Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is pump that fun?

kylyo123456 Guest

Is pump that fun?

Hey guys here is the dillema; I don't want to spend that much money on a gun. In my price range what I want is either a nice phantom or a classic pnuemag.
    Pump is appealing, phantoms looks nice, and i would save A LOT on paint which is real nice. This would be my one and only marker, is pump fun enough to be the only type you play?
    I do really like moving around on the field a lot and I have heard that is the way pump should be played!

Tell me if pump rules, or if I should make a classic into a pnuemag!

I should probally mention, because I think it might make a difference, the field I play at typically has a fairly large walk-on group (at least 25+) and we do play speed ball at least a few times in the day.

Pump is definately fun and you will learn to manover like a ghost. You will learn to aim rather than spray and pray. It will form a very strong foundation on how to handle yourself during faster based play. I always recommend that a new player (with us) start with a pump.

That being said, it really sounds like you should head the other direction. If the group (or field) you play with does speedball regularly then you probably should do the pneu. Pump can be quite frustrating in speedball. i have seen few who can handle themselves well in speedball while playing with a pump.

Get a Cocker and a Pump kit.
    You can go back and forth as you see fit.
    You can pick up a new Trilogy off of Ebay and a Pump kit for under $125

If you are an experienced player then playing speedball against walk-ons with a pump it totally doable. If they are also experienced you might have some problems.

Why not get a Sniper II style pump. They are inexpensive and then you could also have the pneumag.
    "Relax. Don't worry. Have a Home Brew."
    -Charlie Papazian

Feedback: https://www.automags.org/forums/showt...threadid=40134

kylyo123456 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by TheTramp
    If you are an experienced player then playing speedball against walk-ons with a pump it totally doable. If they are also experienced you might have some problems.

Why not get a Sniper II style pump. They are inexpensive and then you could also have the pneumag.
    Two markers instead of one...that isn't a bad idea if I find some good deals!

I would def get 2 guns.... I've got about 10 myself... hehehehehee But yeah have both so you can spray when you want or you can snipe when you want...

I play a mix of all of it. From pump to electro's... depends on the mood I'm in.

DM

Talking Go Pump Young Man

I played pump last week.
    Its was a lot of fun. Played all day on a bag of paint.
    Get a cheap Trilogy and go to http://www.pmpind.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=1073
    and get a Trilogy pump kit, and get the pump grip too.
    The PMP Trilogy conversion kit has the pre-bent pump rod and is well worth the extra money
    not having to try and bend the rod. And the pump grip is awesome too, you dont have to loose
    your aim to cock the marker.
    A friend just converted a Trilogy and he played last saturday for the first time.
    He loved the marker and pump play.

Quote Originally Posted by kylyo123456
    Two markers instead of one...that isn't a bad idea if I find some good deals!
    Yes pump is that fun. I turned my classic into a pneumag. I thought the more I shot the more fun I would have. It didn't work. I still wasn't any better. Saw a bunch of guys playing pump in a speedball game and they were ripping faces off witih 1 shot. I went out and picked up a sniper a week later.

I now enjoy playing pump more then semi. Especially speedball!! If the field you play at has a lot of heavily wooded areas then I don't recommend only having a pump. It is too difficult to shoot through the brush and trees 1 pump at a time. A autococker with pump kit might be good for this. Just switch out depending on the field of play.

\Shameless plug
    Pm me if interested. I have an 02 right feed sniper with wgp pump kit and hitman mod. I also have all the pneumatics to put it back to semi. You can switch everything out in about 10 minutes once you get it down. I also have a shroud (plastic thing that covers the pneus.
    /shameless plug

You can hold your own if you are an experienced player. I played pump against a bunch of walkons and held my own till I was the last player out on my side. I also went thru 1 hopper and 3-100 rd pods while taken on 3 electros. Here's the trick with pumps, you cock and aim behind the bunker before you pop out and take the shot. After the first shot, automatically pump the marker for the next shot so that you can snap shoot with 2 shots vs. 1.

Pump is super fun but it would be limiting to make that your only gun. I would look for a cheap Sniper or a Tracer/Hornet as a second gun. Tracers usually can be found for about $50 and do a decent job.

For the record, I own 10 guns. Three of those are pumps.

kylyo123456 Guest
    Thanks for the input guys!

That trilogy pump kit looks nice. I do like the small looks of the Phantom though. Are Phantoms worth the extra money? I figure a could get a cheap trilogy and the pump kit for 100ish and a Phantom for 200ish.

