Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: The Rarest of ALL Mags ( I don't even have one)

Is the valve AND bolt made from Ti or just the valve?

Quote Originally Posted by mag_lover05
    4 years and one post?!?!?!

don miguel needs to be your apprentice.

Roooooooooolling over this one!!!

Quote Originally Posted by aqua_scummm
    find another one, compare the color VERY carefully, and weigh the two
    Strangely enough, one of my brother-in-laws has an older 'Mag!

CPPA Member #1875

just an idea

not to be saying anything about the former AGD employees, but... Tom have you first thought about who was working for you then. I would guess an employee may have 'reallocated' them to their personal collection. Sorry, but I just had to say it. I think it would be foolish to not consider that angle.

SO what are standard valves suposed to weigh? (and is that without the bolt and spring?) How much SHOULD the Ti ones weigh?

*Bonus points for answering in grams*

so our options are as so?

1. rub it against a metal grinder, orange sparks is steel, white sparks is titanium
    2. rub it againt glass, leaves a mark is titanium, doesn't leave a mark is steel
    3. weigh it, steel is slightly heavier than titanium <--- but how much heavier i am wondering? Heck how do you even get the valve out of the automag classic?
    4. Odometer(whats this? something about electrical current, can someone explain? i'd rather not rub my valve against glass or a metal grinder lol thanks)

ok well, i have an old ti lacrosse shaft (the only pure ti lacrosse shaft modle) but i broke it in a game last year and i also have various grades of stainless,

glass doeesnt leave a mark on either, the grinding thing is true, ti has white sparks, i cant test the weight to give numbers, and and also i just checked the ohms and for Ti i got about 5 and for SS i got about 2 i used 2 sources for both

watch, lacrosse shaft for ti
    and classic valve and swiss army knife for SS
    Last edited by FARMER00; 03-06-2007 at 10:41 PM.

I rubbed my Ti spork against glass several times and got nothing.

I then used my multimeter to read resistance. I have an old field rental mag, and the two valve havles are quite different in color. The front, which is rental specific (no access to air chamber, few other differences) registered at from .1 ohms to .3 ohms. The rear, which is a standard 68automag reg, registered from .3 ohms to .6 ohms.

I had my hopes up that they ran out of automag rears, and put a Ti one on before stamping them, but I doubt it.

AGD/Tom Kaye:

Were the Ti Valves stamped already? Or were they just sitting there unstamped? If the latter, they could have been salvaged for parts, someone could have a Ti powertube, another a Ti reg, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmykaboots
    so our options are as so?

1. rub it against a metal grinder, orange sparks is steel, white sparks is titanium
    2. rub it againt glass, leaves a mark is titanium, doesn't leave a mark is steel
    3. weigh it, steel is slightly heavier than titanium <--- but how much heavier i am wondering? Heck how do you even get the valve out of the automag classic?
    4. Odometer(whats this? something about electrical current, can someone explain? i'd rather not rub my valve against glass or a metal grinder lol thanks)
    Lol. Odometer is what's in your car. An Ohm-meter measure the resistance of a particular object.

Quote Originally Posted by FARMER00
    ok well, i have an old ti lacrosse shaft (the only pure ti lacrosse shaft modle) but i broke it in a game last year and i also have various grades of stainless,

glass doeesnt leave a mark on either, the grinding thing is true, ti has white sparks, i cant test the weight to give numbers, and also im about to go check the ohms on my multimeter any second
    My teammate (coach's son, attackman of course) wrapped a stick around a player at a tournament, and broke his shaft into three pieces. It was amazing, I've seen Ti break, and heard it was kind of brittle, but two fracture points?

My teammate (coach's son, attackman of course) wrapped a stick around a player at a tournament, and broke his shaft into three pieces. It was amazing, I've seen Ti break, and heard it was kind of brittle, but two fracture points?
    i just snapped it in half, but an attackman shaft isnt very stong anyways its was probaly a ti composite shaft,

Yeah, combined with the fact that it was three years old (oils from hands will weaken Ti over time), but still, two fractures. You just don't see that. As soon as it fractures once, all the stress is relieved, no need for a second fracture.

Yeah, combined with the fact that it was three years old (oils from hands will weaken Ti over time), but still, two fractures. You just don't see that. As soon as it fractures once, all the stress is relieved, no need for a second fracture.
    yeah that is pretty sweet, im jelouse lol ive broken over 15 shafts (wood, ti, aluminum and composits) but never broke it in 2 places

Hmmm. That's odd. My mag valve seems to weigh the same as a duck.

Quote Originally Posted by zorrotmm
    BURN IT!!!!

ok no more jokes lets get rich.

