Page 11 of 25 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Thread: E/X-Mag Microcontroller Programming (Atmel AT90S2313)

Talking move out..

mision accomplished..awaiting debriefing on return to base...must transfer p.ow.'s to abu grabe..

Quote Originally Posted by BigEvil
    ...Now with these problems with the programers, its getting really frustrating. Like go out and buy a new gun kind of frustrating....Or, maybe its more like go-and-make-my-own-egrip kind of frustration
    I agree -- out of frustration I ended up buying an EGO just so I have something to turn to when I want more ROF. Its not like I really need 25 BPS, but in a world where Woodsballers are now using Ions, the speed option is nice to have.

I'll always consider the E-Tac my primary Woodsball/Scenario weapon, but I finally gave up on trying to make it into more than its designed to be. But if fate allows me to give the "old girl" a real performance upgrade, I'll sell my Ego. Until then, its Planet Elipse for Speedball duty.

HLD...

Ok guys, I have been talking to the Germans about the ICprog and have orderd one to test. After talking with the guy in Germany it sounds like the perfect solution to all our problems. It will take a week or so to get here and then another week to order more assuming it works. In the interium I have a temporary solution for those of you who are interested...

I have 2 6-pin cables and I found a guy online that will next day air me 4 more, so I will get those Saturday. This gives me a total of 6 6-pin cables. Rather than me ordering an ATSTK500 for each person individually I will refund your money and you can just pay the $60 for the cable and order your own ATSTK500. This way I don't loose money by ordering each one individually. It saves me the hassle of packaging, since I can just put the cable in a small padded envelope.

I will send the cables the day you decide to switch and you will be able to flash your own gun as soon as you get the ATSTK500. This way once I get the german parts assuming they work you could just return the ATSTK500 can I'll send you a much smaller easier to use device for only my cost (hopefully about $40) since you already paid for the cable.

If, however, you wish to just keep the ATSTK500 or if this German part falls through PLEASE send me the 6-pin cable from the ATSTK500 since you won't need it because you already have a modified one. By doing this you allow me so send cable to other Mag users. other than just the first 6 that get back to me.

To be fair, I am emailing this message personally to every person that has already paid the $100 for a programmer and giving them 24hrs to reply. After 24hrs it will be on a first come first serve basis for any of the remaining six cables. This way the people who ordered first will still have the option of getting their software flashed first. After the first six are gone hopefully I will be able to get the six pin cables from the people who already ordered ATSTK500 so that I can continue to get people up and running before we have a more permanent option.

If you do wish to go with this option please just do as usual and send me an email and I will refund your money keeping only $60 (assuming you only paid for a programmer)

I am also working on trying to find a way to make my own 6-pin cables. I will post when I figure out how to do that too which will mean I won't need you to send me any extra cables you have.

Talking ehh

some oen explain this to me in down to earth terms..ionno i just woke up and am tryin to figure out whats goin on..maybe itll come to me..

Okay I went ahead and ordered that @#$%$500 thingy. Is it going to come with everything that I need to hook it up to my computer or am I going to have to hunt that stuff down to?
    Your sending me the modified cord(for the gun), right?

Talking hmm

so we order that german thingy and share cords? or something right? how much more are the german thingys

The german things will be what the ARVISP mkII should have been... an easy to use solution where one end plugs into a USB port and the other is the custom cable I make that plugs into the gun. It will be the same deal as before total solution for $100.

The ATSTK500 is really a development kit so it's bigger and bulkier and more expensive but will also do the trick. It has many inputs and outputs but I will make a detailed manual addition on how to connect it. Basicly you attach one end of a serial cable to your computer and the other to the device. You then connect the power cord and attach the wire leads to a 9V battery. Lastly you connect the custom cable I make from the STK500 to the gun, so It includes everything you need except the Cable I make and a 9V battery. The serial cable and the power cord are included along with some other extras that you most likely won't ever use.

Sorry for the confusion.