Thats why I suggested the Tracer. Its a Nelson valve design like a Phantom but far cheaper while still being of decent quality. A good choice if you are unsure of your commitment to pump. I own a Phantom, they are great and it is one of my guns I will never sell.

Quote Originally Posted by NoLifeLeft
    Thats why I suggested the Tracer. Its a Nelson valve design like a Phantom but far cheaper while still being of decent quality. A good choice if you are unsure of your commitment to pump. I own a Phantom, they are great and it is one of my guns I will never sell.
    I'd recommend a used ACI Maverick instead. Same gun, but it's the newer version so chances are the one he buys will be a little bit newer.

Quote Originally Posted by warbeak2099
    I'd recommend a used ACI Maverick instead. Same gun, but it's the newer version so chances are the one he buys will be a little bit newer.

Thank you. I couldn't remember the name of the ACI model for some reason even though I used to sell'em.

Yes, Pump is that much fun.. So much so that I took the disadvantage of lower firepower to use a pump in the SPPL this year (two seperate qualifiers, playing for 5 teams total).

Now, in very thick woods, playing pump is tough.. very much so. On more open woods/scenario fields or speedball, I find that I can hold my own against 1 electro, often times even two. Your shooting and movement skills will increase exponentially. You will become much more aware of your situation. And you will have a blast doing it (something about the underdog factor that gets the adrenaline going).. Heck, we even put an all-pump team in a tournament the other month, even made it to playoffs... It was great.

It can be humbling at times, sometimes it'll seem like you don't stand a chance..but if you can stick with it just long enough to get a hang of the basic concepts, you'll have a hard time going back.. I just got my Pnuemag in the mail the other day.. sure it feels great.. but I have a feeling I'll still be playing more with my Phantom.

Now, in regard to which to get. I personally do not like Snipers or Sniper clones (autocockers converted).. To me, if you are going to be playing pump, you really want to play to your advanteges, speed and a light gear kit. Snipers, especially with a tank and hopper, feel far too bulky for me. I love my Phantom, it's very light and tight. However, as they have said above, if you want to save a bit, ACI Mavericks or Trracers will be similar in feel and size.

Hope that helps..
    Lo

Cool Cocker Pumps

I personally don't like Phantoms.
    Cocker pumps aren't as temperamental as Phantoms.
    If you got the green get a CCM Series 6.
    If not you can pick up a used Trilogy on Ebay for 50-ish
    and get the PMP Trilogy pump kit (do get the pump grip while you are at it).
    My friend just did that and really likes his.
    Heres my S6 :

With the pump grip:

Not to seem predatory, but I have a trilogy that I converted with a PMP kit that I wouldn't mind selling along with all of the stock pneumatics (minus the hoses) if you'd be interested.

I already have two other pumps so a third is a bit redundant

If I were you I would try some of the above mentioned guns before purchasing. Phantoms are light. To me they seemed too light. I also liked the pump stroke of a sniper better.

You will find most pump players are very willing to let others hold/try their guns. We're kinda like crack dealers

Quote Originally Posted by smoothice
    We're kinda like crack dealers
    First time is free... but then you gotta pay.

A friend of mine keeps a large box full of old pumps for that reason. Get'em hooked, keep'em coming back.

im in the process of making my 98 custom a pump. i just have to figure out how to mount the pump handle and run the pump arm

It's all personal opinon. Personaly I've found playing a game with a 50round hopper on a gun I' used to more fun than pump play.

but I'm still going to save for my pump mag. Gonna give pump play one more chance.

I just bought a kingman hammer for 75 Shipped, it is very nice and should super fun to play with. I just go it today so i might take it out with in the next few weeks.

Pump is paintball so it's automatically fun

Quote Originally Posted by kylyo123456
    Is pump that fun?
    yes

Quote Originally Posted by drg
    Pump is paintball so it's automatically fun
    so is ramping

I played with a pump for a year, and loved it. from woods, to walkon, to major secnarios, to touniment practice. but i had to sell everything for collage stuff, and now that I am back in full swing, I want another pump, preferably a pump mag.

Pumping is more satisfying. I love seeing peoples jaws drop when I do a run through.

My Sexy:

and here he is rocking that bad boy:

Quote Originally Posted by smoothice
    and here he is rocking that bad boy:

Sometimes I forget how sexy I am.

Justin didn't have to bring sexy back: It never left.

Quote Originally Posted by neppo1345
    Pumping is more satisfying. I love seeing peoples jaws drop when I do a run through.

My Sexy:

wow...what kind of body is that? i'm very jealous...very very jealous

for an awesome gun right there