Somebody find me a titanium valve

Quote Originally Posted by zorrotmm
    sadly not enough people will understand that

anyways, my cousin played way back in the day and he said he remembers the dude who sponcered them had the ti valve, now his field and proshop was burnt down (mafia related stuff) and i doubt he would still have it after that, but ill call him up and ask him about it (ive played a game or 2 with him, he doesnt play anymore) for ya tom

Quote Originally Posted by Tao
    SO what are standard valves suposed to weigh? (and is that without the bolt and spring?)

*Bonus points for answering in grams*
    12.7g w/ on/off and PT tip and Macro fitting (no bolt)

12.0g w/ on/off and tip (no bolt)

11.6g w/ PT tip but no on/off (and no bolt)

10.6g w/ no on/off or PT tip or bolt or nut (11.1g with nut)

BURN IT!!!!
    Wow, that was a lightning fast response with a screenshot! You gotta admit though, this is the closes thing I've seen to a mag inquisition.

For years to come mag valves may be scratched, ground and burned until the unorthadox alloys that hide among us are found

I keep special pics in my photobucket, you know, just in case

Quote Originally Posted by Thanna
    Lol. Odometer is what's in your car. An Ohm-meter measure the resistance of a particular object.
    Where the dunce am I gonna get an Ohm Meter? Its not like everyone has one lying around in their closet lol. *runs over to Canadian tire* Think the local hardware store will have an Ohm-meter?

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmykaboots
    Where the dunce am I gonna get an Ohm Meter? Its not like everyone has one lying around in their closet lol. *runs over to Canadian tire* Think the local hardware store will have an Ohm-meter?
    They definitely should (it will likely be a multimeter), but you'll need to know electronics basics to use it:

They definitely should (it will likely be a multimeter), but you'll need to know electronics basics to use it:

Jesus christ it's a lion get in the car.... so the Ohm Meter measures resistance again a lion? Ok wait im confused, i thought that other guy said Ohm Meter is the measuring of friction of metal. So how come you mention a lion?

Oh simply to prove the point I made in the post before, that I have a lot of junk in my photobucket just wainting to be used.

But yes, hardwear stores sell them, look for an ohm meter or a multmeter, they require batteries, often odd litium ones, so check the packaging.

Oh simply to prove the point I made in the post before, that I have a lot of junk in my photobucket just wainting to be used.

But yes, hardwear stores sell them, look for an ohm meter or a multmeter, they require batteries, often odd litium ones, so check the packaging.
    O ok thanks, im eager to find out if I have a TI valve, wouldn't that be neat lol. I'd sell it in a heartbeat if I did have it. Probably don;'t though.

Resistance of something (usually a metal wire) depends on both the length of the object (this is the distance between the points you contact with your ohmmeter), the cross sectional area of the object, and the resistivity of the material. Resistivity of materials is temperature dependant.

R = (resistivity * length)/area

So ideally to use the ohmmeter to determine if a valve it Ti, we have to measure a SS one at room temperature (20 degrees celsius) from given points (directly across the valve would work. It's a cylinder so the diameter will the be the same no matter the orientation) and then make sure you do the same measurements on every other valve you test to compare.

I'll be at my shop later this week where I have access to a fairly high quality multimeter. I'll try and get some actual numbers from my Mag valve and work out what a Ti one should read.

Using the numbers that back2integrity posted above, if a SS valve weighs 10.6g that yields a volume of (10.6g / 7.750g/cm^3) = 1.368 cm^3
    If that volume were made of Titanium, it would have a mass of (1.368 x 4.507 g/cm^3) = 6.164 g

Of course, those numbers assume that the whole mass 10.6g is composed of SS for the measured valve and all its components, and that every component made in SS was made in Ti for these sought after valves. If we knew exactly which parts were made of Ti then a more accurate value could be obtained.
    Last edited by Phantom Power; 03-07-2007 at 12:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by back2integrity
    12.7g w/ on/off and PT tip and Macro fitting (no bolt)

12.0g w/ on/off and tip (no bolt)

11.6g w/ PT tip but no on/off (and no bolt)

10.6g w/ no on/off or PT tip or bolt or nut (11.1g with nut)
    Thanks

Holy Cow I nearly choked on my dinner laughing at that thing!

On a slightly more serious note, whats the group's feeling toward how a small out-of-the-way test grind mark will affect the resale value on the non-Ti valves? Maybe done where it can't be seen like underneath where it would be covered up by the rail.

K

Edit: I ask because I sense some hesitance to start grinding to check, but I dont' think a small unnoticeable grind mark will affect anything really. Next time I've got the cutting wheel out, I'll be checking my old valves, resale be darned.
    Last edited by koleah; 03-07-2007 at 12:35 AM.

I was thinking of the back of the valve, like right next to the velocity adjuster, placing it flat against a grinding wheel.

I dunno, as long as it's invisible, can't go hurting the stigma that mags are the best looking markers available!

I'm going to examine other means, including going to the local headshop to price out scales