Thread: Emag problem

feedback: https://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?p=2313619#post2313619

Emag problem

I just got my emag today. the previous owner had said that the battery didnt hold a charge so i charged it for an hour and when i turn it on the led turns on for only like a second then flickers off. Is this normal for a dead battery? The previous owner also made an on/off switch near the battery housing. could that be the problem?

Don' ask questions. It is considered "trolling" in some locations.
    The battery should stay red for @ an hour while charging it. After that it will turn green. Is the gun flashing low batt?

A dead battery does exhibit symptoms like that. Usually, even a worn out battery has more life than that unless it has a bad cell. If you have a voltage meter, check the voltage after it comes off the charger and again with a load of some sort. A good load is a household light bulb. It should be over 18v off the charger. It will settle back to around 16.8 volts during general use. 12.6v is absolutely dead. It shouldn't ever go lower than 12.6v.

Check your electrical connections. The board has a screw in the center that holds it in the grip frame. Make sure that screw hole is clean and that the screw is making good electrical contact with the board and threads. Check your wires for pinched areas that may have broken wire. Check your battery pack (inside) for bad wiring (corroded or broken strands). Check the switch assembly for shorts or a cold solder joint.
    Except for the Automag in front, its usually the man behind the equipment that counts.

[QUOTE=athomas]A dead battery does exhibit symptoms like that. Usually, even a worn out battery has more life than that unless it has a bad cell. If you have a voltage meter, check the voltage after it comes off the charger and again with a load of some sort. A good load is a household light bulb. It should be over 18v off the charger. It will settle back to around 16.8 volts during general use. 12.6v is absolutely dead. It shouldn't ever go lower than 12.6v.

Check your electrical connections. The board has a screw in the center that holds it in the grip frame. Make sure that screw hole is clean and that the screw is making good electrical contact with the board and threads. Check your wires for pinched areas that may have broken wire. Check your battery pack (inside) for bad wiring (corroded or broken strands). Check the switch assembly for shorts or a cold solder joint.[/QUOTE

i used a voltage meter and it said it was at least 12 volts it doesnt say exactly
    by inside the battery do you mean cut the wrapper off, under that?
    it could be pretty dead the guy said he hadnt used it for like a year
    Last edited by rob123456789; 12-02-2006 at 10:18 PM.

Inside the metal case is usually far enough to figure if there is a bad wire pinch or something touching where it shouldn't be. Find someone with a proper meter. Just saying its over 12v doesn't help you much.

I went to radioshack and they tested the battery and charger the charger was putting out 25-26volts and the battery only had 11.6 volts after being charged for 3 hours. so that means the battery needs to be replaced right?

11.6volts definately means your battery pack is toast. One of the cells may have shorted or reversed its polarity.

in the corner in a box under the stairs right down the street from jerry's bait shop.
    Quote Originally Posted by athomas
    11.6volts definately means your battery pack is toast. One of the cells may have shorted or reversed its polarity.
    they can do that?
    "Ah yes, I have one of the 32*rebels that I always take to big scenario games. It keeps the truck from rolling if I have to park on a hill." - automikey

ok ill replace it asap
    thanks for the help

Quote Originally Posted by master_alexander
    they can do that?

yes. If they fall to a certain discharge level they can, and it can be quite entertaining if the swell and pop...