Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: The Rarest of ALL Mags ( I don't even have one)

Quote Originally Posted by Dryden
    If you mail me your valves I'll weigh them for you.

If you get the valve back it's stainless steel, if you don't get it back it was titanium.

Im rolling too.

hmmm, this is an interesting story. makes me wonder if my classic is one.

Just checked...nope, no Ti valve on my mag.

Quote Originally Posted by flyboy
    If regular valves are stainless then they should have some magnetic properties. Titanium won't.
    Automag valves were made from 304 stainless if i'm not mistaken, and that is austenitic stainless steel meaning its not magnetic. The only way to tell the difference is weighing it, compare color (i think this will be very hard even for an expierenced metal worker) or machine it (that tells alot about a material to a metalworker)

I have acsess to a Brinell tester at the colege, will that do it? Will I have to scratch it? Will it really leave a mark on glass?
    Jeremiah

How much for the spork?
    "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." --Benjamin Franklin

My Feedback

Thumbs up another reason why Automags are here to stay

This is awesome!

Another reason why Automags hold their value and now some will be even worth more!

Stupid question but will a magent stick to it?

Quote Originally Posted by BigEvil
    Stupid question but will a magent stick to it?
    Whats a magent ?

(just kidding lol)

No, it's austentic (sp?) 300 series stainless steel.

The unit cell crystalline structure is different than that of normal steels. Normal ferrite (alpha phase iron) has a body cubic centered crystalline lattice, austenite (gamma phase iron) has a face centered cubic crystalline lattice.

Same metal, different properties - one of which is greatly reduced magnetic properties.

Quote Originally Posted by Pneumagger

The unit cell crystalline structure is different than that of normal steels. Normal ferrite (alpha phase iron) has a body cubic centered crystalline lattice, austenite (gamma phase iron) has a face centered cubic crystalline lattice.

Same metal, different properties - one of which is greatly reduced magnetic properties.
    Whoa! I think someone's been to school

Quote Originally Posted by lather
    How much for the spork?
    http://www.rei.com/online/store/Sear...=spork&x=0&y=0
    $7.95

I am also a big fan of the light my fire sporks. Very good for a plastic spork.

*aqua_scummm is a spork enthusiast/conneseuir

Quote Originally Posted by Pneumagger

Errr.. ok.. I've milled these kinds of stainless (316Ti is a real pain in the butt to mill) and never got any specific information about the stucture of the metal. 304 is kind of ok to do, but like all stainless steel you will have to be very specific about cutting speeds, or your tools will be gone in no time. The only thing we have on the shop floor is cutting data for that gives us cutting speeds and feeds for specific materials for the tools we use.

Anyway, milling or turning stainless is not an easy task, and titanium is worse. (classified under super alloys)

I have a "smart mag" valve that is slightly lighter than my other valves. It was made to be light though, wasn't it? If not, is it possible that the Ti was made into some "smart valves" ?

wouldnt there be different conductivities of the metals?
    probably would be easier to weigh but whatever

One way to tell is to spark it against a grinding wheel. Ti gives off distinctive white sparks, SS will look orangish.

Ok let the valve destruction begin...

AGD

I rubbed my spork against a few glass things and it left no mark, for whatever its worth

Quote Originally Posted by back2integrity
    I have a "smart mag" valve that is slightly lighter than my other valves. It was made to be light though, wasn't it? If not, is it possible that the Ti was made into some "smart valves" ?
    My smart mag valve has similar coloration. I have a fealing it has nothing to do with Ti but who knows.

-MR

I'm guessing the $1000 reward doesn't apply for a Ti valve with grinding or tooling marks on it huh ?

Titanium and 403 Stainless have different electrical resistivities, so you should be able to distinguish between them with an ohmmeter.

Don' ask questions. It is considered "trolling" in some locations.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Power
    I'm guessing the $1000 reward doesn't apply for a Ti valve with grinding or tooling marks on it huh ?

Titanium and 403 Stainless have different electrical resistivities, so you should be able to distinguish between them with an ohmmeter.
    Dang. You've been here 4 years, and every post you have is informative.

welcome to ao?

4 years and one post?!?!?!

don miguel needs to be your apprentice.

Don' ask questions. It is considered "trolling" in some locations.
    Quote Originally Posted by mag_lover05
    4 years and one post?!?!?!

don miguel needs to be your apprentice.

Imagine the dilema of deciding which thread is worthy of that first post

I wish my grass was Emo so it would cut itself

Super Lurker

I don't believe it was posted and i'm sick of math. has anyone figured out how much a TI valve should way (please mention whether it's fully assembled, partially assembled, etc.)

This is hilarious! I can just picture everyone running to check out their old valve that has been laying around forever. Very comical.

Quote Originally Posted by AGD
    One way to tell is to spark it against a grinding wheel. Ti gives off distinctive white sparks, SS will look orangish.

Ok let the valve destruction begin...

AGD
    Well..........my valve is CF49520. I am not willing to spark it. How would I know if it was one of the valves?

CPPA Member #1875

find another one, compare the color VERY carefully, and weigh the two