags was French machinist, living in, of course, France, and the 'newest' version he'd made was shortly after the RTs first came out, which would have been about '96. There were three, total, near as I can tell- one off custom-built pieces, the fellow made them for himself, not as "production".

I have not seen a new photo since spotting the RT-based one probably in '98, so I strongly suspect the machinist either quit playing, or doesn't speak English and so doesn't visit our same circles online, or perhaps he got hired on to some place like WDP or Eclipse and hasn't even thought about milling a 'Mag in eight years. Don't know, can only guess.

I made a SpaceMag copy about three or four years ago. The "original" style- it was slightly changed over the French fellow's design (among others I flattened the base of the grip to allow a tank or stock to be mounted like usual, and I didn't use the internal air connections) but I tried to recreate it as closely as I could. It was based off a standard 'Mag upper, rail and valve at the time- this was pre-L10.

What pisses me off is that I managed to not get a single photo of it completed, and I haven't seen nor heard of or about it since. I was typically late in finishing it, as can only guess the customer was unhappy with the wait.

However, I have two more rough grip blanks of the correct shape- I had a water-jet shop cut the blanks from plate, which saved me probably eight hours of just rough milling. The bar I had on hand was big enough for three, so I figured what the heck, and thought about making more than one.

However, not having a CNC, the body profiling was largely handwork, using air-tool burrs and body sanders. I thought it came out well, but took a LOT of time and materials. Doing one was a pain, doing three would have been a major undertaking.

Now that you got me thinking about it, I have a boxful of old 'Mag parts, including an L10 kit I've never used, a partially-milled Sluggo body, an old Benchmark frame, a rail and a sear... Want me to build you an updated SpaceMag?

Doc.
    Wow MagHog! Doc is offering to build you one! I'd take that offer in a minute! Doc...if you need any parts to hook him up just let me know. I have it all here...
    Email me for low prices on ALL AGD Products and more. tunaman5@verizon.net
    Tunamart

Though not a space mag I saw an unusual frame on a mag back around 96'ish the guy had handmade a frame that was sort of totally ergonomic like those fancy target handguns you see, it even had a timer built into it. I have no idea who the guy was or where that mag is now, there is a slight possibilty that this guy was indeed french as the series of tournaments did have the Ton Tons taking part, well Ton Ton Flinguers as they were known then. I asked to look at it and it was indeed very comfortable to hold.

Quote Originally Posted by Tunaman
    Wow MagHog! Doc is offering to build you one! I'd take that offer in a minute!
    Oh God! Dan + Doc = Amazing works of art we can all marvel at
    Hey, look at that! It's Santa!

Here are the 3 space mags:
    http://www.vm68.com/stuff/spacemag.html

I would love to see a modern spacemag and with doc and tuna behind it I can only imagine how nice it would look! Maghog, dont let that offer pass you by!

I have to admit, it's a great offer. It just so happens I'm working on a spacey looking mag myself, and it sounds like the piece you made could fit on there. How 'bout you sell me one of those blanks (or trade for one of my triggers )and I'll do the rest? If you could post a picture of it here, that would be great.

On another note Doc, you might want to contribute to the article about unusual guns and artwork that I'm doing research on. Any guns showing off your talent in high resolution photos on clean backgrounds could get you a little free advertising. Think about it.

Now, all the contributions to my search are very much appreciated, but most of the info is stuff I already know. I've got the search going in France as well as over here. It's just hard posting on French forums when you don't speak French.
    What I'm really after is a name, an address, or a number that I can land contact with.
    The search goes on...
    Dan

Well, other than mentioning the same Spacemag was shown in the September '96 PGI being held by some fellow in Advantage or Renegade-style camo (with goggs, so no face to recognize) that's pretty much the sum total of my knowledge. I have or at least had that issue, but I can't find it.

You might try bugging Robbo over at P8nt/PGI. He was both an early-PB Brit and a 'Mag nut back in the day, so maybe he can push you in the right direction.

I have two blanks left, but only enough spare parts to build one complete gun, so if you want the other one, make me an offer. As I recall, it cost me over $100 in material and pump time to get these three waterjetted.

They're rough-profiled, taken directly from the original Spacemag pic. As you can see, I flattened the base of the grip- the original gun had an air nipple there for the remote hose, I drilled and tapped for a standard tank/drop/rail mount. They're 6061 flatbar, 3/4" thick like the usual 45 style grip frames.

Doc.

Sweet juicy aluminum batman!!! Me wants one! It would have to be completed though, as in slots for the sear, holes for the screws, pin holes for the trigger and such, but that thing would be absolutely perfect on my new mag.
    I would only be interested in one piece, without any other mag parts(I've got plenty of those)
    I bet you'd find a willing buyer to pick up the other one as a full set up if you wanted.
    I am not pressed for time on this,I still have to finish the E-Mag, so do it when you get around to it. Let me know what you're thinking money wise on one completed piece and I can send you a down payment if you like.
    Thanks for the tip on Robbo, I hadn't thought of him. Haven't heard from him in ages either. Time to get in touch.
    Dan

Wow, if another spacemag gets out into the public, that would just be so cool seeing it in B/S/T....