To clarify how the process will work if you want to program your gun ASAP and not wait for the german parts.

you send me an email telling me you want one of the 6 cables I have. Tomorrow night I will email the top six that chose this option (by highest in the priority list) and tell them to order the ATSTK500. I will then ship the 6 cables on Saturday assuming I get the other 4 by then. and refund those 6 $40 of the $100 they paid for a programmer leaving me with $60. Those 6 should then buy the ATSTK500 from some online retailer. I will make a detailed addition to my manual for how to flash the gun using the ATSTK500 this weekend and send it to those people and anyone else who wants it. This way as soon as you recieve the STK500 from wherever you bought it from and the Cable from me you can flash your gun. You keep the modified cable that I sent you for future updates or for if you want to flash back to your original software. I am just asking if out of the goodness of your heart if you would be willing to send me the unmodified 6-pin cable that comes with the STK500 so I can modify it for someone else to keep. This way just in case the German thing doesn't work out I will be able to modify the cable you send me and give it to someone else so they can buy an ATSTK500 and use it to flash their guns. If I don't have the 6-pin cables to send to people you will have to buy an ATSTK500 then once you recieve it you will have to send me the 6-pin cable and I will modify it and send it back to you, so as you can see by sending me the cable It just allows everyone to get their stuff faster and with less hassle.

Talking oooh ooh

yeah the initial dumbness wore off, i get it..ill just wait for the german part..

Quote Originally Posted by rudz
    yeah the initial dumbness wore off, i get it..ill just wait for the german part..
    OK, Its official Rudz gets the thread jester award. Dude you make me laugh, the whole norwegian thing and the sniper thing... I don't care who you are that's funny.

Lorne,

The prospect of speed and flexibility for mags has been dangled in front of our noses so many times, and now its finally here. No lawsuits, no corporations forgetting about us... No cancellations due to "lack of interest".

Could this be the endall in the speed-struggle?

I know you'll handle it.

Cant wait until I can get my emag x-moded.

-Alpha

"Ask not what your country can do for you; ask what you can do for your country." -JFK

Talking yippee

Quote Originally Posted by LorneCash
    OK, Its official Rudz gets the thread jester award. Dude you make me laugh, the whole norwegian thing and the sniper thing... I don't care who you are that's funny.

thank you...sniffle..im so proud..snifle..thank you!!!..lol

oooh, this is gonna be tight... got a game on the 25th. i hope i can get it modded by then, cos i won't be able to play again for a couple of months after that

(i forsee a lot of dry firing in my room after that... a LOT )

To clarify how the process will work if you want to program your gun ASAP and not wait for the german parts.

you send me an email telling me you want one of the 6 cables I have. Tomorrow night I will email the top six that chose this option (by highest in the priority list) and tell them to order the ATSTK500. I will then ship the 6 cables on Saturday assuming I get the other 4 by then. and refund those 6 $40 of the $100 they paid for a programmer leaving me with $60. Those 6 should then buy the ATSTK500 from some online retailer. I will make a detailed addition to my manual for how to flash the gun using the ATSTK500 this weekend and send it to those people and anyone else who wants it. This way as soon as you recieve the STK500 from wherever you bought it from and the Cable from me you can flash your gun. You keep the modified cable that I sent you for future updates or for if you want to flash back to your original software. I am just asking if out of the goodness of your heart if you would be willing to send me the unmodified 6-pin cable that comes with the STK500 so I can modify it for someone else to keep. This way just in case the German thing doesn't work out I will be able to modify the cable you send me and give it to someone else so they can buy an ATSTK500 and use it to flash their guns. If I don't have the 6-pin cables to send to people you will have to buy an ATSTK500 then once you recieve it you will have to send me the 6-pin cable and I will modify it and send it back to you, so as you can see by sending me the cable It just allows everyone to get their stuff faster and with less hassle.
    LorneCash,

Thanks for all the hard work!

I hope I understand what you're saying here correctly. If I get the ATSTK500, can I have it shipped directly to you so you can do the cable mod, and then have you ship the whole unit to me? That would save one shipping step.

Quote Originally Posted by robnix
    LorneCash,

Thanks for all the hard work!

