Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Automag Barrel Adapters Back In Stock!

Automag Barrel Adapters Back In Stock!

After waiting many moons for the CNC shop to run my parts, I finally had to just sit down and run a batch myself. Only had to build two new tools to do it.

Anyway, current orders have been filled, I made a few offers to people who had E-mailed me about them recently, and now the rest are up for grabs. They're listed in my Doc's Gear Store, towards the bottom, with the posters.

As usual, they're 304 stainless steel, and convert any twist-lock-barrel Automag over to WGP/Autococker barrel threads. That's the Automag, MiniMag, Automag RT, E-Mag and even the Sydarm. Each adapter will fit left feed, right feed, hopper-right power feed, hopper-left power feed, and centerfeed.

Each one comes with the adapter, one detent and installation instructions.

Doc.

Good things do come to those who wait.

Ordered one!

great stuff doc ...
    any chances you will be running a batch on 15degrees adapters ?? i need one to finish a pneumag project ...

I hadn't planned on it. It's expensive to just make one or two, and I was under the impression that other shops were making them to satisfy what little demand there was.

You just need the one?

Doc.

Doc - is this the detent they use?

Doc im lazy and i cant email you LOL so ill try here i need a tib 8 barrel milled for freaks or a freak in the same size doable pm me ?????

I just bought one used (that took me 7 months to locate) about 3 days ago!!!

I picked one of these up.

Is there anything to do the reverse? put on autococker thread adapter on twistlock barrels.

Wicked- I'm sorry, but I have no idea what you said or are asking. I tend to be fairly busy, and if I'm swamped, I tend to skip over messages I can't understand or make no sense, and move on to the next one.

Smooth- Sorry about that. I've been waiting about six months, myself, for a CNC shop to cut me a batch. They're sitting on several thousand of my very-hard-earned dollars as well, and as you might imagine, I'm not particularly happy about it.

Evil- Yes. It's a common one first used in Spyders, now also used in Intimidators, Vikings and others.

Death- No. An adapter would be large and ungainly, and the ball would be moving at high speed when it passes the Automag barrel's breech opening. That could well break the ball as it passes, and almost certainly will affect accuracy- besides wasting a lot of air.

On the other hand, depending on the profile of the barrel, and how rare or valuable it is, it's possible to have twist-locks turned down into threaded barrels. This runs anwhere from $40 and up- a little more for stainless.

Doc.

Doc - I sent you a paypal back in December for one of these adapters. I never got any response from you. Do you still have my information, or do I need to send it to you?

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Nickel

Smooth- Sorry about that. I've been waiting about six months, myself, for a CNC shop to cut me a batch. They're sitting on several thousand of my very-hard-earned dollars as well, and as you might imagine, I'm not particularly happy about it.

Doc.
    If only i'd waited 3 more days I could have helped replenish your cash flow.

Either way i'm just happy i'm getting one.

Although now its not as much of a collectors piece

Sent you an email just like it instructed on the website but then found this thread and ordered it through paypal. Also got some extra nubbins.

Ratt-If you have it, E-mail me the transaction number. If you placed an order without checking with me first (before I moved them over to the new shopping cart setup) I most likely would have either refunded it, or let you know the expected timeframe for delivery.

(Which, at the time, was probably the "six to eight weeks" the CNC shop told me.)

Doc.

Evil- Yes. It's a common one first used in Spyders, now also used in Intimidators, Vikings and others.

Doc.
    Doc, I think you're wrong here. Prior to 2004, AKA used F4 Wire Detents. In 2004, AKA switched to a a ball and spring detent system.

Looks like quality craftsmanship as always. Almost makes me wish I had an Automag again.
    Last edited by WenULiVeUdiE; 08-19-2007 at 10:55 PM. Reason: spelling
    Hey, look at that! It's Santa!

I hadn't planned on it. It's expensive to just make one or two, and I was under the impression that other shops were making them to satisfy what little demand there was.

You just need the one?

Doc.
    yeah basically one or two (just to keep one in spare ...) to complete my pneumag setup
    cause i like the raw polished look of the one i bought from you last time and the mag smith don't have them in stock anymore so i'm screwed big time ...
    so if you plan on making another batch , let me know ...

here's how it looks on my mag ...

doc you msg box is full and i cant email things as i have no computer at home but i have a tiberius arms 8 pistol and want to put freak inserts in the barrel can you do this is what i was asking

I just got mine...

Very impressive, I placed my orer on the 17th, and here it is, all the way from Alaska. Looks to be of the workmanship Doc is known for. Giving Doc a 2nd chance paid off. I only wish th first time had gone half as well.

Shives

Doc, You have great timing. I just picked up another Sydarm and vert barrels are a pain to find. These work great and the quality is superb......

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by PumpMag
    Good things do come to those who wait.
    Doc, you rock!

I just got my Barrel Adapter in the mail today! Now that's sweet service!
    My AO buddies were telling me it would take weeks or months.

