Thread: Paintball shell material

Paintball shell material

Question: What exact material are paintball shell's generally made of? I need to write a paper for my materials class and I want to do a little research on prolonging the shelf life of a paintball. I know that a large problem is that they absorb water and swell. I propose that there could be some coating put on the paintball that would prevent this or at least delay it, giving paintballs a longer shelf life. My biggest concern is environmental impact. Can't use plastic shelled paintballs because the plastic isn't biodegradable. Or at least I think it isn't.

Anyway, I was just looking for some material data so I can get started on this. Hopefully someone here knows, or at least knows who I can go ask (Manike).

If you're really intersted I can post the results of my paper after it's finished in a few weeks.

Thanks!

msg tom "AO TOMS WORKSHOP"he makes balls LOL for real im not busting your stones

Quote Originally Posted by Sumthinwicked
    msg tom "AO TOMS WORKSHOP"he makes balls LOL for real im not busting your stones
    I know that Tom either still owns, or used to own Perfect circle paintball. I did a quick serch for that username and phrasing, but I didn't find anything. Can you be more specific?

I wonder if you could put some sort of oil on a paintball that wouldn't be absorbed that would protect them from water for a while, but eventually wash away.

Barring that, maybe some dessicant powder or something. Chalk maybe? I think I need to do some tests.

I think its made from a Polyethylene glycol. Its hardened through different stages of drying after its a coherent sphere.

Quote Originally Posted by vf-xx
    Question: What exact material are paintball shell's generally made of? I need to write a paper for my materials class and I want to do a little research on prolonging the shelf life of a paintball. I know that a large problem is that they absorb water and swell. I propose that there could be some coating put on the paintball that would prevent this or at least delay it, giving paintballs a longer shelf life. My biggest concern is environmental impact. Can't use plastic shelled paintballs because the plastic isn't biodegradable. Or at least I think it isn't.

Anyway, I was just looking for some material data so I can get started on this. Hopefully someone here knows, or at least knows who I can go ask (Manike).

If you're really intersted I can post the results of my paper after it's finished in a few weeks.

Thanks!
    look on you tube, theres a short vid about how paintballs are made, it might help a little.

here i found it for you how paintballs are made

Quote Originally Posted by FlawleZ
    I think its made from a Polyethylene glycol. Its hardened through different stages of drying after its a coherent sphere.
    Polyethylene glycol is the main ingredient in the fill (along with food dye and sometimes wax), not the shell. The shells are typically made with gelatin (like a soft capsule medicine shell).

Kind of pointless but ethylene glycol is basically antifreeze

Quote Originally Posted by geekwarrior
    look on you tube, theres a short vid about how paintballs are made, it might help a little.

here i found it for you how paintballs are made
    Thanks for the link.

Now comes the hard part. Finding out the material properties of a cured shell.