Finally some one goes and takes on a retro project.. Bout time...

I always wondered where the space mags went myself. During that 96-97 time frame they were just about in every mag and then gone... no trace none of them ever surfaced again....

The strange part is Ive seen rarer gun pop up forsale not sure if any of you would know this gun... but Danny Loves pre shocktech SFL cocker.. black with yellow stripes down the sides. same time period of the space mags and used in almost every JT add that Aftershock was in. And Then in 2002 or so if popped up forsale...

Strange
    Wild Geese - Coney Isand White Fish - ECA
    ECAP - "Making players dreams other players nightmares"

Well I can assure you that if I get my grinder on one of those grip frames, it won't look anything like a space mag. As beautiful as they are, that's just not my style. All that massive aluminum lends itself to some pretty interesting possibilities, especially since you don't have to watch out for air passages and such.

Anyway, back to the subject. I contacted Robbo, and he never heard of the space mag. I linked him up and he said he'd never seen them before. I then asked for the name of the editor of PGI in the mid 90's. He said it was someone by the name of Tim Tighe, but he doesn't know where the hell he is.
    So, anybody know Tim or have an address? I think I have to start going after the old gurus to get some info here soon. I really want to hear if TK ever got to see them or if he knows anything. He remains silent. Is there a hidden mystery to these guns that no one dares to tell?
    I ain't quittin' yet,
    Dan

Get a hold of Bill Mills. He might know something.

There's another name I hadn't thought of, should probably try Jessica too.
    Thanks man.

Bill posts on here all the time, I'm sure he'll see the thread eventually, if you can't get in touch wil him.. I think his Screenname is "billmi"

PBN Feedback AO Feedback eBay Feedback

DIRTY ROTTEN SCOUNDRELS (Rob Kenny and Matt Bradley) LIVE @ www.djinnuendo.com TUES 2/8 - 8 to 10PM

Jerry Braun? That guy knew everyone back in the day didn't he?

Tim Tighe was living in Colchester, same town that PGI is produced from though when I last saw him at his house it was about 8 years ago so he may well have moved and no I can't remember the address.

ShooterJM we have pretty much narrowed down that the Space Mag originated in Europe, Jerry only came over for a couple of Mayhems and that was back when it was held in the woods. Actually strike that he might have been here for either the Campaign Cup or Mayhem again when they were both held within a few weeks of each other and it was the first outing of Sup Air as the fields...GZ was there but I don't recall seeing Jerry.

Talking omg like wtf i busted a nut

space mags? nvr heard of em, but i fell to my knees and worshiped them , its like the holy grail of mag greatnessplease some 1 eaither make 1 and bring old ones back, id die to see more piks, like omg a space mag with a predator?, dw body...uuuuuh....uuuuuh, i cant help it, build it, some 1 please, if u build it, it will come, what it is , is glory beyond wildest dreams

Quote Originally Posted by MarkM
    Tim Tighe was living in Colchester, same town that PGI is produced from though when I last saw him at his house it was about 8 years ago so he may well have moved and no I can't remember the address.

ShooterJM we have pretty much narrowed down that the Space Mag originated in Europe, Jerry only came over for a couple of Mayhems and that was back when it was held in the woods. Actually strike that he might have been here for either the Campaign Cup or Mayhem again when they were both held within a few weeks of each other and it was the first outing of Sup Air as the fields...GZ was there but I don't recall seeing Jerry.
    Yeah, sorry. I just thought that if no one else knew wehre Tim Tighe was at, Jerry might have a few leads.

Check these out there carter "space mags" not the same thing but maybe they got inspiration from the originals and might know something about it

http://images.search.yahoo.com/searc...tt=10&ei=UTF-8

O yea someone mentioned there only being a few made and made for personal use, i thought they where sold becasue wasnt the design suppose ti give it back spin or something..thought i read that somewhere a long time ago...maybe im invention memoires or i did read it and it was not true..

hmmm i cant think of any where else to look..tommorrow at the field ill ask around and ill call another field the guy that runs it is a big mag fanatic or sorts..he may know something ill let you know.~~im interested to find out more about them... exact orgin and such.
    Last edited by CKY_Alliance; 09-30-2005 at 10:55 PM.

Wow, all of this talk about space mags really brings me back! I'd love to see a repro done. Good idea!

Nate

Feel The Burn

[AO Feedback]

PBN Feedback

According to my latest info, they were made by an Englishman. I even found someone who used to own one of them, but that's where the story ends. It looks like they've disappeared into someone's private collection, and like the TLC E-Mag that was stolen from Steve Davidson, they'll never be seen again.
    What a shame. I will keep trying, but I'm slowly running out of options.
    Dan

slowly running out of options.
    Are you blind? DOC just offered to MAKE one for you...