Thread: welts

welts

why is there a circle in the middle of the welt that doesn't get a bruise

simple physics my good man. Think of it this way:
    The first part of the ball that hits you is the rounded, so it caves in immediately, it has nothing but soft squishy paint behind it. On the other hand a fraction of a second later the outer part hits the skin, and it has shell behind it instead of paint. So the middle part hits like a water ballon, while the outer part hits with more shell so it has less 'give' to it.

Another factor (and this is speculation) could be that the shell on the outside when it busts is going to be sharper than in the middle area (you have shell hitting the skin perpedicularly instead of parallel) so it will break more blood vessels under the skin, which is what a bruise is, but I am not sure about that.

Just my thoughts on the question.
    AIM 'thlibo'
    E-mail myoung.cmpe03@gtalmuni.org

my feedback thread:
    https://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=57863&highlight=thlibo

Excellent observation, good question, a little more complicated answer.

The front part of the ball hits you and starts to deform. As it flattens out against your skin (you can see this by pushing it into a table with your thumb) eventually it creates a very tight radius at the edge of the flattened part. At this point of high radius the shell fractures and you now have a paintball full of paint that is acting as a cookie cutter and giving you a ring welt.

Our plastic paintballs are much stiffer but flex very little so they don't flex enough to cause the "ring" in the welt. They just shatter like a potato chip and cause less bruising.

AGD
    Last edited by AGD; 12-14-2001 at 05:49 PM.

thanks for all your help

Welcome. I guess I have enough experience with them to be an expert on welts

Originally posted by AGD
    Our plastic paintballs...
    Tom,
    I remember you telling me about those plastic paintballs at a tournament about a 100 years ago. Were you ever able to market them?

We are making the plastic balls two shifts a day. They are all going for police and military.

AGD

I take it that you haven't been able to gain any kind of acceptance at paintball fields? It seemed to me that you had a superior idea and I for one would like to shoot them. What would it take?

Originally posted by hitech
    I take it that you haven't been able to gain any kind of acceptance at paintball fields? It seemed to me that you had a superior idea and I for one would like to shoot them. What would it take?
    It'd take lots and lots of $$. The Perfect Circle paintballs are very expensive. Not lots of volume in comparison to regular paintballs. So low volume = higher prices.

Originally posted by Gunga

It'd take lots and lots of $$. The Perfect Circle paintballs are very expensive. Not lots of volume in comparison to regular paintballs. So low volume = higher prices.
    Marketing, I always forget marketing. It just seems to me that they are a superior product and "should" out sell lessor products. If only it worked that way...

Hey Hitech your starting to sound like me! - AGD
    Hitech is the man.... - Blennidae
    The only Hitech Lubricant

I wonder how fields would feel about having to deal with sweeping plastic shells.

Plastic paintballs....have you tried putting dimples in them like golf balls? And how did they work?

PRO_Ski101 Guest

plastic?

why plastic?what does it do?also,any chance of putting them on the online store?

I got capped of the break today and it didnt pop. When I checked the welt tonight, there was the little white part, then the pink ring around it, then there was another pink ring around it. How did this happen? I didn't get shot 2 times in the same spot.
    StEEl Grey SoNiC Cocker.The ownage Machine
    Yellow to Orange Fade Defiant
    14in Boomstick-TI
    Orange Fade Warp/Orange-Faded Turbo Rev
    Crossfire LPR 68/4500 w/ red cover
    Black: Stickies, Lapco Drop, Macro.
    PMI 68/4500 w/ Black DYE Cover

Ï ØwÑ ÿØú

Where the beer is deep. The forest is funny colored. Cloud nine is a thought away.

off topic.. well kind of..

Last night on the discovery channel at about 4 in the morning they were showing law enforcment thingys like tazers and paintball pepper balls.. they showed an up close shot of a pepper ball
    AO #765
    CCM Series 5
    Prerelease Impulse
    Hyperframed Warped Mag w/flatline tank
    Feedback.

Good to know that somone of Tom's status seeks "relief" from a sport he helped create. A sport now ruled by a single patent.

Was that the episode where they had the nauseating beam laser gun? They also had paintball filling that had a nauseating stench to it when they hit you. My favorite was the gun that shot rubber 'grenade' like pellets. Lol. I bet you didn't see the one I am talking about though.