LOL......my first time quoting myself.

Adapter ordered. I just can't pass up a blue moon.
    Last edited by Badger1099; 08-21-2007 at 09:52 AM.

My Lord has waited too long... like a caged animal.

Ordered three with extra detents...for a special project.

Please ship fast doc!

Quote Originally Posted by smoothice

I just bought one used (that took me 7 months to locate) about 3 days ago!!!

So Doc. I just ordered one.

Wanna hear a funny story?

So as stated above I bought 1 of these 3 days before you released the new batch. Well today the guy refunded me my money because USPS decided instead of delivering me my adapter they would run it over a few times instead.

So i'm hoping the one I just ordered from you makes it one piece.

I asked the guy for a picture. If I get it I will post it. He said he could not believe how they could destroy a piece of stainless steel this bad.

Doc - I sent you an email with my PayPal transaction number. I sent it to the Customer Service address that is listed on PayPal.

Doc's Automag Barrel Adapter

Hey Doc!
    Paypaled you ............... .

Thanks.
    Angel

Got mine....

Thanks Doc for doing another run of these. Money well spent rather than buying a new cocker mag body.

Got mine in today!! Just 8 days from Alaska to the Netherlands!

Thanks Doc!

[edit] I've installed the adapter and screwed on a barrel right away. The first thing i noticed was that there was alot of play on the threads.. I've tried different barrels and all of them were wobbly when schrewed in, and released for half a turn. Ok, screwing them in all the way will remove all the play in them, but i feel it's too much, so i did some measuring.

Sorry, but over here we have the metric system, but i converted the dimensions to inch values.

Measuring the non-threaded end of different barrels and i came to sizes from 21,35-21,9mm. (0,84055"-0,8622")

The hole of the adapter is 22,7mm (0,8937")

The outer threads of the barrels measured were between 23,3-23,6mm (0,91732"-0,92913")

All this was done with a caliper, so measurements are not that exact (within 0,05mm)

I am a machinist myself, and i'm shocked of the tolerances on the barrel threads, and of the adapter... Is this normal? I'm used to making threaded holes, even big ones like 1,5" NSPT and bigger. Usually we dont tap those, but mill them CNC and check with a caliber. The fit must be within tolerances, but the tolerances on cocker barrels have me stumped. Is there really so much play on these threads, or do i just have a flawed adapter? Sure, it works like it's supposed to but none of my other cocker threaded guns have so much play.
    Last edited by FiXeL; 08-25-2007 at 06:36 PM.

Doc,

I have a buttload of barrels that could use some autococker threading, let me know, ill make it worth your while $$$

Fix- There's no actual published standard, at least not an original one, that anyone uses. WGP used a sort of homebrew thread back in the beginning, and it's been sort of grandfathered in ever since.

The guys at LAPCO told me that they've gone nuts over the years, altering and tweaking their program in response to production variations in stock WGP stuff, aftermarket 'Cocker threaded items (like ULE bodies and AIM 'Cocker bodies) and non-WGP guns like Intimidators.

They all more or less match, but there's a huge tolerance range.

Me, I don't have a CNC to make 'em or a CMM to measure 'em to eight decimal places, but what I do have is a pile of 'Cocker barrels. I have no fewer than thirty-one seperate barrels, not counting "kits" like Matchstiks and Pipes that have multiple backs. (Count those and it'd be closer to fifty or sixty complete barrels.)

I made sure each adapter fit the ones I've measured and determined to be what I consider an "average range", which includes several LAPCOs, two stock WGP barrels (that happen to be at least ten years apart in age) and two DYE barrels, a Boomstick and an older aluminum one-piece.

I have a few barrels that are wildly out of spec- a J&J hardcrhome (which was hand-machined, like all J&J's early stuff) a UK-origin Perfect Bore stainless (which fits precisely in stock WGP bodies, and nothing else I've been able to find yet) an Empire that I think was threaded with dull tooling and wasn't caught at QC, and an old TASO stainless which is right on the ragged edge of being too tight for even stock WGP bodies, will NOT fit AIM bodies, and will only fit about 50% of the Tribals, Intimidators and Egos it's been tried on.

Anyway, I tested each adapter on the "average" barrel, but it's entirely possible yours is slightly loose, or even that you have a selection of loose-tolerance barrels. (Inn the baove collection, except for most of the noted ones, almost all the aftermarket [non-WGP] barrels are on the loose side.)

If it's a problem, I'll be happy to exchange it. Actually, I have one adapter here I specifically set aside as it was snug on the LAPCOs, but too tight for the BoomStick, Heck, if you're interested but don't want an exchange, I'll make you a deal on it.

TnDeath- Drop me an Email. Depending on how much of a hurry you're in, I can make you a deal on cutting a big batch of barrels. Just keep in mind that there are some barrels that don't lend themselves well to rethreading, depending on how they're machined.

Doc.