I hope I understand what you're saying here correctly. If I get the ATSTK500, can I have it shipped directly to you so you can do the cable mod, and then have you ship the whole unit to me? That would save one shipping step.
    You're right that would save one step but shipping the STK500 will be fairly expensive but the cable is small and could fit easily into an envelope or very small container. That's why I said to have the STK500 shipped to yourself and just to send me the cable.

do we send our guns to you if we want to get the softwear??

Right now LorneCash and a couple other people are the only ones who have programmers. And as far as I know none of them are offering this as a service as of yet. Also I'm not sure about Lorn's stance is on flashing this for people who are not beta testers. Within the next couple of weeks people will be getting their programmers and then you might have a better chance of finding someone to flash your gun for you. Though you should know this software is BETA which measn that there could still be some bugs in it. Your best bet is to wait till more people have programmers and try and find someone near you who's willing to flash it.

Quote Originally Posted by Def Jeff
    Right now LorneCash and a couple other people are the only ones who have programmers. And as far as I know none of them are offering this as a service as of yet. Also I'm not sure about Lorn's stance is on flashing this for people who are not beta testers. Within the next couple of weeks people will be getting their programmers and then you might have a better chance of finding someone to flash your gun for you. Though you should know this software is BETA which measn that there could still be some bugs in it. Your best bet is to wait till more people have programmers and try and find someone near you who's willing to flash it.
    My thoughts exactly... Until I know for sure that there are no bugs I won't flash guns. That's the whole Idea of BETA testing, to work all the bugs out. If you want to be a BETA tester you will need to buy a programmer so I can email you updates as I make them.

Also for all the people who have my software already or who will be getting it shortly please do not flash anyones gun other than your own and possibly your team's. I want to make sure there are never any bugged versions out there that don't get fixed.

would a 100 dollars get me the stuff to get it?

Lorne,

I'm really getting horney on this idea.

I'm fairly electronically oriented.. How hard is it to make a cable? Is it a matter of soddering/shrink-wrapping a few things togethor, or is there more involved?

I know patience is hard but you'll have to try... I've ordered the German programmer and it is enroute now. As soon as I get it I will know if we have a cheaper solution than the STK500. If you want to load the software now you need to purchase an Atmel STK500 and send me the 6-pin cable once you get it so I can modify it. The STK500 sells for about $80 and I charge $60 for the cable. This will cost you about $150 with shipping. If you wait a week I will have the German ICprog and will test that. The Germans assure me that it will work but I'm not going to claim it does until I test it personally. Once I do that, assuming it works, I will order a ton of them and sell them as a package deal, everything you need for $100.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha
    Lorne,

I'm really getting horney on this idea.

I'm fairly electronically oriented.. How hard is it to make a cable? Is it a matter of soddering/shrink-wrapping a few things togethor, or is there more involved?
    Making the cable is easy if you have the crimping tool... the problem is the crimping tool costs over $200. That is why I'm selling the cables. I had to buy it for my school project and I figured as long as I had it I'd try to help out a few other Mag users. I tried for over 2hrs with a tweesers, pliers and every other immaginable tool to crimp the wires without the tool before I bought the crimper but it was impossible.

The Germans assure me that it will work
    Well, we all know we can trust the Germans

I cant wait till this is all figured out and people can flash. I will def. get this for my x-mag. GOODLUCK GUYS!! hope ya get the problems worked out soon!

Yeah this TAG situation is turing into a real fuster-cluck. THey are even having trouble with their new DIY boards. (Which I need a few of).

LorneCashe definatle gets nominated for "AOer of the Year" when this is all done.

ya man i agree....im confused i really dont get how the program can get into the gun i mean like wat do u do?

Quote Originally Posted by cjm555
    I cant wait till this is all figured out and people can flash. I will def. get this for my x-mag. GOODLUCK GUYS!! hope ya get the problems worked out soon!
    ya dude i want one for my X-mag to...i cant wait till ppl can flash cuz i DEFF wont be able to do it myself...GOOD JOB...any more vids on it

Quote Originally Posted by sean33
    ya man i agree....im confused i really dont get how the program can get into the gun i mean like wat do u do?
    the control board is connected to a programming module and the programming is flashed to the ROM chip on the board, which is why there is a programmer and an interface cable being discussed in this thread.

ok and we buy it for how much?